Weird Things Which Have Happened To Chess.com Players

ponz111
oregonpatzer wrote:

At age 6 or 7 I asked my (Episcopalian) pastor if dogs and cats go to heaven, and he said no, it isn't in the Bible.  I asked him if there is baseball in heaven, and he said no, it isn't in the Bible.  About ten years after that, I stopped going to church.  Karl Marx was right about religion. 

@Ponz111:  I would most assuredly have sued the first neurologist (because I grew up to be a litigator).  He told you to bring your wife to his office?  Nuh-uh buddy, if I'm the patient, you're gonna run it by me first.  Use the money from the lawsuit to build a college fund for your boys so they won't have to take out student loans and live in debt servitude ever after.  Act now before the statute of limitations runs out. 

I was telling this story just the other day, the time I hopped a freight train (Washington state) and rode my boxcar for several hours before the train uncoupled me and all the cars behind me on a spur track in the middle of nowhere.  I looked out my boxcar at a string of cars on a parallel track, and something was moving in one of them, so I went over to check it out...

Two escapees from a North Carolina pen (drugs, they said).  Seven raw Army recruits from Georgia who had just gone AWOL from Fort Lewis.  6-7 cases of cold Budweiser in a stack, and a very friendly black Lab.  Party time!

The next morning I awoke in my boxcar to discover that the North Carolinians were long gone.  I persuaded the Georgians to go back to their fort voluntarily because it would be a better outcome than being arrested by the MPs, and we and the dog walked back to civilization over the logging road they had come in on.   

I was very depressed and had some of the sympoms of Alzheimers but still if he had given a simple test [start at 100 and keep subtracting 7] he would have known I did not have Alzheimers.  After that office visit I was LESS DEPRESSED but got depressed again when my wife filed for divorce in 2 weeks.  She did a dirty trick on me one week after the doctor visit. Went to court and said I was a danger to her. I was mostly confined to one room due to knee surgery coming undone but still was made to leave the home.

Before the divorce was final she stole all the money out of college funds for both of my boys. However, after the divorce, I redid their college funds and now they are both set up to go to college. It is expensive as hell.

You story is quite interesting! 

ponz111

I wrote a couple of books [one co authored with IM Keith Hayward] on the Ponziani Opening (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. c3). Over the years there have been many people writing that the Ponziani Opening is a bad opening. I disagree. Recently the #2 player in the world played Black vs the Ponziani and very quickly was losing.

 There was one particular player who was always deriding that Opening. He did this to an extreme...

 Later I was a member of a vote chess club which played only the Ponziani in all of its games. To play against our team--you had to take the Black side of the Ponziani. We, of course, had a very good record. Most teams we played were losing right out of the opening.

 Over time we added new members to our team. We had a rule about no early voting-- and also all moves must be put out for discussion before voting on that move. In one game, all of a sudden, 3 new players all early voted for the same move. It was a move where our Queen would be placed where it could be taken by a Pawn! We outvoted the 3 and soon ousted the 3 from our team.

 Many on our team were sure that the particular person [mentioned above] did this dastardly thing to our team [I was not sure he did it but thought there was a fair chance he did this]. Accusations were flying.

 Finally this accused person contacted me. He said he was innocent and wanted me to help him prove his innocence! I did not like this person and still do not like him. But it is wrong to accuse someone without proof. And I agreed to help him. When I mentioned this to some on our team they were enraged! About 6 or 7 players were upset with me. This included the Super Administrator.

 It took about a month but we determined that my "client" was completely innocent! A person who lived in London made up these 3 characters and placed them on our team so that later he could have fun by having them all vote for the same losing move!

 My "client" and I contacted Chess.com and gave them the proof we had gathered. Chess.com closed the account of the guilty party.

 Some on our team were still upset with me. The Super would not even look at the evidence. He went on a leave of absence and gave up being Super and was no longer on our team. He made me Super and our vote chess team continued on with good results.

 Two months later the Super came back and wanted to be made Co Super. I allowed this [my mistake] but soon after he started saying how disappointed he was with our team and he was going to set things straight. After about a month, we had words and I resigned from the team.

oregonpatzer

Ponz, I could not play against your club because I don't believe in symmetrical first moves for Black.  I'm trying to beat this guy, not draw him, and the way to do that is to make better moves, not copy his moves. 

