Forums

Forum link - last page option

Sort:
Disgruntled_Sheep

Hi all Forumers,

I have noticed that on the links on the right side of the page (latest topics and what not), if you click on the link, you are directed to the last post made in that thread. If I think that the title of the thread is interesting, I am more likely to want to read from post 1. On other forums that I use, there is an option that I think would be handy here.

The link to the thread should look exactly the same, but after it have a small "last" word. For example my thread in the list would look like this:

Forum link - last page option last

Basically what happens here is if you click on the main link, you are directed to the first post of the thread. If you click on the "last" at the end of the link, then you are directed to the last post of the thread. It is an easy to impement (as far as I understand) idea and it works great on other forums that I use. Just a suggestion...

artfizz

When you click on a forum title an other context (e.g. FORUMS -> Today's Hot Topics, FORUMS -> Unanswered Posts), you do get taken to the start of the discussion.

The logic behind taking you to the END of the discussion when you click within Most Recent Posts is doubtless that, more often than not, you will want to contribute to the topic rather than read it from the beginning.

There is limited space to position a LAST link at the end of the forum title. Since reading these most current thread from the beginning is possibly the less likely action, maybe a supplemental FIRST link would be preferable?

LavaRook

you can click on the persons name who posted the last thing and it takes you to the last page

Disgruntled_Sheep

@artfizz - Sure, either or really. I only said "last" as it is what I am used to from other forums. I do get the logic behind taking you to the last post as a preference, makes sense from what you said, but to have no option at all seems to leave a tad room for improvement.

The reason I wish to read from the beginning however is when I do want to contribute to a discussion, I like to know what the context is. The majority of threads (on every forum) seem to get railroaded by nearly everyone. For example there is a thread on here about Morphy vs Kasparov that spends more time giving players a chance to insult each other rather than contribute. Laughing

@Lavarook - my issue is that the default is to go to the last page already. I like to go to the start with the option of the last page.

artfizz
LavaRook wrote:

you can click on the persons name who posted the last thing and it takes you to the last page

Clicking on the person's name takes you to their profile page.

artfizz

Forum-sequencing has quite complex, context-dependent behaviour on chess.com - or is totally inconsistent; depending on your point of view.

Disgruntled_Sheep

Ah I see I am not the first to discuss this... I hadn't really thought about it in that much depth I have to admit. I merely miss the ability to choose (something I noticed you mentioned in your early post on forum sequencing).