Forums

So ... Anyone else been to Vulcan ???

Sort:
CaptainPike

Tx!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts.

Having read thru the thread about the Captains that I mentioned on the previous page I think that I need to modify my own rankings. There is a lot of good info on that other thread so I will set new rankings: Kirk = 1A and Picard = 1B. 

TheGigiLevin

Hey, cabadenwurt, I LOVE "errand of mercy"!!!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post GigiLevin.

" Errand Of Mercy " is one of my very favourite episodes from the first series. John Abbott did a great job as the Organian Leader and John Colicos ( he was from Canada ) had a lot of fun as the Commander of the Klingons. Among the many other episodes of the old series that I also really like are " The Enterprise Incident " and also " Balance Of Terror ".

cabadenwurt

The subject of the Original Star Trek Series came up on another thread the other day. Someone had gone on the internet and found out that 80 episodes were made over a period of 3 seasons. If I remember correctly ( a big if there ) TV shows have 24 episode produced per season and the rest of the year if covered by re-runs and specials. Three seasons would then have been 72 episodes and therefore a 4th season would also have been started to air the other 8 shows that were produced ( just a question for the trivia fans, 3 seasons or 4 seasons ? ). Undecided 

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Steve212000, hope that you liked the thread.

cabadenwurt

I see that you use a photo of Captain Picard for your avatar. On the previous page there is a link to a thread about Star Trek Captains.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Steve212000, I never got very far into Dune.

Earlier on this page I mentioned a favourite episode of mine as being " Errand Of Mercy ". I'm also very fond of " Balance Of Terror " where the Romulans are encountered for the first time. 

gaereagdag

I have never been to Vulcan.

I did watch Star Trek in the early 1980's.I remember 1 episode where the Enterprise gets overun by these tiny fluffball creatures that look a bit like spherical dandelions. There was another one where Kirk and Spock beam down to a planet and can't beam back up. The planet is going to be decimated by an asteroid in a few hours. Spock saves the day with his logic. He suggests that they should repeat the exact conversation that they had just before finding out that they were stuck. Upon doing so they are beamed back up.

gaereagdag

You beat me to it! That was it! The trouble with Tribbles!!!!!!!!! That was a great episode.

Javan64

Steve212000, isn't that pic of Kirk in his toupe vault?

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts.

I've noticed a bit of a technical glitch in the " Balance Of Terror " Episode, mind you that is not surprising as it was only the 9th show produced. Anyway it is kind of funny because the Captain calls for a Phaser attack and the crew fires off Proton Torpedos instead, bit of a chuckle there. Smile

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Steve212000, as the show went on they did get better at avoiding these gitches. Thanks also for the photo of Kirk and the Tribbles, that was a funny episode ( a bit of that show is spliced into Episode # 503 of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine entitled " Trials and Tribble-ations " ).

cabadenwurt

A new Star Trek movie is to be released soon and " Star " magazine has brought out a Special collectors edition for fans. Eight pages of this special magazine are devoted to the new film but the rest of this 82 page publication cover the other Star Trek productions that have been done over the years. Indeed they even mention the animated series ( Surprise ! ) of which only 22 episodes were made.   

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Steve212000.

I got a copy of this special edition 2 days ago in a local store so I imagine that it has been on the shelves in big-city stores for a while. I think that this publication is a very nice item.

cabadenwurt

On the previous page I mentioned that in another thread someone had stated that there were 80 episodes made of the Original Series. Well there seems to be a minor bit of confusion out there as they claim that only 79 episodes being filmed in the Star Trek collector's special from Star magazine. The titles of the episodes are not listed but perhaps the confusion concerns episode #1 entitled " The Cage " which was the first pilot made for  the series. It was later restored even tho parts of it are only in black and white. Also parts of this episope were later spliced into a 2 part episode where Spock hi-jacks the Enterprise and is then placed on trial. Anyway I'm not sure if some sources count the restored pilot as a regular episode.

CaptainPike

LoL, Steve!

cabadenwurt

Also mentioned in the Star special mag are the totals of the episodes for the other Star Trek series. " ST Next Generation " leads with 176 followed closely by " Deep Space Nine " with 173. " Voyager " stayed for 168 and " Enterprise " had 97 episodes filmed. Plus 12 movies have been made as well  counting 2009 Star Trek.  

cabadenwurt

When we look at the Star Trek Franchise of several TV Series plus all of the films as well we sometimes tend to forget an important person in this saga. We may have arguments about Captains ( Kirk vs Picard, etc ) but there is one name that should also be recognized here. The late Gene Roddenberry was the Series Creator and also for many years the Guardian of all things Star Trek. The often told story going back to 1964 is that Roddenberry sold the series as a " Wagon Train To The Stars " when he talked to TV Network people about his idea ( this was back in the days of lots of Westerns on TV ). And as they say: the rest is history !     

CaptainPike

I got emotional when he passed. He also was the creator of "Andromeda".