Forums

What's the right time to castle?

Sort:
chessnting

I generally wait for castling from my opponent, and avoid any castling until and unless it is not mandatory. And tries to attack on his castling side, most of the time it works. But a high chance always remians there as my king is open. I lost few games from strong position against good players. Should i continue with my current tactics and what is the perfect timing to castle.

irWietje

Really depends on the opening too. In an e4 e5 opening you cannot castle soon enough but when I play Caro Kann for example you can often wait as it is not certain which side you'd like to castle, or sometimes you don't castle at all. So the main answer is: be more specific.

SharmaPawan

Use my trick  :-

Wait for Opponent to castle and Then Castle Opposite Side . You will be able to create a pawn storm

chessnting

@pfren: but if u r castling early in the game u r setting a target for ur opponent to shoot on with full force early in the game.

JamieKowalski

As early as it makes sense to. 

Don't forget that the king in the center is usually a much bigger target.

hiredgun777
JamieKowalski wrote:

As early as it makes sense to. 

Don't forget that the king in the center is usually a much bigger target.

Unless you are a really experienced player, and know what you are doing, this is the advice to go with.  Can´t tell you how many times I´ve gotten burned on a totally winning position because I still hadn´t castled!!!!

CaptJackAubrey

Chess.com learning material suggests castling by the tenth move. Not that I am very good (1000ish) but I generally try to do this and it seems to work better for me. Although there are times I wait to see how my opponent's pawn structure is shaping up and I will try to castle away from it.