Last Friday's Set--The Pieces of the Petropolis 1973 Interzonal

cgrau
liml wrote:

This is a good looking set. I like the knight. I am curious what kind of wood was used for the dark pieces. 

I think we have the same chess table. Is that from HOS?

Yes, that's the same table.

The dark pieces are Brazilian walnut. I have to check about the white ones.

cgrau
magictwanger wrote:

Nice looking set! Always nice to see your posts....Btw,I assume you need to dust off that fine collection pretty often?-

I dust every few months. It's not that hard. I run a HEPA air filter 24/7 and it suppresses the dust. Keeping the proper levels of humidity is more work.

cgrau
Fer8799 wrote:

Nice, thanks for sharing!!

Thanks, Fer, and you're very welcome.

ronwest911

Chuck - don't want to derail the discussion on the beautiful Petropolis set but could you share your experiences with maintaining humidity in a winter climate?

cgrau
ronwest911 wrote:

Chuck - don't want to derail the discussion on the beautiful Petropolis set but could you share your experiences with maintaining humidity in a winter climate?

I keep a humidifier running that allows me to pretty much set the humidity level.

verylate

Interesting set. It  wouldn't be my favourite, but it has its charms. I'm curious about the knights especially. They look like, i don't know, some sort of terriier? In post 9 you show them with a knight from another set, just for comparison. Not a very fair comparison, as the other set is far better carved and finished, but if that's your point, well you made it. (BTW, what set is that? I remember it as the set that someone added plastic googly eyes to, but I'm sure it's not called teh googly-eyes set. Not in the advertising)

cgrau

The other knight is from the Mechanics Institute set. It's in the photo because the Petropolis knights reminded me of it.

Pollochef

https://imagebin.ca/v/3oWQmP5RQpr3

Pollochef

Sorry I'm newbie. I don't know use the links. Please send me info about #28 picture. Regards

cgrau

This is the image from #28.

null

It's hard to tell from this picture alone, but it appears it could be a reproduction of a Petropolis. How did you come across the link?

Pollochef

This is from a friend in São Paulo. But he doesn't have another photo. I try to put another much bigger.

Pollochef

https://imagebin.ca/v/3oX4DhAqaJn4

cgrau

Unfortunately, Nahuel, I just can't tell from that picture. I have seen commercially reproduced sets that have many characteristics of the Petropolis sets, but are significantly smaller and differ in a number of other aspects.

Pollochef

cgrau wrote:

Unfortunately, Nahuel, I just can't tell from that picture. I have seen commercially reproduced sets that have many characteristics of the Petropolis sets, but are significantly smaller and differ in a number of other aspects.

Thanks cgrau, I gonna keep looking for. If any need something from Argentina, please let me know. Regards.

cgrau
Pollochef wrote:
cgrau wrote:

Thanks cgrau, I gonna keep looking for. If any need something from Argentina, please let me know. Regards.

Many thanks, Nahuel! Will do! I hope to visit Argentina in the not too distant future, and I'll let you know if and when!