Forums

Dunst opening (Nc3) vs the Scandinavian

Sort:
algorab

Do you think White has a chance to get an advantage from this position?

helltank

White can play c3 and get an extra centre pawn. So yes, he has decent chances. 

AndyClifton

Kirsten?

waffllemaster

This is a real variation, forgot what it's called.  White gets attacking chances on the kingside.

(Oh lol it's in the title, yeah the dunst).

Expertise87

2...dxe4 seems better as Black doesn't have to entomb his light-square bishop but 2...d4 is definitely a line too

waffllemaster

I fail to see how playing 2...d4 entombs any of black's pieces.

I've only seen this online, never bothered to look it up.  Seems I've been giving white more of an attack than necessary.

AndyClifton

I was wondering when somebody was gonna say that.

Expertise87

wafflemaster I was referring to 2...e6

waffllemaster

@ Expertise
Oh, sorry, I misread powerlevel's post.  I thought he was saying "why would I play..." so I thought you were talking to the OP.

Yeah, e6 is completely unambitious.  If white wants to hand over the first move advantage, why would you hand it right back?

algorab

Thank you guys . I wanted something to force the Scandinavians away from their boring routines (c6,e6, Bf5 etc,etc...  ) but the problem is that the Scandinavian is damn forcing (2: e5 is crap and the BD gambit is risky at least as far as I know).

algorab

On Wikipedia there is this description:

"White's most common response to 1...d5 is 2.e4. This is the same position as 1.e4 d5 2.Nc3, an obscure branch of the Scandinavian Defense. Black has five plausible responses to 2.e4: 2...e6 and 2...c6 transpose to the French and Caro-Kann Defenses, and 2...Nf6 to a variation of Alekhine's Defence. The move 2...d4 gives Black a spatial advantage, which White may work to undermine along the lines of hypermodernism. Keilhack writes, "2...d4 is chosen either by somewhat naive players who are attracted by the fact that Black wins time and space ... or by strong players who are aware of the strategic risks but are striving for a complex battle."

algorab

Actually Black can insist on playing the Scandinavian unless White plays something else than Nc3 ...