Forums

Trouble embedding chess games in mah posts!

Sort:
justice_avocado

Hey hey hey

Last time I had a question everyone was super-de-duper helpful, so I'm hoping that this more advanced question will still be easily solvable by all you wonderful people out there in our little community.

So, I'm annotating one of my friend's games for him. It's one of those helpful little exercises that we do together to improve. Well, this last game, I embedded into a "News/Message" item for our group (Taebaek. Always.). I made a comment about almost every single move in the game. When I tried to publish the note, however, I always had the same problem:

The board would appear as desired, but the move list would only go up to move 13. The rest of the move list, including my comments, would appear as text (in proper PGN format) immediately below the board.

What gives? Is there a word limit that I am exceeding, with this as a result? Or have I discovered a glitch? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

justice_avocado

Here's a screenshot of the problem. I can post the full PGN, too, if that would be helpful.

Trentski

hey, that's a lot better than what has been happening in mine...  I wonder if it's because it's a news article...

there's definitely some kind of glitch, I'd say.

erik

post the full PGN in text here - there is certainly some character that is breaking the viewer.

justice_avocado

Thanks, Erik. I've gone over this several times, but I can't find anything. Perhaps the PGN reader gets confused when I write full notation in my annotations? Or, as is more likely the case, am I just not seeing a pretty obvious problem with the code? Embarassed

[Event "Online Chess"]

[Site "Chess.com"]

[Date "2009.07.16"]

[Round "1"]

[White "JDudar"]

[Black "Trentski"]

[Result "0-1"]

[WhiteElo "1589"]

[BlackElo "1534"]

[TimeControl "1 in 3 days"]

[Termination "Trentski won by resignation"]