I also believe that chess and voting are two great tastes that don't go great together.  A week before the Kasparov versus the world game, the leading newspaper in my old area contacted the 4-5 most prominent, quotable characters in the local chess world.  It had a chess columnist who published about once a month, and he asked us to predict the outcome, and we were unanimous.  I was quoted in the paper "Chess doesn't lend itself to democracy very well." 

DeirdreSkye
oregonpatzer wrote:

Ponz, I could not play against your club because I don't believe in symmetrical first moves for Black.  I'm trying to beat this guy, not draw him, and the way to do that is to make better moves, not copy his moves. 

I also believe that chess and voting are two great tastes that don't go great together.  A week before the Kasparov versus the world game, the leading newspaper in my old area contacted the 4-5 most prominent, quotable characters in the local chess world.  It had a chess columnist who published about once a month, and he asked us to predict the outcome, and we were unanimous.  I was quoted in the paper "Chess doesn't lend itself to democracy very well." 

   Vote chess has nothing to do with democracy , you are missing the point.

   It has to do with discussing , asking questions , explaining plans and ideas. The time of the vote is the most useless one.It only serves a means to keep the instructive value of the game , nothing else.

 

Miaoiao

Wrong, not all players in a team have time enough to particpate in the analysis with full intensity. Also, 'sleeping over' some idea is a good idea, it allows you to look at an analysis with an unbiased mind.

ponz111
oregonpatzer wrote:  PONZ in red

Ponz, I could not play against your club because I don't believe in symmetrical first moves for Black.  I'm trying to beat this guy, not draw him, and the way to do that is to make better moves, not copy his moves. Any normal response to 1. e4 is good including

1. ...e5.  But in any event our tean playing the Ponziani every game was a big advatage for us!

I also believe that chess and voting are two great tastes that don't go great together.They do in vote chess. Playing on a vote chess team which analyzes moves is a great way to learn. 

  A week before the Kasparov versus the world game, the leading newspaper in my old area contacted the 4-5 most prominent, quotable characters in the local chess world.  It had a chess columnist who published about once a month, and he asked us to predict the outcome, and we were unanimous.  I was quoted in the paper "Chess doesn't lend itself to democracy very well." It does in vote chess.

However a supergrandmaster playing against the world which has many below average players is a very big advantage for the supergrandmaster just because he is so much stronger. At a key point in that game the world could have drawn but there was not enough votes for the drawing move.

Vote Chess is a different story than the world playing Kasparov.


ponz111
Miaoiao wrote:

Wrong, not all players in a team have time enough to particpate in the analysis with full intensity. Also, 'sleeping over' some idea is a good idea, it allows you to look at an analysis with an unbiased mind.

What happens on the vote chess teams I have been on is that all players are encouraged to ask questions and make suggestions for moves.

Then some of the strongest players comment on the moves--pros and cons. Diagrams are used and lines of play are analyzed.

No voting until the last 24 hours. By that time--usually one move is seen to be best and gets most of the votes.

Not all vote. If they have not had time to analyze [or at least to view the analysis] they often do not vote.

But the whole process is quite instructive to all the players, including the top players.

Miaoiao

yes

ponz111

Today is Friday the 13th.  On another Friday the 13th about the year 1964 I am a senior in college and applying for a job.

Before the application for the job [with the State of Illinois] I had been given a test and scored highest out of 18 applicants. Apparently they interviewed only me and the person who scored 2nd hightest.

There were two ladies interviewing me. One was the mother of my girlfriend.............. When I was in the interview the other lady said

"You know Mrs Park, don't you?" and I said "yes".

My girlfriend was pregnant.  After the interview my girlfriend and I got married and also found an apartment.  A busy day on Friday the 13th!? 

PS I got the job... 

Pulpofeira

My future MIL interviewing me, I would pick Jason Voorhees and his chainsaw anytime instead.

IMBacon
Miaoiao wrote:

I once heard that chess players are getting Alzheimer less likely. 

Between chess, and the ketogenic diet, im feeling really good about my mental health, and staying healthy.