Converting advantages : rook endings - I
Rook endings can occur quite often.
It is therefore recommended to learn at least a bit about it, if you have the spare time for it.
It is kind of amazing to see that very often I manage to win or draw seemingly lost rook endings, and win rook ending positions against higher rated players, although I must say that every now and then I do make mistakes and blunders as well. It is still an area for me to still study.
Here is an example in this fresh game. I want to share this with you for the ideas in it. That is : creating a passed pawn and king and rook activity are often very important in rook endings :
Here is, as a reminder, 10 generic rules to improve your rook endings :
- Activate your rook.
- Having an active rook is more important than defending a pawn forever.
- Centralize your king.
- The whole pawn chain is better when defended by 1 pawn
- Having more advanced pawns is often better.
- Exchange a pair of rooks when up in material.
- Learn by heart most basic endgames like Lucena and Philidor
- A rook is usually best behind a passed pawn.
- When you are down in material create counterplay by making a passed pawn on the side where you have equal material.
- Evaluate for whom the pawn endgame is favourable in the case of a rook exchange.
See also :