Forums

Super Long Game-any tips?

Sort:
firestare500

Here is game, could anyone help me where i made mistakes? I think i did pretty good, saying he was a full 300-400 points higher and i lasted about 100 moves.

Akuni

I dont mean to sound cynical, but playing on that long in a lost position is rude. If you're looking to learn you can ask him for a post-mortem, but resign if there's no escape.

Your biggest mistakes were:

9, 19, 22 (over-aggresive), 23, 24, 33, 35, 46 (Qb4+ kept you comptetive)

gramos9956

Akuni, I would respectfully disagree with the view that playing on that long in a lost position it "rude."  I would have resigned, but that is for each individual player to decide.

In other competitive games, such as basketball, soccer, or American football, when one side has an insurmountable lead, the losing team doesn't just quit the game and default when it is obvious they are going to lose.  They just continue playing the game in a sportmanlike manner, giving it their all until the end.  There's nothing wrong or rude about that, in my humble opinion.

Along with that, it helps both sides with their endgame practice.  I don't mind people not resigning in games that I am winning; it gives me more of such endgame practice.

Lastly, who knows, if the winning player gets careless, there may be a stalemate.  It has happened even to the best.

Respectfully,

George

maximus_dragon

keep oppostion king vs king and dont trade material unless it will give you an advantage or you have to.

Akuni

"In other competitive games, such as basketball, soccer, or American football, when one side has an insurmountable lead, the losing team doesn't just quit the game and default when it is obvious they are going to lose.  They just continue playing the game in a sportmanlike manner, giving it their all until the end.  There's nothing wrong or rude about that, in my humble opinion."

these games also have time limits and spectators.

chssboi

well you had a petty crazy pawn structure on your queen side, maybe that attributed to it... it was a great game though, well played.

firestare500

thanks for the tips. THe reason i dragged it out is because i wanted to see how he would beat me, usually i would resign in a position like this