Forums

Icons on chess.com

Sort:
theoreticalboy
xbigboy wrote:

As a resident of North Dakota, I can affirm that we exist.

....which is precisely what "they" would say.

Cystem_Phailure
AndyClifton wrote:

Okay so there's one, big deal!  Probably just a token one offered up by the International White Males Society.

Yeah, but that's an avatar, not an icon, and chess.com doesn't have anything to do with selecting avatars.  Except for that one they make you use as punishment for being mean.

AndyClifton
theoreticalboy wrote:
xbigboy wrote:

....which is precisely what "they" would say.

Furthermore, his profile page lists "Minnesota"!

AndyClifton
Cystem_Phailure wrote:
 Except for that one they make you use as punishment for being mean.

If they really wanted to punish me, they'd make me use this one:

(Oops...I probably shouldn't have pointed that out.) Frown

Cystem_Phailure
xbigboy wrote:

Oh yeah, that's believable.  

Apoapsis

I lived in Minnesota when I made the account. As for why I haven't changed it...

AndyClifton

So change your username to xminnesota. Smile

Cystem_Phailure

If there actually was such a landmass at that location on the planet it would make more sense to call it West Minnesota.

As to West Virginia, I wonder if the West Virginians have ever noticed that it bounds the northern border of Virginia, and Virginia extends farther west?  The little parasite state should be called North Virginia.

MittRomney

Surprised

pocoloco-1
Cystem_Phailure wrote:

If there actually was such a landmass at that location on the planet it would make more sense to call it West Minnesota.

As to West Virginia, I wonder if the West Virginians have ever noticed that it bounds the northern border of Virginia, and Virginia extends farther west?  The little parasite state should be called North Virginia.

And we West (by god) Virginians wonder why eastern Wisconsin would be able to give us a lesson on geography.

motherinlaw

You Tell 'em Poco!  Having grown up across the Ohio River from West Virginia, I can testify that WV is just the right name for it---just like the Old West!---free, unpretentious, down-to-earth people--- with No pointy-headed Liberals driving around in their BMW's, like those Northerners along the coast, sitting in their fancy restaurants drinking their lattees with their commie, beatnik friends who hate our freedom!  Perhaps I've said too much. 

cabadenwurt

Okay I'll admit it, I'm confused here. Are we talking icons or avarars ? I did have a few things to say about avatars elsewhere. On the other hand I do get to see some icons when I first turn my Computer on. So far this thread is as clear as mud  lol.

motherinlaw

(I hate to say anything, but I think our friend Mr. Clifton [aka Tony Kaufman?] has started to lose the thread here.  Shhh.  It's OK, now. I think he's asleep.)

pocoloco-1

Maybe it's our far ranging interests, our irreverence, or senility, but we rarely stay "on thread" in these postings.  If you don'twant your posting hijacked, best post elsewhere.

grover-dill

Avatar - The picture of you on your homepage

Icon - The symbol for a subject in the drop down list above. e.g  Share - drop down list,  chess news - symbol a newspaper

cabadenwurt

Thanks to the OP for trying to explain things but I'm still confused. When I left my earlier post my faithful little Pawn avatar showed up beside my name. Anywhere that I go in this site my happy little avatar will follow me. In the 1st post that the OP left here the term " member icons " came up and they were said to mainly represent white males. Inquiring minds want to know, what is a member icon ? ( and why is the sky blue etc etc ). 

AndyClifton
motherinlaw wrote:

(I hate to say anything, but I think our friend Mr. Clifton [aka Tony Kaufman?] has started to lose the thread here.  Shhh.  It's OK, now. I think he's asleep.)

I am not asleep!  And btw your username reminds me of this:

motherinlaw

To Mr Clifton:  To be thought of in ANY connection with 2 such gifted comediennes is an honor beyond any of my wildest dreams, my deepest longings, my most secret hopes for success and glory.  You must now be so pleased to learn about the inexpressible joy you've given me, and with just a single picture accompanied by a caption whose overt snarkiness could not for an instant disguise your profound underlying admiration and respect for me and my modest talents.  But really, I am not worthy. EmbarassedSmile

AndyClifton

Shoot, I have not yet begun to snark!  How about this? (poor Weezie):

motherinlaw

Wanna have a sitcom-off?  Winner has to watch My Mother the Car, all 30 episodes.Surprised