Forums

Remember When?

Sort:
Crazychessplaya

froghollow
corrijean wrote:

Who are the pommies?

They are the country that sent convicts to australia in the 18th century , seems only the decent ones were exported . 

Crazychessplaya

goldendog

Those ye olde vacuum cleaners?

froghollow

Remember in 1986 when a enspiring climber boasted to a journalist about he and his drunk university mates vandalising Oxford University , and giggled over the part where one of his jolly good mates set fire to the toilet block ? Fast forward to 2011 / and you have the same happy chappy declaring ' WE WILL CATCH THEM AT ANY COST AND BRING THEM TO JUSTICE " , ( London Riots ) British Prime Minister  David Cameron was the bragging giggling vandal ; interviewed back in 1986 .  ON RECORD .Embarassed

shequan

mes remembers when people considered murder to be bad

Timotheous

When? Back in the good old days of Cain and Able?

There have always been a minority that are murderers. And a majority is usually present that considers murder to be bad.

DCMS

When people actually had to work for paychecks.

DCMS

Joseph would say: Remember when we were a theocracy and my religion was in charge of this country?

Timotheous

I remember the original spirit with which this thread was started. It was nice. Thanks Joseph for the thread. 

DCMS
Timotheous wrote:

I remember the original spirit with which this thread was started. It was nice. Thanks Joseph for the thread. 

But "Remember When" can imply many different things, like "those old days when things were more *moral* and *proper*."

Joseph-S
Timotheous wrote:

Thank you, and everyone else, for participating in it.   Smile  

NimzoRoy

I remember buying - BRAND NEW PBs for the following cover prices

Basic Chess Endings for $2.95,

The Complete Games of Paul Keres (1929-1962) for $2.95

Alekhines Best Games of Chess 1908-1923 for $1.95

Alekhines Best Games of Chess 1924-1937 for $2.25

Chess Praxis by Nimzovitch for $2.50  etc etc etc etc etc

I remember buying comic books for 10¢, 12¢, 15¢, etc etc etc

I remember when the ¢ was a keyboard character

I remember when I had a full head of (my own) hair

That's all folks!

timbeau
froghollow wrote:

Remember when australia sold uranium to the pommies , and they returned it by way of nuclear testing at Maralinga - south australia . ( RETURN TO SENDER ) oh yes '  memories of radiation contamination .   YUMMY !

'Pommy' (Australian-only slang for the English. Never used by the English or any other nationality. Can be intended 'affectionately', can also be abusive, depending on context and often whether the word 'bastard', is attached. Uncertain etymology; formerly mostly referred  to English immigrants but increasingly used to refer to  any English. Users often forget one quarter of Australians were born overseas and that Britain-and thus England- is still the origin of the majority of Australia's immigrants.)

So much for that...

timbeau

As for the British Atom Tests: you know, Frog Hollow, I don't think much Australian Uranium was used by the British in their A-Bombs tested here. Without reaching for a book or consulting the insidious Google we didn't mine Uranium until the mid_50's and (then) known reserves petered out in the mid-60's.
I am not in the least a supporter of N-Weapons, now or then. But compared to the Atmospheric tests of  HydrogenBombs the 'relatively' few British tests of Atom Bombds were 'relatively' negligible.

God Listen to me!! 'Relatively' and 'few' ... I should be force-fed yellowcake!

The British first exploded an ABomb off WesternAustralia in 52 and then  a dozen, perhaps, in SouthAustralia in the 50's and 60', all smaller than the Hiroshima or Nagasaki bombs. Later British tests in SA were with plutonium and exotic isotopes and "safe-handling practices' (!) And although dangerous radiation was released it wasn't through Bombs. No British Hbombs were tested in South Australia,
We were however selling it to the French when they were pulverising Muroroa Atoll with H-Bombs. But that was decades later. In fact, didn't we 'negotiate' some pointless agreement that Aussie U would never be used in bombs... I may be wrong though.

The real issue  is -apart from new U mining and increased mining on the way all those "ColdWar' missiles and bombs are still ticking away in the US, the USSR and Israel (principally). 
While we panic like chooks over terrorists and pirates, the Nuclear powers quietly maintain their evil arsenals. Micro-tests and computer modelling continues.
The USA still has a militay policy of Full-Spectrum-Global-Dominance.
Nuclear bombs are still the integral base of US and Russian 'security'. As for Israel... the worlds 3rd biggest Nuclear Power refuses to talk about it!
Just because there's no SovietUnion doesn't mmean the danger isn't imminent. Always! 

(That was just in the interests of accuracy and reality!)

NimzoRoy

@timbeauhttp://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear_weapons_and_global_security

Crazychessplaya

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla

corrijean

corrijean

Remember Lotus 123?

https://archive.org/details/Business1985

Joseph-S

Hi Corrijean, a pleasure to have you stop by!    Smile