Forums

Can't find a 15|10 match

Sort:
ToadyCody

I'm ranked 713, but I'm really not anywhere near this good. I've been searching for a match between -400 and 0 (313 and 713), but the match maker can't find any. I haven't won a single game on the site yet, so I'm trying to get my rank low and play low ranked opponents. Sometimes the matcher will find a match after like 10 to 20 minutes, but often I look away from that screen, and the match is abandoned within seconds. The tab title doesn't change to let me know it found a match either, and there's no way I'm going to watch the matchmaking screen for half an hour hoping that it finds one. The system has abandoned so many games that it's cited me for a violation of the fair use policy, so I also have to wait 5 minutes after a game is abandoned to search for a new one.

I'm just not good enough to wrestle my way back up to 1000, where I can actually find matches. Do lower ranked players usually play on another game mode other than 15|10, or am I just SOL?

kamuimaru

Maybe try some time that's in the morning. Not a lot of night owls here

ToadyCody

That's a good point. I wish there was a way to know when it has found a match. I bet lots of people get fair use policy violations for this.

kamuimaru

When it finds a match, a new tab is made and a sound is played so you are alerted.

kamuimaru

Well, at least for me.

ToadyCody

It doesn't open a new tab for me, and I'm listening to music. I posted a suggestion asking to have the tab title changed when it finds a match. http://www.chess.com/forum/view/suggestions/change-tab-title-when-match-is-found

molokombo

there probably aren't that many people rated between 400 and 0. that's ridiculously low.

maybe spend this time reading over the website on tactics that scottrf pointed you towards in the other thread. 

samir_naganaworkhere

I see based on your recent posts you've been tanking games to hit some arbitrarily low level, and so now the system is perhaps finding it difficult to match you with an opponent low enough to meet your artificially reached standard.

Since everyone at chess.com starts with a rating of 1200, honestly, for this reason, those whose rating is 1200 and below might as well be the same rating.  There's no reason to tank your games, since even if you come across the occasional seasoned veteran who just happened to create a new account, those types of players rarely stay at that level for long, and so being matched against those shrouded vets aren't likely.

ToadyCody

I just got my first draw, against a 560. That's only because he made an obvious mistake. I've read a bunch about tactics but I'm still bad.

I'm looking for matches between 300 and 700. 400  below my level to 0 below.

ajttja

why don't you join tournaments, there you can get a game and you know exaactly when it will start.

ajttja

the reason he made an obvious mistake is because that is how bad players with that rating are! everyone rated 560 is that bad.

ToadyCody
ajttja wrote:

why don't you join tournaments, there you can get a game and you know exaactly when it will start.

I'm banned from tournaments because of my fair play policy violation. I kept waiting around 20 minutes to find a game, but the system only gives you 15 seconds to notice that you found a match. I can't keep checking on the tab every 10 seconds for 20 minutes, so that happened and I now have to wait 5 minutes between games.

It might be faster to make a new account and tank it back down to 700 than waiting 5 minutes between every game. Good job Chess.com.

ajttja

you are not aloud to make another acount, it is considerd cheating.

molokombo

i'm amazed people still have the patience to try and help this guy.

ToadyCody

I could just delete this account first then replace it, right? I wouldn't have 2 accounts in that case. That wouldn't be cheating.

ajttja

um... i don't think you can delete an acount, and even if you did i'm not sure that is alowd, the staff made these restriction for people for a reason.

ToadyCody
molokombo wrote:

I'm terrible at the game, I can't find any matches, and I'm half-banned because I looked away from the matching screen after watching it for 15 minutes. I've had a horrible experience on this site so far with it's matching system. I've been reading tactics for several hours, and have improved a bit, but I'm still terrible.

I'm doing everything I can to get better and enjoy myself, but that isn't good enough for elitist pests like you. No, you'd rather flame me for being a noob.

ajttja

the reason is you are half banned is because you only try to play players under 700 so it takes a very LONG time, if you alowd som higher rated players to play then it would be much faster.

molokombo
ToadyCody wrote:
molokombo wrote:

I'm terrible at the game, I can't find any matches, and I'm half-banned because I looked away from the matching screen after watching it for 15 minutes. I've had a horrible experience on this site so far with it's matching system. I've been reading tactics for several hours, and have improved a bit, but I'm still terrible.

I'm doing everything I can to get better and enjoy myself, but that isn't good enough for elitist pests like you. No, you'd rather flame me for being a noob.

i have no problem with your chess ability. you are just an insufferable whinge.

ToadyCody
molokombo wrote:
ToadyCody wrote:
molokombo wrote:

i have no problem with your chess ability. you are just an insufferable whinge.

Most people who find this site probably get beaten 20 times, then find they are ranked so low that nobody will play them and they get fair play violations. I'm just talking about it, that's all.

You can't possibly think the above is okay.