1.e4 c5 { Sicilian Defense } 2.Nf3 { The most common reply by a margin of 600,000 games. } 2...Nc6 { One of the three most common replies (all more or less equal in number of games played, give or take ten thousand). } 3.d4 { The most common move by a margin of 60,000 games. } 3...e6 { Sicilian Defense: Franco-Sicilian Variation } 4.Bb5 { Out of 5,500 master games from the previous position, only 3 have proceeded with this move. Perhaps this is white's first error. } 4...Qc7 { Now we are completely "off book". (For what it's worth, two of the masters played 4...cxd4 with one victory for black and one draw, while another master played 4... d5, resulting in a draw.) } 5.d5 { Taking a stab at the center. One of white's long-term mistakes will be not making any effort to support this pawn with a move to c4. } 5...exd5 { Taking away d5's support on e4, clearing a file. Personally, I'm hesitant to clear the king's file if I don't have a castle in the immediate future, but that's not exactly a hard rule. In this situation, removing d5's support was probably correctly identified as the priority. } 6.exd5 { Forcing the knight, pinning black's d-pawn, gaining a tempo. But can white follow through? } 6...Ne5 { Centering the knight, protected by the queen--also, ensuring that white won't move its queen anyplace fancy, as it must protect the knight on f3 to preserve pawn structure. } 7.Qe2 { Pinning the knight. White noticed that black doesn't have a castle prepared, and is capitalizing on that. On the other hand, black might have been better served pinning the knight to the queen with 7. Bf4, as this move loses tempo and also restricts white's light-squared bishop somewhat. } 7...f6 { A good enough move. Perhaps 7... Bd6 would have been better timed, but I guess it's all going the same place. } 8.Bf4 { Building more pressure on e5. White should have done the math ahead of time...there's no way he can get enough firepower in time to win anything. The ensuing arms race on this square is a big mistake for white. He should be withdrawing his light-squared bishop and advancing his c-pawn, looking towards a queenside system. } 8...Bd6 { This presents a big problem for white that neither player notices yet. Black has two attackers on f4 (the bishop-queen gun), but white has no defenders. If black covers or moves his king, and then exchanges knights on f3, white loses a piece. } 9.O-O { An indirect attack on e5, as white plans to pook his rook out onto e1. } 9...Ne7 { A good developing move, with a look towards g6 to support e5, or, alternately, an attack on d5. Also, this presents the danger of black taking white's f4 bishop. } 10.Re1 { White continues after e5, still not seeing black's attack at f4. } 10...N7g6 { Foolish. Black had a free piece on f4, but decided to protect e5 instead. } 11.Bg3 { White no longer has to fear the combination I've been talking about (black's king is exposed again), but this ensures that he never will. } 11...a6 { Black gains space by pushing back white's bishop, also freeing the black king. } 12.Ba4 { Bad move. 12. Bd3 would have been better, attacking blacks g-knight. White's e-knight is pinned to the king, so white's bishop would be quite safe (even without the supporting c-pawn). This would have given white time and defensive ability to play 13. c4. Alas. } 12...b5 { Correct play by black. If you're not gaining material or tempo, you should be gaining space. This move gets two of the three. } 13.Nxe5 { A bad move. "Never trade when you're down" is as close to a law as you'll find in chess, and white is unquestionably down. Perhaps not in material, but his light-squared bishop committed suicide on move 12, and will now inevitably be taken by the wall of black queenside pawns. Also, white has one advanced pawn, with all the others huddling in their homes. This is a classic developed vs. undeveloped position. White doesn't have the stamina to survive. } 13...Nxe5 { duh } 14.Bxe5 { Again, white should not have taken, but tried to re-harmonize his pieces, perhaps pulling out his b-knight (the light-squared bishop is a goner no matter what, with black's c-pawn past white's d-pawn). } 14...Bxe5 { Black is up, and is acting like it. } 15.Bxb5 { This is a "might as well" move, but I don't agree with it. Black clearly has potential attacks on b2 and h2, so this pawn will be won back anyway. Instead, white should have played 15. Nd2, protecting c4, where he would eventually move his pawn. Black would still have no attack, as his bishop is pinned to his king. } 15...axb5 { Black has pawn structure, development, and two potential attacks (b2, h2; but both players should remember that these attacks hinge on black unpinning his bishop from his king). The reason white is in such deplorable condition is because he mistakenly thought he could get something out of e5, which was futile from the start. } 16.c3 { A waste of time. As I've said many a time already, black's bishop is pinned to his king, and white should be mobilizing his knight instead (freeing his rook, making the attack on b2 much less dire). } 16...O-O { Getting the king out of danger, freeing the dark squared bishop for attack. Notice how white is not prepared for this. This is white's second "long-term" strategic mistake. White saw black's dark-squared bishop as a threat long before it actually was. And now white has to develop under a rain of fire, rather than in tranquility. } 17.Nd2 { This should have happened a long time ago. } 17...Bxh2+ { It's hard to say no to free stuff. } 18.Kf1 Ba6 { Potential queen-king pin. } 19.c4 { There really weren't any very good moves for white. This is called "zugzwang": http://www.chess.com/article/view/zugzwang2 } 19...b4 { Better than capturing: 19... bxc4 20. Nxc4 Bxc4 21. Qxc4. Black wouldn't win any material, and white's queen would have a revealed attack on black's king with 22. d6+. } 20.b3 { Trapping black's bishop in. Black should work harder than he does to free it. } 20...Rae8 { Providing the light-squared bishop an unencumbered retreat to the back rank, dismantling white's queen-rook gun. } 21.Qf3 { Protecting the castle. } 21...Be5 { A transitional move, not just a cheap shot at the rook. Black needs to reconfigure its attack to accommodate the closed pawn chains. Black does a good job here, but does not do a good job with his other bishop. } 22.Rac1 { Perhaps d1 would have been better, landing the rook on a light square as well as supporting the forward pawn. } 22...Bc3 23.Rxe8 { A good trade by white. This is one of the exceptions of not trading when you're down. White can now look for salvation in its pawns without worrying about a rook pair. } 23...Rxe8 24.Ne4 Qh2 { Threatening to take the rook. } 25.g3 { Smart move by white. } 25...Qh3+ 26.Kg1 Bd4 { Pressuring the king, protecting the c-pawn. } 27.Re1 { Stupid. White is voluntarily pinning his own knight, as moving it would be checkmate. } 27...Kf8 { This seems like a waste of time. White's knight is pinned, white's queen can't stray too far from its king... Black should have used this opportunity to advance its d pawn, thereby freeing the light-squared bishop. } 28.Qg2 { Offering a trade, hoping for a passed pawn supported by the knight. } 28...Qf5 { Declining, putting more pressure (but not enough pressure) on f2. Better would have been 28... Qh6, followed by 29... f5, winning the knight. } 29.g4 { Very unstable move, breaking a pawn pair and attacking when white should have been defending. } 29...Bxf2+ { The correct response to white's feeble attack. } 30.Qxf2 Qxg4+ 31.Qg2 Qxg2+ 32.Kxg2 { White nets one point. } 32...f5 { Hoping to win the knight. } 33.Rf1 { Smart reply. } 33...g6 34.Ng3 { White gets this weird idea into its head that if win spins its knight around in circles enough times, he will win. } 34...Bc8 { Finally working to free the bishop. Standard preparation for the endgame (although this move should have been played much earlier). } 35.Nh1 d6 { Freeing the bishop, stopping the advanced pawn. } 36.Nf2 { Whoa, I'm getting dizzy! } 36...Re2 { Pinning AND forking = Porking. I guess you could say this is when black moves in for the hard fucking. } 37.Kf3 Rxa2 38.Nh3 { One more time around, mom, pleeeaaasse!?? } 38...Rb2 39.Nf4 Rxb3+ { Winning a second uncontested point. } 40.Ke2 { To be fair, a single knight is much less powerful in the endgame than a single bishop. Given black's superadvantage in pawns, white basically has no hope. } 40...g5 41.Ne6+ { Looking to pass a pawn and promote, forgetting that black has a rook and a king to defend with! } 41...Bxe6 42.dxe6 f4 43.Kd2 { Avoiding the fork. } 43...Re3 { The pawn is gone. } 44.Kc2 { Futility } 44...Rxe6 { White resigns seven moves late } 0-1

