Forums

chess960, waste of time?

Sort:
fireflies808

oh.

chess_kebabs

Well I know some Grandmasters  don't like to play 960 and they are obviously VERY highly skilled. I did an audio interview with one, GM Julio Becerra, that link is on my profile. I asked him the question about 960 and he said he doesn't like to play it as it doesn't help his game.

chess_kebabs

But if you  mean you can't use engines in 960 SwingingSoccer and can only rely on skill, then sure I agree with you.

TonyH

I read a top 10 GM talking about 960 chess and saying that basically it just hurts amateurs. none of us really understand chess and we learn things by orienting ourselves based on certain structures and plans that arise from them. we can study a line at home and play something and enjoy. GM 960 games usually end up just looking like a standard position they (the GM) understands but arrive at in a different way. None of us have mastered chess and the GM draw doesnt effect any of us on a personal level . Playing something random just makes those that want to feel superior due to frustration and lack of understanding better about themselves. 

chess_kebabs

I can sure understand why many love 960.. because from the beginning of the game you're on your own, opponent or yourself can't rely on databases or engines, you can only rely on skill. 

So instead of the minefield being introduced in the middle game, it's introduced from the beginning of the game.. lol

AlCzervik

960 will not help any GM's game. For many others, it might be a cool way to learn the game. Or, get better by learning the movement of the pieces, and, the repurcussions of moves.

aandrei23

Helps skills: evaluation of position, tactics, piece power, pieces cooperation.

Hurts: strategy from the opening, common principles of development, your basic feeling and intuition on how pieces should develop from a standard position -based on experience.

rupak1377

@chess_kebabs

I kind of agree with your point of view. It forces one to have a new refreshing perspective on piece co-ordination.

chess_kebabs
TMIMITW wrote:

960 will not help any GM's game. For many others, it might be a cool way to learn the game. Or, get better by learning the movement of the pieces, and, the repurcussions of moves.

I agree Don, they want to spend every minute studying and playing/practising openings they will be playing in major tournaments. 

But am guessing 'some' Grandmasters play in Chess960 tournaments? If so, they are the GM's who will spend time playing 960. 

chess_kebabs
SwingingSoccer wrote:

this is another question that 960 helps GM or not. as 960 world championship starts and first winner of this variant  was GM Nakamora. standard chess GMs avoid 960.

every variant has different taste n test like Blitz etc.

Yes, that's right.  Some will focus soley on standard chess, and some on both. But playing 960 wouldn't be helping their standard game much, as the positional play variations in 960 will not be as easily/commonly found in the standard games.

BirdBrain

Question - are you trying to become a GM?  If so, you need to spend multiple hours daily studying the regular patterns.  However, if you are like me, and you want to have fun at chess, 960 is a great way to have different, creative games. 

Crazychessplaya

Who is the World Chess960 Champion at this moment? Nobody knows and nobody cares. Case closed.

chess_kebabs

BirdBrain wrote:

Question - are you trying to become a GM?  If so, you need to spend multiple hours daily studying the regular patterns.  However, if you are like me, and you want to have fun at chess, 960 is a great way to have different, creative games. 

All chess is creative Doug because of the endless variations, in both standard & 960 chess. :)

fireflies808
Crazychessplaya wrote:

Who is the World Chess960 Champion at this moment? Nobody knows and nobody cares. Case closed.

i care!!! who is it? do you know?

Crazychessplaya

I don't know. But why do you want to know, is what I want to know.

fireflies808
Crazychessplaya wrote:

I don't know. But why do you want to know, is what I want to know.

uh, 'cause i asked this question!

AnnaZC

Replies on #18 and #53 are perspectives that I have read on chessbase

I have never been great at positional comprehension, maybe never will

I tried Aagaard, Dunnington, Gufeld books, and those are tough

960 can be an alternative to learn, or digest some facts mentioned

Never played it on here, wouldnt mind trying it out

fireflies808
[COMMENT DELETED]
BirdBrain
chess_kebabs wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

All chess is creative Doug because of the endless variations, in both standard & 960 chess. :)

However, what I love about 960 is that from move 1, you are on your own, with no theory - only your chess understanding.  I love that.

Ziggyblitz

I doubt that chess 960 improves your regular chess all that much ....but it is loads of fun.  Definitely makes me think.