Forums

Closed

Sort:
learningthemoves

Hey, just a quick head's up that will make online chess life a lot easier for a lot of people.

You know how you can go to your settings and select the "rating spread" of players you will challenge and allow to be challenged?

There's many who evidently don't know this feature exists or how to use it.

So what happens is, the system will set the match and then the higher rated player looks and sees there's not many points to win playing the lower rated player and just waits and waits and waits and finally aborts the game.

This is irritating.

No matter what someone's current rating is, their time is just as valuable as someone else's if not more.

The Solution:

If you "can't be bothered" to play someone with a lower rating than you, that's your choice and it's great...

simply go to your ratings setting and set the settings to the ratings that you will play and that you do like.

This way, the system won't waste your time or the other person's time with a game of lower rated players because you have removed that option from being a possibility in the system.

Thank you for your kind consideration of what I believe to be an important issue in that it will save people time.

In before, "I don't care, I'm not going to correct mine, You're stupid, I'm negative, You think you're Tal, the world's out to get you, proclamation from on high, etc."

Scottrf

The world is out to get you, isn't it?

learningthemoves
Scottrf wrote:

No. Not if it knows what's good for it. By the way, what are you hoping to accomplish with that wisecrack?

Definitely not polite, relevant or helpful bud. You can do better.

Doggy_Style

Are you inviting comments this time? or just making another proclamation, from on high?

learningthemoves
Doggy_Style wrote:

Are you inviting comments this time? or just making another proclamation, from on high?

You trolling again or got the thread confused with your usual fire hydrant?

Scottrf
learningthemoves wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

No. Not if it knows what's good for it. By the way, what are you hoping to accomplish with that wisecrack?

Thanks.

I'm saying, you make a OK point, why the final sentence?

Doggy_Style
learningthemoves wrote:
Doggy_Style wrote:

You trolling again or got the thread confused with your usual fire hydrant?

That's pretty good, for you. Bravo.

p.s. I couldn't help noticing that you didn't answer my question. Is it a secret?

brisket

I guess but I sometimes do a game against a higher rated person because I have nothing to lose, If I pull off a win my rating goes up several points, if I lose it will drop like one, and even if I draw I go up.

learningthemoves

I'm all for discussion and relevant, polite and helpful comments.

And not the kind of "helpful" where it's like, "Maybe it would help you if you weren't an idiot" or some other excuse to troll.

The plague of commenters who can't offer anything affirming, courteous, helpful or otherwise intelligent seem to have what they think is intelligence confused with just being a jerk.

In my experience, jerks aren't intelligent. It takes true intelligence to make a genuine difference in someone's life with kindness.

learningthemoves
brisket wrote:

I guess but I sometimes do a game against a higher rated person because I have nothing to lose, If I pull off a win my rating goes up several points, if I lose it will drop like one, and even if I draw I go up.

Yes, the benefits of playing higher rated players are many.

All I'm asking and suggesting is that we set our settings to play higher rated then if that's all you want to play so that the lower rated ones don't have to sit there and wait for you to abort.

Make sense?

Doggy_Style
learningthemoves wrote:

And not the kind of "helpful" where it's like, "Maybe it would help you if you weren't an idiot" or some other excuse to troll.

The plague of commenters who can't offer anything affirming, courteous, helpful or otherwise intelligent seem to have what they think is intelligence confused with just being a jerk.

In my experience, jerks aren't intelligent. It takes true intelligence to make a genuine difference in someone's life with kindness.

I already tried kindness with you, didn't work. You reap what you sow, Sunshine.

learningthemoves
Scottrf wrote:
learningthemoves wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Thanks.

I'm saying, you make a OK point, why the final sentence?

Thanks for that. The final sentence is because I interpreted "the world is out to get you" as implying some sort of paranoia or victim mentality or something. lol. That's not the case with me so I don't think the personal attack attempt is relevant to making sure your rating settings are correct.

learningthemoves
Doggy_Style wrote:
learningthemoves wrote:

I already tried kindness with you, didn't work. You reap what you sow, Sunshine.

You didn't try any kindness with me. "Proclamation from on high" and other insults are defintely not seeds of kindness but clearly feeble attempts at personal attack. And not sure where you're going with "sunshine" but we agree you reap what you sow. The great part is, it's the same for all of us, all across the board. No one is exempt no matter how much they think they are.

Scottrf

I meant your final sentence in the first post of this thread, I think it shows a victim mentality, you're complaining before the first reply.

learningthemoves
Scottrf wrote:

I meant your final sentence in the first post of this thread, I think it shows a victim mentality, you're complaining before the first reply.

Nope, just doing the preemptive to make sure anyone who thinks they're being clever by trifling knows it's not the case.

Immoney5252
Scottrf wrote:

"The worlds most interesting man" lol.....he once played Bobby Fischer blindfolded...

wbilfc

@learn: great suggestion, but I doubt whether many will listen.

casamagna

To "Learnmoves" :  I think it is a good idea as well.  Not only can you set the "spread" in rating relative to your own, but also the absolute lowest and highest rating you are willing to play.

I currently have my limits set to play those between 400 and 800, to insure "easy pickins."

DrDeal

learningthemoves, the antagonism you've experienced from a number of people on this thread suggests your approach to communication may not be effective for discussion topics.

totodile77

intersting topic.worth saying. as for the thread !!!!!!!! it seems trying to preempt critics simply goads them. Or maybe the author understands this and is being mischevious,even a troll provocateur. Good work if this is true.