erik

my guess is it's the quotes, beginning with "Never trade pieces when you're down"

justice_avocado

Thanks, Erik. I just tried removing those, but the same problem persisted.

In case there was some invisible character or some such, I deleted the first half of my comment on move 13, as well as the last half of my comment on move 12, and retyped them all by hand (no copy & pasting). Alas, alack, whither and forsooth, this did not work either.

Also, I tried retyping all of my annotations into a brand spanking new game embed in a brand spanking new "message/news" item, no copying or pasting, and wouldn't you know it, it broke up right in the same place again.

Thanks again for your help. But I am at a loss.

erik

test12

Lord-Chaos
[COMMENT DELETED]
Lord-Chaos

well, works for me, maybe its because i didnt put the event thingys down.

erik

found it! it's the double "--" in move 6 that first breaks it.

Lord-Chaos
[COMMENT DELETED]
erik

test

Lord-Chaos

i think thats it right?

erik

Lord-Chaos: i'm deleting your comments because i am testing, and you are messing it up :D

i've fixed it already, it was the "--" in move 6

Lord-Chaos

hey all my comments are being deleted o.O i got the full game up before you erik =D i didn't have any trouble with the double "-".

Lord-Chaos

oooh ok. but if you looked at the comments before you deleted them, you would have found it already worked =P i just copy and pasted the pgn from whasit called. uuh, well if the double "-" helps you guys, then well as long as it works, then thats ok.

justice_avocado

Lord-Chaos, thanks so much for whatever it is you did before the big bad moderator deleted it. I'm sure it would have been helpful.

And Erik, I hope you didn't read what I just said to L-C, heh, but seriously, I'm pretty stoked that the founder of the site just spent at least ten minutes of his time fixing my tiny little problem. Almost makes it worth having in the first place. Well, maybe not (for both of us), but you're little 'move 6' hack worked like a charm. Like a charm. Thanks a bunch.

Apoapsis

Now that the problem is resolved, I'll put my question in... why is a loading image behind the pgn glitched to the post? XD

mosqutip

Programming languages are too picky.