Forums

Peking to Paris Road Race

Sort:
Joseph-S

The Peking to Paris road race is taking place now, if anybody is interested.  The website is at, pekingparis.com 

In my opinion, the best website of the various contestants in the race that I've found so far is, pressonregardless, car #86. 

Joseph-S

They are in Iran now.  (10/5/10)

http://cschwager.wordpress.com/

Joseph-S
pushwood47 wrote:

Yes by golly there is. The game is called Doublets, invented by one Lewis Carroll (yes, that one). Here goes (there may even be a shorter way from CHINA to PARIS):

CHINA CHINK THINK THINE SHINE SHONE PHONE PRONE PROSE PRISE POISE POSSE PASSE PASTE PASTY PARTY PARTS PARIS tah-dah!

Who'd a thunk't?          

(I didn't think we were going to see the answer.)

Joseph-S

http://pekingparis.com/reports.shtml

Driving the Impossible

"The Classics Category saw a remarkable effort by the oldest driver in the event, with Australian Gerry Crown, driving a 1974 Holden, wining in convincing style. At 78 years old Gerry was regarded as too old to be given a Chinese driving licence so his navigator, 33 year old Matt Bryson, drove the first few days. Matt is the son of John Bryson who accompanied Andrew Cowan to several Australian rally wins including two victories on the Southern Cross.

Second in the Classics category was the former Turkish rally champion Ahmet Omgun, with Erdal Tokcan, in an Anadol 1600 ahead of third placed crew, Andrew Godsen and Andrew Honeychurch, in a much more powerful Aston Martin DB5.

Since leaving Beijing every crew has lived and accumulated a lifetime of memories… fraught and frustrating border crossings… the remarkable friendliness and hospitality of complete strangers… the pain and despair of breakdowns and the triumph of miracle repairs and camping under star-laden skies in Mongolia where the Organisers, the Endurance Rally Association, ran a fleet of petrol tankers and trucks to provide a Dakar style back up of chefs cooking meals each evening."

"This has been beyond doubt the hardest event we have ever staged," said organiser Philip Young.

Noxxion

and who the hell still call it 'peking'?

I thought the age of european imperialism ended a while ago...maybe my clock is slower