Forums

What's is Magnus Carlsen's IQ?

Sort:
rsvan

kasparov's iQ that had been said around 190 was a lie,the fact the formal iQ test that kasparov took had result 135,and carlsen is too afraid to test his iQ

Enderman1323
rsvan wrote:

I'm a nutty conspiracy theorist

Nice to know

Siddio

There is a Relation between Chess And IQ as it relates by your moves

AlexHuy

magnus is around 190

Nickalispicalis71
Twobit wrote:

So, you can find it on the net:

Garry Kasparov: 190

Bobby Fischer: 167

Judith Polgar: 170

Robert Byrne: 170

But Carlsen, should we guess, would be around 180-190

Kasparov at 190 is just laughable.  The man is not intelligent at all.  He has no university education.  Outside Chess, he is very ordinary.  105 at best and that is being generous. 

johnzade

Chess is not a paradigm for a complex empirical system.  In chess, there are only a handful of pieces, with a couple of unique functions.  Chess involves very linear types of relationships - a lot of this happens, so then that happens, so therefore - meaning it will require a lot of computational power, to think through different sequences of moves.   However, in truly complex fields, like mathematics of physics, there are a vast amount of unique rules, that span various sub-fields, and these rules often have to be integrated in parallel, in some unpredictable, non-linear, way, to achieve some unique result (one can't solve a problem just by saying this - then that, so therefore).  Because the elements of information that are practically relevant are unknown, this process of integrating occurs empirically - in other words, with some trial-and-error type thinking (intellectual tinkering), until certain distant ideas, begin to be associated together.  Then without knowing it, when examining this system of creatively integrated elements (Einstein referred to this system as a "free invention"), in a sudden moment of reasoning, one realizes a new idea.   As an example, Einstein's time dilation thought experiment is a brilliant synthesis involving light clocks, piloted spaceships, light rays, and a stationary ground observer.   So as for Chess, it really gives us an idea of intuition/expertise in a small (visual) system, but in larger systems, solving a real world problem, not every rule that is relevant is known, and it relies on some juggling of many known possibilities, and associating these in many new ways, between many short bursts of conscious reasoning, until one can produce a new idea of practical value.

VeryAnonymousPatzer

Chess technically shouldn't change the IQ level I think.

LoekBergman

@johnzade: football is a simple game between two teams of eleven players and in the end the Germans win. That is a quote of Gary Lineker. Sometimes a situation is unnatural simple, but whatever field of expertise one is working on, the maximum complexity is defined by human intelligence. That is independent of the subject.

Chess and physics are both imho fields of high complexity, yet in a totally different way. When you are playing chess, you will find yourself within several moves in a new position. Although a lot of things are understandable, there are quite often exceptions to the rules or new patterns available. One has to see it for themselves. The position want tell anything. However,  if you would ask me what is the most complex subject of study, then I would say oneself or any other human being.

The field of study never stops changing and it is very difficult to see what is actually what you add yourself to the perception of the subject or that it is truly a part of the subject of study. Or that it is something that appears in reaction to you specifically. Or that it is something that is perceived to be appropriate in the social context. Or...

MonarchialGambit

Carlsen’s IQ is probably around 190. Since a young age, he would tackle complicated problems. At the age of 5/6 he build Lego structure designed for 14+ years old. I have no doubt Carlsen is quite intelligent.

Farmer712

If you have a high IQ why cant they do nuclear physics problems in their spare time, play a Beethoven solo violin concerto,  and speak 4 languages?  If I have a high chess IQ, should they take off points for the coaches, etc? What keeps them at it when I quit and go home? 

LoekBergman

There are many forms of high IQ, it is not just about mathematics or spatial awareness. Ronaldo and Messi have a very high fysical IQ. There are people with very high social IQs. Some can sell everything they want, other ones are very emotional sensitive, other people can inspire other people. There are so many different kinds of IQ, saying I have a high IQ is not precise enough to specify what your special capabilities are.

If Magnus Carlsen would not have chosen chess, yet has this type of high IQ, then is it still impossible to say in what other region he could excel. It might be art, journalism, music or software engineering or mathematics or literature or...

Rat1960

IQ measures intelligence in a rather specific way. It does no measure talent.
I admire MC's talent to play multiple games without sight of the boards.

Minarima

It's likely just above average. who knows though, could be lower, could be higher.

MonarchialGambit

No it is much higher than average. 

ponz111

He is intelligent. He is a genius at chess. Who really cares what he would exactly get on an IQ test?

However to say he is just above average is not likely to be true. He is higher than that.

ponz111
zaeema wrote:

Chess technically shouldn't change the IQ level I think.

Why not? It teaches you to think...

But, seriously, chess requires good memory, good problem solving, very good spatial  and creativity. All of these are part of IQ tests are they not?

So, if someone greatly excels at these things--he must have a pretty high IQ.

MaestroPaganini

IQ defines your ability to learn new things. People with high IQ can pick up or learn new things very quickly, even learning new language or playing new instrument at the later age. People with low IQ can only do simple tasks or jobs (can not become a doctor, engineer, lawyer, etc.)

Minarima

People always overestimate IQs, especially their own. Magnus Carlsen is likely just above average, which is good enough.

ponz111

To play chess at such a high level you need:

1. high creativity

2. very high spatial

3. very good memory

4. high ability to solve problems

5. ability to think long and quick

These are some of the things tested on most IQ tests.

So Magnus must have a minimum IQ of about 135 and a maximum IQ much higher. 

In no way is  he only just above average...

Minarima

Let's be honest now, there are many 'savants' in this world who have extreme ability in one specific area, yet are very average if not deficient in others. I'm not saying that Magnus Carlsen is a savant, only that an extreme ability does not necessarily equate to an overall high IQ. 

I can draw and paint better than 99.99% of people, but that doesn't make me a genius.