Forums

some suggested improvements to online chess

Sort:
SchuBomb

Hiya there, I wanted to post about some possible improvements to chess.com's online chess component, because good though it is, I think it could be still better.

It is based of a facebook application "My Chess". I am in no way involved with this app other than being a player, I just admire its features, and hope chess.com can learn from them. It's what I was using mainly for chess before I upgraded my membership here. Now, while it's just a little facebook app with no other features other than playing games, it did manage to have a really great UI, with a few features I think this site could benefit from.

First of all, when reviewing the moves of a game, finished or ongoing, you don't have to go to an analysis board to analyse, you can just make moves. I know it's not a big deal to go to an analysis board, but it does necessitate clicking on analyse, waiting for the extra tab or window (depending on how you've set your browser up) to load, and then you can analyse, where in this app, you don't have to wait for anything, just go to the position where you want to start, and start moving the pieces, and when you're finished, just click on a move in the move list to go back to the actual game.

Second of all, this means you can very easily see the consequences of whatever move you're going to make without opening up a new analysis board. Again, you just make moves, then go back whenever you feel like it.

Third of all, when you make analysis moves based on the current position, it will start recording this variation's moves, and it will give you the option, with a tickbox, of including this as a conditional move. This makes setting up conditional moves about 5 times faster than on chess.com. The only limitation here is that you can only set one line up at a time, but this could easily be solved by chess.com to include as many conditional moves as one could like.

I urge the staff here, if they want to improve their UI, to use this app, play a tournament or game there and see what I mean. (playing in a tournament is tricky to find, for some reason. You have to go invitations, then the tournament tab, then down to public tournaments).

Or if no-one is willing to do that, I'm happy to make a quick video, showing some of the features of this app.

EternalChess
This is some great suggestions, but speaking for alot of people here.. We don't use analysis board during games, I believe not using the analysis board helps ur chess vision improve greatly
SchuBomb
Serbo wrote:
This is some great suggestions, but speaking for alot of people here.. We don't use analysis board during games, I believe not using the analysis board helps ur chess vision improve greatly

That's a fair point, but from my point of view:

1. I already use it anyway quite often especially in complex situations, regardless of that it takes longer. I mean, obviosly not in live chess, where there just isn't time, and also not in chess in real life, but in correspondance chess, one is expected to be able to analyse the situation as deeply as one needs to.

2. My chess vision is just fine anyway, like I said, I get the practice from real life chess and live chess, and I only use analysis for the more complex situations.

Dirkus

I like the analysis suggestion that you make here. I have often wondered myself as to why we have to call another board up to do this. 

In addition, I wish it would be a little neater to block and copy the analysis moves into my Notes Window. As it stands right now, it is a rather akward process to do that.

Also, perhaps it is just me, but when I have a game window up, I have to scroll around to get to all the options. Basically, anything that falls below "Conditional Moves" can't be seen with scrolling. It would be great to have all of it in view without having to scroll down.

SchuBomb

Yeah, it is a bit annoying like that. I think the benefits of combining the game board, the analysis board and the conditional moves board would be huge!

Dirkus

Just wondering...do you think Eric checks these postings out? Or is there someplace we should go with these ideas? 

TadDude
Dirkus wrote:

Just wondering...do you think Eric checks these postings out? Or is there someplace we should go with these ideas? 

See here. http://www.chess.com/forum/

"Have a suggestion for Chess.com? Let us know here - the site gets better with your suggestions!".

Whether erik or other staff reads this forum or not, it is where you are to post.

Dirkus

I've wondered that myself. If it can be, I haven't been able to figure it out.

SchuBomb

I don't really see why the moves list, chat window and details can't be on one window without tabs.

SchuBomb

(not to mention, as I've already suggested, the game, analysis and conditional moves windows being combined).

CarVilla

Good suggestion Schubomb. Why the need to open a new pop up window?

I use the analysis board, when I'm not too lazy.