Forums

Odds & Ends ( etc )

Sort:
kco

Need more woman in Western Australia ! in the paper it said that there are 37,800 more men than women.  

ivandh

Or like Super Mario (Lemieux), who owns the team he played for (at one time he was owner, president, CEO, and general manager while scoring 76 points in half a season.)

cabadenwurt

Everyone --- Thanks for the recent posts. Needless to say these points deserve deep consideration, however speaking of deep it seems to me that the cesspools at a sewage farm are also deep. Hmmmm, I am glad that I started a thread like this, to be able to comment on the lighter side  lol.

cabadenwurt

Kco your point is an important one to be sure. That problem is only being made worse by the one-child policy in China as many people there are only wanting to have boys. I guess it is Quantis ( spelling ??? ) to the rescue. More Australian men will need to become globetrotters to continue their search for wedded bliss ( foreign language studies may be needed too  lol ).  

cabadenwurt

Chubbycocobo on the question of Smarties we may need to resort to using the Scientific Method to get the correct order. On the lines used in the song it seems to me that the song was only used in ads that were shown on TV.

kco

nah, the reason why we've got more men here is because of our mining boom.  

cabadenwurt

Ivandh, yes Mario Lemieux is one of a kind, that's for sure. In my younger days my favourite player was Johnny Bowers ( spelling ??? ) who was a goalie in Toronto back when they had a good team. That was way back in the days of the original six so we are going back about 45 years. Punch Immlack ran the team back then, that was before Harold Ballard messed everything up for Toronto.   

AndyClifton
cabadenwurt wrote:

An item of interest for today comes from the World of Sports. Magic Johnson and his group of investors are paying $ 2 Billion Dollars for the LA Dodgers baseball team. 

Oh please please please tell me he's gonna disband that team of foul dirtbags so we never have to endure their presence ever again...

cabadenwurt

Hey we just made it into the Hot Topics forum,and who said that odds and ends are not important ?  lol. 

AndyClifton
kco wrote:

nah, the reason why we've got more men here is because of our mining boom.  

That's not what I heard... (heehee!)

cabadenwurt

AndyClifton you know of course that there are still fans in Brooklyn that have not gotten over the fact that the Dodgers left. Maybe these new owners will move the Dodgers back East ? With the big money in the New York and area Cable TV market it might just work. 

AndyClifton

Oh great, then they'd be the Dodgers and a New York team! grrrr...okay, I guess there's just no way I'm ever gonna be happy about dose Bums... Cry

cabadenwurt

Hmmm, just thought of phase 2 of this plan. So we move the Dodgers back East. The Mets have a rather limited fan base I gather so we move them up here to Vancouver which has a Baseball ready stadium all set up. Then I could drive down there a couple of times per year to watch the Vancouver Mets ! ( it's all about me of course ).

AndyClifton

Okay, a Vancouver team I could definitely root for... Smile

cabadenwurt

Well yesterday in our financial news up North here there was the release of our new Federal budget. And there was earthshattering news --- our cute little penny ( yes the one with that beautiful Maple Leaf on the front ) is to be Eliminated ! It is a sad day in our normally happy Dominion of Canada as those nice little Copper coins in our wallets are to be phased out. What can I say, many of us are speechless. Smile  

bigpoison
cabadenwurt wrote:

Thanks for the post Ivandh, you are the first to visit my new thread. Among the Ancient Empires I would say that the Romans are my favouite I guess. We do owe a lot to the Greeks tho of course, for one thing the city-state of Athens ( among others ) developed the idea of Democracy. 

I'll take concrete over democracy, any day.

AndyClifton

RIP...

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts. AndyClifton Thanks for posting the photo of the cute little Maple Leaf Penny. The higher-ups said that it is obsolete and yet it has value --- if one gathers up 100 pennies one can trade them for a whole Dollar. The bean-counters have added up the figures however and it costs 1.6 cents to mint each penny so it's " Hit the Road !!! " ( what have you done for me lately  lol ).

kco

you canadian are a bit slow Laughing

The last Australian 1 cent coins were put into general circulation in 1990 and the last 2 cent coins were put into general circulation in 1989. They were both progressively withdrawn from circulation in 1994 and all prices rounded off to the nearest 5 cents.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the Update Kco. The news did mention that Australia had gotten rid of their penny but I didn't know that a 2 cent coin had also been removed. We don't have a 2 cent coin so we are going to use 5 cent nickles as our smallest coins, I guess that time moves on.