Forums

Which Chess player do you think there should be a movie about?

Sort:
goldendog
trysts wrote:

I don't see why a chess player cannot be as interesting as a banker, writer, sports person, etc?

If you add splosions, sure, he could be interesting.

trysts

You could do a movie on the Polgars. That would be cool! Have Vivaldi playing in the background while the sisters impress the chessworld. You could switch the score to Wagner when Dear Bobby visitsLaughing

trysts
BradStone19 wrote:

Maybe aliens.  Yes, spies and serial killers are slightly more interesting than chess players. 

Unless you are trying to re-cast this discussion to mean "what movie would five people on a Chess website like to make?"

I would like to re-cast this discussion to "why is BradStone talking?"

DrCheckevertim

Let's make a movie about BradStone19 trolling the internet.

Starring Morphy as President.

trysts

Obviously, a complete moron can become President of the United States. It appears to be a figurehead title.

But really, to call this topic "ridiculous", only demonstrates that you have not been to the forums much. This is actually an interesting topic. Much better than your interest in serial killers.

dashkee94

There are some plotlines involving chess that Hollywood could do that could be made into successful movies (read: complete BS, historically): Morphy as a Confederate secret agent in Europe; Alekhine as a secret infiltrater of the Nazis for Stalin; CHOD Alexander and the breaking of ENIGMA (a kind of a WW2 James Bond thing, as Alexander and ENIGMA is a true story).  You could do as farse several tournaments or matches without deviating far from the historical record, not to mention any number of "Pride and Sorrow" -type bio-pics (Morphy, Steinitz, Pillsbury, Ruebenstein, Fischer, even Ivanchuk, though it would be difficult to do him, 'cause he doesn't seem to consider being crazy as a bad thing).  Hollywood will not touch these until movies about chess generate a profit--so for Fischer you get a guy named after a kitty-cat instead of Nicholas Cage, who could do serious justice to the role.

Spiritbro77

It's about time Hollywood started making quality dramatic films again. Plenty of proof right here in this thread that they aren't doing so now. The belief that a movie needs explosions or aliens or some other special effect to be good is a sad commentary on our society and our film industry.

A really good movie doesn't need any of that.

trysts
Spiritbro77 wrote:

It's about time Hollywood started making quality dramatic films again. Plenty of proof right here in this thread that they aren't doing so now. The belief that a movie needs explosions or aliens or some other special effect to be good is a sad commentary on our society and our film industry.

A really good movie doesn't need any of that.

+1!

batgirl

Well, Hollywood had already had its brief affair with chess:
Hollywood Chess
Hollywood Chess II

trysts

I wonder if Herman Steiner was related to Max Steiner, the composer of many famous movie scores for films like "Gone with the Wind" and "Now, Voyager"?

batgirl

Did Max also emigrate from Slovakia?

trysts
batgirl wrote:

Did Max also emigrate from Slovakia?

From wikipedia, they were both born in Austria-Hungary. But a relationship is not mentioned that I can see.

batgirl

So, they came from the same region?  about the same time?
I'd never heard of Herman having siblings, but it's entirely possible.

nebunulpecal

Lasker and Tal

dashkee94

I think it will take an independant to make the first successful chess movie, like "Billy Jack" making martial arts-themed movies respectable.  Maybe a Sherlock Holmes-type, using chess instead of 7% solutions and "Turkish" tobacco (for those who've read the stories), based on a Nicolas Rossolimo lifestyle; multi-lingual, brown belt, waiter, cabbie, musician, grand master.

trysts

How about a movie about BradStone's parents grounding him for breaking the toaster? Or, BradStone confused about the microwave oven? BradStone runs away from home trying to find himself in the neighbor's garage? BradStone discovering rocks? BradStone inventing paper towels?

macer75

Anybody mention Borislav Ivanov yet? Him and Bobby Fischer are the two that come to mind.

DrCheckevertim

"Bradstone learns how to do laundry on his own" The Movie

malko

Ruy López de Segura or Philidor.

trysts

I'm not sulking, I just think my BradStone movie ideas are better than your shapeshifting vampire films.