Forums

i looked at the new format

Sort:
marysson

the new format is good but i think you ought to put "photos" up in the black bar as the photo feature is something particular to this site and i think is used often.

i do miss not seeing at least my list of games where i am to move.  perhaps a small box with a minaturized game list of waiting games for my moves could be placed as a choice in the chat box.  one could click on this item and the chat box would disappear to be replaced by your "active game list".

Kikyo_Sushi

Did our Old Format juz disappeared ??

Now,my Profile Theme has also disappeared as well ! Cry

I prefer our Old Format/Look .. I think it's extremely Simple n' User Friendly n' Very Unique to Chess.com .. Everything is so Clear n' Easy to use ! Cool

I think the New Look looks  very similiar to Face Book .

I don't seem to know how to play my games anymore .. not used to it, ie.

I think any Extra ,Interesting n' Informative New Features we have there,can be added on to our Existing/Current/Old One ,instead of changing everything completely .

These include :

1)our Tactics Trainer n' Chess Mentor Stats

( Juz Add that whole Rating Stats Info Box to our Current Home/Profile Page )

2)Our Friends' List ( better if it's Optional for it to be Displayed ; Some People may prefer Privacy,I think )

The Old One is way better coz we can see all or most of our Online Friends at a glance .. the New Format only shows 12 Random Ones with a green( or red ,if in Live Chess) square at the corner if they happen to be online.( I prefer the flashing symbol coz it makes u feel that something is 'Alive' ...lol ) .. n' this means we can only see a few of our Friends Currently Online unless u wanna click tru pages of our Friend's List to view them )

If only 12 can be shown,why not show all 12 that r most recently Online instead of only a few online ones n' the rest may not hv even logged in for a very long time.

3) The Sound that accompanies our Moves in our Online n' Vote Chess Games,gives me a 'Shock' sometimes .. People may or may not like it,so it shld be made Optional/can be turned on or off ie.

4)Our 'Alerts Box' had our Customized Theme's Colors applied to it ... That's Real Nice if applied to our Current/Old Format as well .

plus a fewThots/Observations ...

5)There's something wrong with our Vote Chess Games Page .. I can't find my Games where it's my Move ,even after clicking on lots of pages ; only found my 'Finished Games' n' my Games where it's my Opponent's Moves .. but maybe this has been fixed already ?

6)I think our Notes hv been misplaced n' r no longer juz 'Notes' but more like Messages now coz they r given Top Priority on our Activity Page.

7)Our Customised Themes don't work well with it ... The Boxes in the Middle  all hv Colourless Backgrounds now n' the Wordings can't be read clearly coz there's no Contrast.

8)Only a few of our Groups appear on our Home n' Profile Page n' when we click on 'Our Groups' header link ,we hv to click tru pages to find the Group we r looking for ... before,our Groups' List is Complete n' Compact,all in One Neat,Organized List ! ( Now,we can only see 10 of our Groups on our Profile/Home Page )

.. n' our Group Admins' List hv disappeared .. that was an Excellent Feature for All Group Super Admins as well as Members !

( Edit : This has recently Reappeared  .. Yay ! )

9)The Headers Bar on our Home n' Profile Pages does not look as Nice as before ( It looks a bit too plain now )

I think there r more pts I hv thot up but I can't recall them now .

.. this is my Opinion n' Feedback n' Suggestions.

I sincerely hope we can be given the Option to keep our Old/Current One even if the New One is going to be Implemented.

( I also hope we can hv back our Customized Themes to apply to our Individual n' Group Profile Pages coz it took us some time to create them n' I Really prefer not to hv to create them again.)

Tnx Very Much !

Wrinn

I have 729 new messages in my inbox apparently.  Which, btw, is incorrect ;)  If only I were that popular

shequan

I just want to be able to use Times New Roman font.

Kikyo_Sushi
BorgQueen wrote:

S'funny how so many people will totally ignore the new beta format testing, remain silent... then when beta is done and it goes online... there's going to be lots of posts like #100 here,... and staff can just say "you shoulda said something while it was in beta.  Too late now!"  lol

.. Tnx ,BorgQueen !

I wanted to write earlier but I din think they wld implement it so fast  n' u gotta be invited to be in that Group in order to give any  Suggestions or FeedBack ,I think.

