Forums

Tournament Progress Stalled. Why? Some Premiere player with a 100+ active games

Sort:
kavall

Have you ever been in a tournament where all the games in your group are finished except for all the games of just one player, who has played less than 10 moves in all his games and goes on vacation every other day? You then check him out and he has 113 active games. Now on my part I have no problem with how many games people play at once, although in my opinion it doesn't help to improve their chess much, however if it holds back a whole  tournament then it 's another matter. One possibility is to include an 'active games restriction' in the conditions for entry into tournaments. Players who prefer to play 200 games at once can then play with players who  CHOOSE to play against them. How about it Chess.com Admins? When these Super-Mega-Multi-Tasked players come to their senses like us common mortals who play 10 to 20 or so games concurrently  then they can join any tourney they like but until then some tourneys  will just be closed for them.They could even turn the tables on average players like me and have tourneys which are only open for people having 100+ or 200+ active games, then no-one will have reason to complain.

TheGrobe

Unfortunately, short of joining a no-vacation tournament, this is a reality of the way tournaments are set up here.

My opinion is that the only way to truly address this issue is to add some flexibility to the vacation caps on tournaments (i.e., the ability to set a vacation maximum as oppossed to all-or-none so that people who such as me who worry that they might have something urgent come up would be more inclined to play in them) and to implement additional time controls that would give a little more certainty with respect to the duration of a game as opposed to the duration of each move (X moves in Y days, hourglass timers etc.).

If you set up your own tournament in the mean time you can try to eliminate these types of players from your pool by selecting a relatively fast maximum time-per-move.  The maximum active games suggestion is another good one that would give TDs additional control over this type of thing.

butcher46

over here you can flash the clock cause it always reset wish life was like that we be imortals.the point is i have a game since last christmas how about that

rooperi

@ OP:

Please don't confuse slow play/vacation "abuse" with the number of games in progress. I've had up to 80, normally 30-50, My time per move is 45 mins, and I have used 10 days vacation, all in one go, when I went away on holiday. IMO you need different criteria to identify these players, not games in progress. I think a useful stat would be how many different times a player has used vacation/timeout protection over a given period.

kavall

Rooperi please do not confuse the exception with the rule. I am sure that most players who play a multitude of simultaneous games do not have such a low time per move.

rooperi
kavall wrote:

Rooperi please do not confuse the exception with the rule. I am sure that most players who play a multitude of simultaneous games do not have such a low time per move.

You are trying to restrict me, and others like me, from entering tournaments, and I get no say? In tournaments I play, I'm generally the first one in the group to complete all my games, so I'm suggesting your target is wrong, you are addressing a vailid problem, but your fix does not seem relevant.

butcher46

with all your respect you'r talking about chess. com rules ..rooperi, we know chess

butcher46

it has to be changed

butcher46

chess .com change it

meanpc

I have 100 games going, my average time/move is a little over 3 hours.  I play a move in every game every day.  I would prefer not to be restricted.

There are already options to have "No Vacation" and "Max avg. time/move" in the tournaments.  Isn't this enough?

Eo____

I personally hate it when people go on vacation during tournaments. It is particularly irritating when more than one people go on vacation one right after the other one. Tournaments that should last no more than a couple of weeks end up lasting months.

TadDude
Eo____ wrote:

I personally hate it when people go on vacation during tournaments. It is particularly irritating when more than one people go on vacation one right after the other one. Tournaments that should last no more than a couple of weeks end up lasting months.

Since timeout ratio has little meaning now you could risk registering in no-vacation tournaments.

Eo____
TadDude wrote:
Eo____ wrote:

Since timeout ratio has little meaning now you could risk registering in no-vacation tournaments.

Since I'm not a paying member some of the few tournaments I can freely register to are official chess.com tournaments, which unfortunately allow vacation.

TadDude
Eo____ wrote:

Since I'm not a paying member some of the few tournaments I can freely registered to are official chess.com tournaments, which unfortunately allow vacation.

Seems like the opportune time for anyone to create a new thread in this Site Feedback & Suggestions forum to suggest adding No Vacation official chess.com tournaments into the regular rotation.

This one-off tournament drew many participants.  http://www.chess.com/tournament/diamond-membership-prize-tournament

Since timeouts have little meaning there would be no need to offer a prize to entice members to register.

TadDude
kavall wrote:

Have you ever been in a tournament where all the games in your group are finished except for all the games of just one player, who has played less than 10 moves in all his games and goes on vacation every other day? ...

In this topic about premium members and auto-timeout protection, in post #4 http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/vacation-cheating, erik indicates a game can be adjudicated where the position is completely lost.

Eo____

I wonder who is responsible for making that adjudication? A position that looks like a losing position for a recreational chess player might be a clear win for a grandmaster.

meanpc

If you're not a paying member, this seems like it would be a good reason to become a paying member. 

Shevek154

Maybe less holiday time available? There is a downside to that in that if, for some reason, you are unable to play for a while as real life intervenes your grade goes down as you start losing on time and that skews the ratings. Maybe if one has a problem and can't play it should be possible to withdraw from a tournament in such a way as you lose the games played and your opponents get rating points for their wins but your own rating remains the same. This would only be where you'd applied for this. I have just started playing tournaments on here and have 6 on the go two of which have players who have been are on holiday just about all all the time.