Forums

Player stalling in hopelessly lost game -- chess.com will do nothing about it

Sort:
kco

You the OP have broken a rule, is it unethical to ask the opponent to resign. 

OldHastonian
kco wrote:

There is little chance of a stalemate, there are 2 pawns to move and it is mate next move!

Why are you making apologies for this sort of 'scrub' behavior??

cjsab
kco wrote:

Unethical?  I thought I was doing him a favor!  His game was clearly lost, and I was offering to start a new game with him.  So sue me!  Sheesh!

kco

Is doesn't matter weather you are doing him a favour or not. Is it rude to ask another player to resign. Never ever happen in the otb or anywhere. 

cjsab
Vinny_de_rock wrote:

if u play me in chess i would woop u

Thank you for this, and your other, very helpful and insightful comments.

kco

been here before Vinny, I see, have we met before when your account was closed? 

OldHastonian
[COMMENT DELETED]
cjsab
Vinny_de_rock wrote:

not u cjasb the austraillians the one im flipin off

OIC.  Nevermind!  Foot in mouth

kco
Vinny_de_rock wrote:

yea we hav  u took my out for some shit remeber  nd grousey its vinny-de-rock  dont be immature

did you used to stalked on flags previously ?

cjsab
kco wrote:

Is doesn't matter weather you are doing him a favour or not. Is it rude to ask another player to resign. Never ever happen in the otb or anywhere. 

Just for the record: strictly speaking, I didn't "ask him to resign".  I simply mentioned the fact that his game was clearly lost, and asked if he'd like to just go ahead and resign so we could start a new game.  Seems to me that I was being most generous with him.

Anyway, I've setup my conditional moves (all 2 of them!), and plan to just forget I ever had the misfortune of being paired up with this person.

cjsab
kco wrote:

Yes, well, players don't just "go on vacation" when facing mate in 1 in OTB play, either, do they?

Charlotte

if you bombard the site admin for a 3rd time they will go round his house and check he really is on holiday.

Elubas

It's simpler to accept the rules; that way you don't have to guess the intentions of someone. Is he busy and perhaps doesn't have a lot of time for his moves? Even if that is unlikely, I think it's better that a criminal runs free than an innocent person be charged. When you just accept the rules, you don't have to guess the intentions of your opponent. Accept the fact that some people will occasionally abuse the rules -- it's better than interpreting everything against your opponent without actually knowing.

ivandh
cjsab wrote:
I didn't "ask him to resign".  I simply ... asked if he'd like to just go ahead and resign

kco
cjsab wrote:
kco wrote:

Yes, well, players don't just "go on vacation" when facing mate in 1 in OTB play, either, do they?

yes that has been happening so that is why chess.com have this fair policy come in.

cjsab
kco wrote:

The OP's opponent hasn't broken any rules except for the vacation abuse, chess.com is fully aware of this. This will come under the Fair Play Policy when the game is finish. On the hand you could have easily stalemated him and ended up in a draw instead.

Stalemate was a theoretical possibility, of course, but a very unlikely one.

His unwillingness to resign even with the offer of a rematch, on its own, would not constitute any sort of abuse or violation of fair play, but taken collectively along with his absurd draw offer, his stalling on each subsequent move, his stated hope that he might still win on time (along with his feigned ignorance -- "Can a player win on time?"), as well as his other insulting and irritating remarks, and then the pièce de résistance, his sudden invoking of the vacation privilege, a very clear picture emerges, wouldn't you say?

I think it's fair to say that chess.com would be seriously remiss not to have a word with this individual.

cjsab
ivandh wrote:
cjsab wrote:
I didn't "ask him to resign".  I simply ... asked if he'd like to just go ahead and resign

You left out the part where I offered to start a new game with him.  And if you don't see the distinction there, well, what can I say?

cjsab
JRoma wrote:

I agree with bearhugger.  You should ask yourself why it bothers you so much.  There are other games you could take on.  The win is not going anywhere.  Maybe he just wants to play to the end, so what?  He is following the rules, no rule says you have to resign.

I know, I know.  This guy just really got under my skin with some of his remarks and outright obstinance.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't let someone get to me like this.  Not sure why he did.

OK, I'll shut up now.  :-)

cjsab
bearhugger wrote:

Solution:

Step 1- Wait out the game so you can win

Step 2- Never play this idiot again.

Step 3- Use common sense in the future instead of posting rants in the forum when there's an obvious answer

*Chess.com should not be held responsible for this. Abusers will abuse and unless you have evidence of him doing malign things to every one he plays, please don't complain to us.

Step 2 I've already firmly resolved myself to.  :-)

I do think the term "rant" is a bit harsh, don't you?  I was just frustrated at chess.com's apparent lack of recognition of what I was trying to convey to them.  I don't make a habit of registering complaints against individuals, not hardly.  But in this case, an exception seemed to be called for.

Anyway, I'm satisfied now that I've called enough attention to the matter, and am ready to let it go.  Sorry if anyone thinks this was just a total waste of bandwidth.  I suppose, in a sense, you could say I was "psyched" by this person.  But hey, I'm only human!  :-)

cjsab
Charlotte_212 wrote:

if you bombard the site admin for a 3rd time they will go round his house and check he really is on holiday.

LOL.  :-)  Hey, now there's an idea!