Forums

Why are chess players so rude?

Sort:
OldChessDog

I guess I've been lucky. I haven't run into rude players.

Umadbrother95

Nice to meet you OldChessDog

clms_chess
Extractor886 wrote:

Why are chess so players so rude and insulting?  What ever happenend to "Thanks for the game", and "You are Welcome !"  This is only a game.  Is it so important you must insult your opponent to prove what a big person you are.  This is very disturbing and explains all the intolerance in the world today.   You all have a great day and by the way, PLAY NICE BOYS ! 

I find that those who play Live Chess (online) are more often rude than those who play the turn based (online chess) for what ever reason. but Irmall is right... this is the internet..soooooo...

clms_chess
Weing94 wrote:

I have a couple of opponents making fun of me when I decided to play on a game which my opponent has an upper hand to win the game. There are a handful people who call me loser when I beat them from unexpected positions.These people clearly dont have manners,maybe resulting from a difficult childhood or no education.

You know what dude... i am very impressed with you... you are a student... a young person and show more class than many older "adult" members.

clms_chess>>>>> former 6.7 and 8 grade reading teacher and still supportive parent/father and chess coach :)

clms_chess
chessBBQ wrote:

Anonymity  shows the truest color of a person.Im starting to believe that humans are genetically,inherently selfish and evil.

Really? well, im not allowed to quote a certain ..book..lol but...I can quote myself what i tell my students that i coach...

"Your reeeal character is how you act... when you think.. noone is looking"

Roundyracer

I on here to learn and enjoy either lose or win.However I do block the jerks and recall this game isnt about life or death afterall the US Open only paid $4400.com on man.I agree with its nice to receive a well played either way or congrat.I have found out most just move on.Read my bio.Hoping not to make players not play with me just looking for friendly games not punks.Maybe MySpace could start a chess site for those.

heine-borel

Ask the player : DICKmyster. Although he has been both blocked and reported, I don't think it will do much.

Auntie_Maim

Ref:  G.I.F.T. 

(The addy's posted in my profile notes.)

Extractor886

I love the way people make excuses for one's behavior.  The internet does not make one rude.  There is no justification for being rude !

clms_chess
chessmicky wrote:

Real, OTB players come in all ages, sizes, and temperments, and they're not always loveable, but in many years of playing chess I've never encountered anyone as obnoxious as some of the jerks you run into every day on the internet. To be fair, many of the "chess players" we run into on the internet have simply never learned any of the rudiments of decent behavior or sportsmanship. In fact, one of the nicest things about OTB tournament play is obserivng kids as young as eight or nine who have already learned how to conduct themselves as sportsmen--or sportswomen.

+1

Nailed it. It does not surprize me to see young kids act more mature than many adults. :)

CP6033
I do try to be nice, and i think a lot of other players do too
Time4Tea

Because people don't treat each other like human beings on the internet.  You're just another faceless computer opponent.

Dutchday

The online games aren't so bad for me. There's a few people around with very low ratings who get worked up if they lose a game and accuse people of cheating and all that. Of course an experienced player knows you can get an online rating of 1800-2000 with two fingers up your nose. 

The live players are a bigger problem. Some can get insulted over anything. For example if you're playing blitz and ram the button for a new seek after your game, the previous player may follow you around and leave comments. If I was only a bit better at blitz, I might not have to play those people. Unfortunately I'm not very good at it.

clms_chess
Time4Tea wrote:

Because people don't treat each other like human beings on the internet.  You're just another faceless computer opponent.

I dont look at my online chess opponents as just "faceless computer people"... because I know that behind the computer is a person... another human being. So... I treat them with as much dignity and respect as if they were sitting across from in an OTB tournament. :)

kayak21
clms_chess wrote:
Time4Tea wrote:

I dont look at my online chess opponents as just "faceless computer people"... because I know that behind the computer is a person... another human being. So... I treat them with as much dignity and respect as if they were sitting across from in an OTB tournament. :)

Oh, clms. You are so sweet, I'll feel bad if I beat you now so I might let you win our game. Smile

clms_chess

No wonderrrrrrr...lol

sabs11

u mean a**holes, not people, they just like being acquiescent showing their own mediocrity , nothing more nothing less

greedyflygon

I agree, I came here a few days ago to play for fun. I am just getting back into chess after not playing for 10 years, and people are already judging me right and left. People online are generally rude and say whatever they want, I mean look at some of the replies to this forum, you just prove your own thesis.

ChessNutz1919

This is one of the things I love most about chess. It is so mentally taxing that emotions can, and will, run high. There are surges of adrenaline and dopamine that come in far more concentrated doses than from most games. This is one of the aspects of chess that should be considered when determining whether or not it's a sport, It is more like boxing than it is like dominoes. 

banana-nana-mana-mana

I have noticed this. Like every single time it says someone wants to chat, it's because they wanna heap hate on me for zero discernible reason. It's making me think of leaving the site. You guys should do something about it. I don't think it's just the internet in general, as I've used different websites and never encountered this much hate.