Cystem_Phailure
BorgQueen wrote:

S'funny how so many people will totally ignore the new beta format testing, remain silent... then when beta is done and it goes online... there's going to be lots of posts like #100 here,... and staff can just say "you shoulda said something while it was in beta.  Too late now!"  lol

I hope this test roll-out isn't indicative of near-final status-- if so, they have clearly ignored or dismissed the vast majority of comments/suggestions from people who did bother to say something while it was in beta.

billgill0

I hate this new one!

D_Finikin

Well the new format was forced on me :(

It's taking about 3 minutes for each game to load - ok, sure, I'm still on dial-up but compared to the 30 seconds from the old format.

I do wonder why the designers thought sound was a good idea.  Can I go into a big OTB tournament and make noises now?

erik
D_Finikin wrote:

Well the new format was forced on me :(

It's taking about 3 minutes for each game to load - ok, sure, I'm still on dial-up but compared to the 30 seconds from the old format.

I do wonder why the designers thought sound was a good idea.  Can I go into a big OTB tournament and make noises now?

that's odd - we've noticed that for most users the site is 10-25% faster. hrmm. i will look into this for you in a few hours. 

John_D

Greta new looks. have to get used to it in the beginning, but good job.

bastiaan

I like the new design, just a bit more modern without doing anything too rash. I'm sure it won't be too long until most of us forgot the old design

Elroch
[COMMENT DELETED]
Elroch

Some ways in which the old format was significantly better with respect to groups and discussions:

• The time of forum posts was much more clear: this was a very useful thing for saving time reading: why is it now in an almost invisible colour?
  • The group menu was on the home page. There's plenty of room for it, so why was it removed?
  • I believe the old forum format fitted lot more of a discussion on the screen, due to the more economical text format.
chessplayer11

I guess modernizing a look is the new spam. Trying to learn the new interfaces of the 10 thousand websites, apps, social networks, browsers, OSes, etc., Takes up so much time. I probably spend an hour each month relearning something for no reason whatsoever. The "Keeping up with the Jones by making our site as ugly as every one elses" doesn't seem like a very good reason either. At least when wunderground.com made their change years back they allowed you to go to classic.wunderground.com. Which unlike all other sites that say you can go back, theirs still works.

Plus you've remove 'your time' spent on TT problems and rearranged everything in a illogical order? okay....

I'm still having trouble understanding why in Live chess the pieces that have been taken disappear once the game is over. I suppose I'm the only one that likes to analize a game after and find that info to be a quick view of the state of the game. Now I have to jump thry pointless hoops just to find a page that allows that. Gotta love change for the sake of change.

Let's see what's wrong with this new look. Faint unreadable text. The background is now a thin bar at the top and the logo (which was customizable) is now the backdrop for the top part. And most of the rest of the new interface reminds me of the terrible google+ look.

And are the stats viewable to everyone? I seem to recall a post where a chess instructor thought that would hinder their ability to make money. (Apparently they weren't very good and didn't want anyone to know it.)

Now the stats info are crammed in drop down boxes. Meh

IvoMakianich

I like the new format, but they should have put some sort of tutorial for the people who aren't open to changes and complain.

jfnobel

@twidey; I had the same. Hoewver, if you go to Home>Online CHess and then click on "show all games" (Bottom left), you get the list of games as per the old format. 

Jantar
erik wrote:

that's odd - we've noticed that for most users the site is 10-25% faster. hrmm. i will look into this for you in a few hours. 

Faster?  How does that work?  I can hardly get a game to load, then when it does load I can't get it to accept a move.  Only 2 moves made successfully since this new format was rolled out.

Jantar
LaskerFan wrote:

There is a possibility that paid members and free members are viewing different formats. I view that paid members are not too averse to the change, whereas free members are mostly complaining. Is this another method of forcing free members to either become paid members? At least there should be a cheaper rate for third world countries.

Well here is one paid member who won't be paying any more.

arborvitian

I'm on the fence.  I've wasted a few hours poking around and figuring things out, and I can mostly get back to chess and ignore the interface now.  Mostly.  If there were a "go back to the way things used to be" option, I'd press that button in two seconds and never look back.  I don't see anything in the "new and improved" interface yet that really strikes me as a true improvement.

Cystem_Phailure

For me, the forum pages are taking more than a minute before they display the comment box, while everything else is already loaded much earlier.  And sometimes then the comment box displays the raw HTML code of the preachy message instead of the properly formatted preachy message.