Forums

Why is it STILL possible for people to find us on the interactive map???

Sort:
Kernicterus

I've had an email from a member I invited to this site asking me why people are able to tell her where she lives when she has made no indication about it whatsoever. 

Why is this feature still telling others where we live?

erik

it won't show you if you don't put in "location"

bjazz
Gambitbuster wrote:
Why afraid if someone find our location? I never cared.

Then why are you flagged under 'international'?

PrawnEatsPrawn
Gambitbuster wrote:
bjazz wrote:
Gambitbuster wrote:

Because i am a philosopher and have risen above the casts, religions and nations.

* Smirk *

blackfirestorm
PrawnEatsPrawn wrote:
Gambitbuster wrote:
bjazz wrote:
Gambitbuster wrote:

Because i am a philosopher and have risen above the casts, religions and nations.

* Smirk *

lol

Cystem_Phailure

It's funny how people with weird ideas always think they've risen above others rather than sunk below them.

trigs
Cystem_Phailure wrote:

It's funny how people with weird ideas always think they've risen above others rather than sunk below them.

it's a fine line.

trigs
Gambitbuster wrote:
Actually all humans are weird, drawing lines all along the earth. Even they have created lines on the moon, despite there is no water and air.I do not believe in these lines just like birds and bees. And you can not say me weird and smirk because i am not trying to make you believe in these.Some flags international because they want to hide their identity and some think in the way like me.

i have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

"drawing lines all along the earth" - roads/tracks/etc. i guess? because you also compare it to the moon so i'm assuming you're not talking about theoretical lines (as in what i was referring to).

"I do not believe in these lines just like birds and bees." - you don't believe in birds and bees? what the heck stung me last week then? and what the heck crapped on my car this morning?

Apoapsis
trigs wrote:
Gambitbuster wrote:

"I do not believe in these lines just like birds and bees." - you don't believe in birds and bees? what the heck stung me last week then? and what the heck crapped on my car this morning?

What stung you? A hornet, a wasp, that drop in your pay...

What crapped on your car? A bee, your dog, a metaphsical ninja come to destroy us all...

</sarcasm>

trigs
Schachgeek wrote:
AfafBouardi wrote:

I've had an email from a member I invited to this site asking me why people are able to tell her where she lives when she has made no indication about it whatsoever. 

Afaf are you talking about the google map by ip address? It doesn't show your physical location, only the location of your internet service provider. From that it may be possible for a highly motivated stalker to extrapolate and find you, but it's not like someone can just go click, click, click and find out where your house is.

i know where you live. hide your children.

Skipgugg
Hmmmmm.....
TheGrobe
Schachgeek wrote:
AfafBouardi wrote:

Afaf are you talking about the google map by ip address? It doesn't show your physical location, only the location of your internet service provider. From that it may be possible for a highly motivated stalker to extrapolate and find you, but it's not like someone can just go click, click, click and find out where your house is.

This completely misses the point -- it should be entirely up to the user what information about them, however generic, is made public.

TheGrobe

I'd suggest it should be an opt-in feature at a minimum.  Also, there should be no way for you to find out my IP address simply by interacting with me here -- I'm pretty sure that all messaging, including during game-play is already routed through chess.com' servers so my IP should be 100% obcured from the other users here, and rightly so.

I can't speak for Meebo though -- is it a peer-to-peer or server hosted service?  In either case I have it disabled.

ilikeflags

haha  afaf

philidorposition

The trick was that when they leave the location section blank, or enter a location that google maps can't find, the system automatically shows the location of the ISP. So users need to put in a random location (like "international" or something) that does bring results from google maps search.

I thought this problem was solved altogether.

Phobetrix
philidor_position wrote:

The trick was that when they leave the location section blank, or enter a location that google maps can't find, the system automatically shows the location of the ISP. So users need to put in a random location (like "international" or something) that does bring results from google maps search.

I think Afaf has a point. You are international but located at/near Sunderland UK according to the map.

philidorposition
Phobetrix wrote:
philidor_position wrote:

I think Afaf has a point. You are international but located at/near Sunderland UK according to the map.

I completely agree with Afaf and theGrobe about this. The location near Sunderland UK is what Google Maps search brings when you enter "international". It's an outcome of the "manual" solution I've explained above to this privacy problem.

theoreticalboy

Haha, Sunderland is international?!

philidorposition
theoreticalboy wrote:

Haha, Sunderland is international?!

That's what google thinks Smile.

bigpoison
Gambitbuster wrote:
bjazz wrote:
Gambitbuster wrote:

What's it like up there?