Forums

Nationality Question

Sort:
DrSpudnik

Is there some reason why people are listed unde Great Britain and United Kingdom as separate entities? People can also list themselves as members from the constituent nations that are part of the United Kingdom (the Disunited Kingdom) if they choose. From a purely statistical standpoint, this makes a who-is-from-where tracking difficult.

Not that it's particularly, earth-shatteringly important...I'm just curious.

ivandh

This guy thinks its important...

DrSpudnik

Well, then why do you think it is important that England, Wales,The United Kingdom and Great Britain have four separate listings? Together they would have 192,000 members, making them the second largest entity after the USA. It just produces a weird statistical anomaly.

artfizz
DrSpudnik wrote:

Well, then why do you think it is important that England, Wales,The United Kingdom and Great Britain have four separate listings? Together they would have 192,000 members, making them the second largest entity after the USA. It just produces a weird statistical anomaly.

The U.S. was split 6 ways in the World League ...

Masterful_Forfeit wrote: momijigari, I'm afraid that if we don't split the US up, it will have a horrendously unbalanced advantage over the competition.

to balance up their numerical dominance - which didn't please everyone -

momijigari wrote: USA team doesn't need to be splitted in parts.

And if it does, I'm affraid, Ukraine won't join the league. Such a league won't be «legitimate» in my point of view. All we want is teams representing counties, that's it. We already have a thousands of groups representing whatever they want to.

(http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/new-group-team-canada-teams-for-each-country-discuss)

but by appearing smaller - Britain avoided this fate.

'Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.'

Knightvanguard
ivandh wrote:

This guy thinks its important...

Why did you say that?  It seems that he is only asking a question. One can either ask questions or remain eternally unaware.  To me, he chose to learn.