Forums

Opening Mistakes........

Sort:
watchthehit

Don't make opening mistakes.

billwall
1.e3 is weak, 2.Nh3 is weak, 3.f4 is bad (time for 3.Ng1 or 3.g3), but 3...exf4 allows White back into the game.  Black should play 3...Bxh3 4.gxh3 Qh4+ 5.Ke2 exf4 and if 6.exf4, then 6...Qxf4, leaving White with an exposed King.  Black can follow up with ...Nc6 and O-O-O.  Now, after 3...exf4 4.Nxf4, White is actually better.  After 4...Nf6, White should play 5.Be2 and 6.O-O for a strong game.  Instead of 11.Rf1, best is 11.O-O and 12.Nc3.  Later, 13.Qd2 was bad for White.  White should have played 13.Nc3 Qd8 14.Rxh6 Rxh6 15.Qf2.
Bonzlibir
I rarely see an e3 opening for White. I myself never use that opening. That seems passive to me.
Don1
it's hard to argue with Bill. you usually find a way to comeback, nice quick finish & with the Black pieces!
watchthehit
Bill ur a genius :)
Hugh_T_Patterson
I am still taking lessons and training, but I was taught to be move agressive when seeking control of the central squares, develop and not lose tempo, and lastly not to play near the rim. I say this because I don't know some of the more abstract games that have been played where players mayopen away from direct central square attack.
Patzer24
I don't think that 1. e3 is so bad. It can surely transpose to some other opening. For example, 1. e3 d5 2. f4 and you have the Bird's opening. Also on 1. e3 d5 2. d4 you can play the Colle system and on 1. e3 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. exd4 you are playing the French exchange a tempo up.
Crash
MattHelfst wrote: I don't think that 1. e3 is so bad. It can surely transpose to some other opening. ... on 1. e3 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. exd4 you are playing the French exchange a tempo up.

Wouldn't that be the same as playing the French exchange as white?

In your example if black plays 3.d5 then you are playing the French Exchange by a different order of moves.  You are not a tempo up on normal lines.  It is difficult for white to prove any advantage in this line other than the normal one ply advantage arising out of moving first.

Crash

bigmac30
Opening mistakes frech is terrible the best of time and as played white was allways going to get a bagel after move 3 or 4.
pawnshover
I used to study the French. But do I know , I also studied the Caro-Kan't.
adonistanbul

we have to talk about couple of white's moves. White has no aim no strategy to improve its game. on other hand black has enough game knowledge to punish white's aimless. IF YOU HAVE NO STRATEGY YOU CAN NOT WIN THE GAME. Wink

zorro4
 i will not talk about somebodys game, mine is no thing of beauty,but i do agree with adonistanbul, i hit funks sometimesand can't see a thing, if i don;t wake up ......i lose
bendcat
yeah agree, 1.e3 is not that bad but the 2nd move 2.Nh3 is very bad it may lead white king to be expose. And possible white king can't castle to the queen side and soon be checkmate.
Royd
e3? what a bad move... you are just waiting to lose... if you play it against kasparov, kasparov would surely laugh at it...