Forums

Is it rubbing it it when one asks you for a rematch to a game you just lost

Sort:
renumeratedfrog01

I think it's highly unethical for the winner to ask for a rematch... it's like saying "Want some more of that???"... it's tantamount to taunting...

xanthippes

i prefer it when i'm asked because having lost already with a stupid blunder, and knowing i'll proberbly make another equally stupid mistake, I don't feel i'm wasting thier time ..  that said, I'd only accept 4 challenges from the same person, more than 4 gives me the impression i'm being used as a patsy to boost thier rating ...lol 

glamdring27

I have noticed people (well the childish ones) on this site do get worked up about rematch requests.  Refuse one and they post some childish nonsense about running away on your page.

I almost never offer rematches and only occasionally accept them because I'd rather just keep clicking the New button after a match and play a new opponent each time whether I win or lose.  It's not as if it's real life chess where you have to get up and see if anyone else is free to play.

Winner or loser offering rematch makes no difference to whether I accept or not though!

Crazychessplaya

Laughing

gattaca
renumeratedfrog01 wrote:

I think it's highly unethical for the winner to ask for a rematch... it's like saying "Want some more of that???"... it's tantamount to taunting...

To ask for a rematch it's like...

(wait for it)

...Asking for a rematch.

Amazing huhh?!

Scottrf
paulgottlieb wrote:

Chess.Com must have the biggest collection of hypersensitive whiners on the planet! Just look at these threads: "Saying 'gg' is an insult!" "Not saying 'gg' is an insult!" "Queening pawns when you're ahead in material is an insult!" "Not resigning when I think you should is an insult!" "Offering a rematch to the loser is an insult!" "Playing bad openings is an insult!" And the list just goes on and on. These people hunt for grievances the way pigs hunt for truffles, connoisseurs of the imaginary insult!

I wonder if these people sit in front of their televisions thinking "Showing beer commercials when I don't like beer is an insult!" 

Good post, it's ridiculous. If you want a rematch, offer one, if they decline, move on.

gattaca
paulgottlieb wrote:

Chess.Com must have the biggest collection of hypersensitive whiners on the planet! Just look at these threads: "Saying 'gg' is an insult!" "Not saying 'gg' is an insult!" "Queening pawns when you're ahead in material is an insult!" "Not resigning when I think you should is an insult!" "Offering a rematch to the loser is an insult!" "Playing bad openings is an insult!" And the list just goes on and on.

I had a good laugh reading your post.

paulgottlieb wrote:

These people hunt for grievances the way pigs hunt for truffles, connoisseurs of the imaginary insult!

I wonder if these people sit in front of their televisions thinking "Showing beer commercials when I don't like beer is an insult!"

I recognize myself in the last part. :)

George1st

Not at all.....I am requested for a rematch almost evryime I play...I believe this is just being a respectful opponent, possibly trying to learn from me.

I think this sounds closer to the truth...for me anyway : )

gattaca
paulgottlieb wrote:

And then there are those idiots who actually read those threads and respond--oops, I think I just described myself!

I was honest when I said your post made me laugh (in the genuine way, should I add). Then I admitted I complain sometime for not really important stuff.

gattaca
paulgottlieb wrote:

Well, the internet makes it awfully easy to publish our opinion on everything under the sun, sometimes before we can stop and think

Is that me or is there a double meaning in your last post again?

AnnaZC
paulgottlieb wrote:

Chess.Com must have the biggest collection of hypersensitive whiners on the planet! Just look at these threads: "Saying 'gg' is an insult!" "Not saying 'gg' is an insult!" "Queening pawns when you're ahead in material is an insult!" "Not resigning when I think you should is an insult!" "Offering a rematch to the loser is an insult!" "Playing bad openings is an insult!" And the list just goes on and on. These people hunt for grievances the way pigs hunt for truffles, connoisseurs of the imaginary insult!

nice reply, and a good reply too, and funny! Sadly 97.86% true :)

AnnaZC
[COMMENT DELETED]
Scottrf

Hi Anna!

gattaca
paulgottlieb wrote:

No double meaning! Sometimes, right after i've fired off a quick post, I ask myself: "why did I even have an opinion about that?"

Ok, got it.