Forums

Life Time Membership?

Sort:
xlgc

I think Chess.com should offer a life time membership for a one time fee.  I'm a subscriberphobe.   I am not sure how much it should be, but I'd do it if I could.

corrijean

They used to a long time ago when they were first starting up and needed to raise capital. 

macer75

Wait... if you're a "subscriberphobe," doesn't that mean you don't like to subscribe to anything? So why would you want to subscribe to a lifetime membership?

xlgc
macer75 wrote:

Wait... if you're a "subscriberphobe," doesn't that mean you don't like to subscribe to anything? So why would you want to subscribe to a lifetime membership?

Pay ONCE, play forever.  :)

xlgc
corrijean wrote:

They used to a long time ago when they were first starting up and needed to raise capital. 

Do you know how much it was?  I wonder how many people went for it. 

MSC157

Imagine you live 160 years... Laughing

corrijean
xlgc wrote:
corrijean wrote:

Do you know how much it was?  I wonder how many people went for it. 

My husband's cost $500.00.

I didn't get in on the ground floor.

Schachkaempfer

That is quite a high price, I am thinking.  Consider, that when this site first started, it is being uncertain how long the site would last. 

Imagine paying the $500 for a lifetime membership, then the site goes out of business in six months.

(Take this a few steps further, and even if the site was guaranteeing money back if the site went out of business within a few years, if the site was truly bankrupt they couldn't be able to honor the money-back agreement anyway.  And, suing a bankrupt company for a prorata $500 refund is not feasible either.) 

The whole thing would be a huge mess.

TitanCG

I'm still hoping for a t-shirt. Laughing

Markle

I don't know about this site, but i paid a lifetime membership to USCF over 20 years ago and i am glad i never have to pay Annual dues again

corrijean

I have a chess.com t-shirt.

It's been too long ago for me to remember, but I think my husband bought it for me in an attempt to make me like chess.com. It played a small role.