Forums

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones or who ? ( or even the Who ? )

Sort:
cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts. Although I've got a fair number of LPs here I missed the original releases by Peter Paul & Mary despite the fact that I like a lot of their songs. I did manage to get a couple of those little Music cassettes tho with their good songs. A shame those little cassettes disappeared off the market so quickly, I kinda liked them.

Yes and poor old Pete Best, he was about as close to being rich and famous as you can get without quite making it there ( good luck for Ringo tho ). 

AndyClifton

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the info AndyClifton, yes Pete Best definitely had a secret. I've never been in danger a being famous but to have it that close and then it is snatched away from a person, quite sad really.

Thinking earlier about LP records, one thing that was nice about them was the liner notes on the large protective cardboard liners that came with the records. However not all LPs had liner notes. I've got a old LP here with some rather forgetable music from a movie, but there are no notes on the back of the liner. Instead there are ads for 20 other LPs also put out by the record label. Of course the big Stars of the time are there such as Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong and Count Basie. Some lesser known names are also shown including Al Hirt ( one of my favourites ), Woody Herman, Stan Getz and Roy Eldridge. I just wish that I had some of these LPs ! Mind you from time to time the record labels release older material on CDs so I guess there is some hope yet.     

cabadenwurt

By some good luck I was going thru some old records here the other day and came across a couple of the old K-tel albums. Country Music was one area covered by K-tel but they certainly also had good success with their Rock & Roll albums. One item that I've got here is entitled " Jukebox Jive " which has 25 hits on it, eg: The Tokens & " The Lion Sleeps Tonight "; Clyde McPhatter & " Lover Please "; Buddy Knox & " Party Doll "; Joey Dee And The Starlighters & " Peppermint Twist " etc etc.

K-tel was also busy up here in Canada and put out a album here entitled " Canadian Mint ". Included are: Bachman-Turner Overdrive & " Let It Ride "; Andy Kim & " Be My Baby "; Johnny T Angel & " Tell Laura I Love Her "; Poppy Family & " Where Evil Grows "; Terry Jacks & " Seasons In The Sun "; Susan Jacks & " I Thought Of You Again ". Susan and Terry Jacks were of course the Poppy Family. I hope that some of this material is put out again some day as younger people might like to get some of these tunes too.          

AndyClifton

Oh yeah, "Party Doll"!...the song that actually featured a cardboard box for a drum (if I remember right).

And (speaking of the Poppy Family and similar morphings) I just found out that The American Breed ("Bend Me Shape Me") later went on (very eventually) to become Rufus! (of Chaka Khan fame).  Which also reminds me that the lead singer on "Time Won't Let Me" by the Outsiders was also the guy who several years later did "Precious and Few" for Climax.

AndyClifton

Oh yeah...and even though I think most of the stuff these guys did was pretty hokey, that one song you mentioned was definitely a classic (and somehow or other reminds me of the Doobie Brothers' great "Long Train Running"):

Cystem_Phailure

Go troll somewhere else melvie.

ivandh

C'mon CP, let's carry on, carry on... as if nothing really matters.

Cystem_Phailure
melvinbluestone wrote:

I thought somebody might be interested in a mature, rational assessment of what is, frankly, kid stuff.

No, you thought this was a good opportunity to demonstrate what a jerk you are.  And well done, I should add!

cabadenwurt

Thanks to AndyClifton, CystemPhailure and Ivandh for the recent posts. As for the fellow who wanted to dump all over Rock and Roll ( yes the Mister W ) well I'm not sure who peed in his Corn Flakes the other morning  lol ( he can of course start up his own thread if he doesn't like this one ).

AndyClifton Thanks for the info. Bachman-Turner Overdrive is often called BTO up here, seems to me they evolved out of " The Guess Who ". Randy Bachman recently had his own weekly show on CBC-Radio where he played old tunes and told stories about the many people that he met in the music business ( not sure if the show is still on tho ).      

Cystem_Phailure

cabadenwurt, your mention of Bachman's radio show sparked a 35-year-old memory.  Do you remember James Leroy?  He had sort of a Burton Cummings-like voice and style.  He committed suicide in 1979 at age 32, but was pretty big in Canada in the early and mid-70s, particularly for 2 or 3 songs.  However, he was one of those folk where a lot of people immediately knew the tunes but not the name of the fellow who sang them.  The radio connection is because in the mid-to-late 1970's he DJ'ed a night show, I think it was once a week, on a radio station in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario that was my primary listening station, and I used to make it a point to tune in for his show specifically.  He also emceed local live events in the Soo, and I saw him do some intros at local concerts, and he performed for one of the 1-hour slots at a 24-hour concert I attended in the Soo.

Anyway, here's what I think was his best-known song-- certainly at least the chorus will be familiar to you.  He wrote this, too, BTW.  I just now saw that in 2002 this song received a SOCAN (Society of Composers, Authors, and Music Publishers of Canada) Classic Award for having 100,000 airplays on domestic Canadian radio.

HessianWarrior

One of best songs ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_swaxOidGU

electricpawn

electricpawn

This is one of my favorites, Hess;

cabadenwurt

Thanks everyone for the posts and all of the info. Cystem_Phailure for some reason the name James Leroy is a mystery to me but when I went over to Youtube his music seems familiar to me. Someone over there had posted that he was a member of Major Hoople's Boarding House for a while but that name doesn't ring a bell either. Sad tho when someone so talented is gone at a young age.

Electricpawn you posted some music by Bob Dylan which reminded me that a few years back he did some work on the movie soundtrack for " The Wonder Boys ", he was sounding very good there as I had not heard him for a while.

cabadenwurt

Sometimes when listening to the radio one hears an ad that takes a person way back in time. I mentioned in a earlier post that I'm quite happy with my Satellite radio but I do still listen to some local radio here as well. This morning I had on a local talk show and I heard an ad that immediately made me think of the old tune " I'm So Young And You're So Old ". Yes it was an ad that featured Paul Anka who has recently released a new Christmas CD. Of course besides having some very nice hit songs Paul also appeared in a couple of movies and performed in Las Vegas as well. Needless to say Paul Anka is no Spring Chicken ( I know that because I'm not either and he is older than I am  lol ) but I was very glad to hear that he is still hard at it. 

FlowerFlowers

Beatles (out of beatles and stones)

btw Andy you have it wrong, Ringo was a genius.

also some good rock is from 70s Steve Miller Band, 80s Violent Femmes, 90s Tool, and who doesn't recognize the genius of today that is Lil' Wayne 

Javan64

My 16 year old granddaughter absolutely loves the Beatles, her favorite being Ringo Starr!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the posts FlowerFlowers and Javan64. That's two votes for Ringo !  lol; I love to hear him singing the leading part in " Yellow Submarine ", that song puts me in a good mood every time it's on the Radio. I'm not sure if he has another tour planned for his All Star Band, imagine if he could get Paul to tour with them !!! One can only hope I guess. 

Javan64

Before George Harrison passed away from cancer, there was a joke making the rounds, which asked, "What is the only thing which can reunite the Beatles?"  The answer of course was, "Three bullets!"  Yeah, I know it's tacky...