Forums

Sequel to Yet Another Soviet Russian Set 1955 Version

Sort:
goodknightmike

Here's some pics of a Soviet 1955 set. For comparison, see my previous post on the 1960s version. Kings measure 3.75" in height and Pawns at 1.5".  Set shown on vintage Drueke board with 2" squares. 

goodknightmike

More pics

cgrau

Gorgeous set. Pristine.

Ronbo710

Wow! I love those wide based pawns. That was one of the things that drew me to the Soviet era sets. The almost onion shape of the lower parts of the King and Queen with wide bases. Like these ... 

goodknightmike
cgrau wrote:

Gorgeous set. Pristine.

Thanks Chuck!

goodknightmike
Ronbo710 wrote:

Wow! I love those wide based pawns. That was one of the things that drew me to the Soviet era sets. The almost onion shape of the lower parts of the King and Queen with wide bases. Like these ... 

Thanks Ronbo, And thanks for the pic, Indeed a gorgeous set Tal is shown with.

informaticacobach29

Would you say that the different republics that were part of the USSR had their own style of chess pieces?

These are Latvian chess pieces, the knight kind of reminds me the ones of your chess set.

goodknightmike
informaticacobach29 wrote:

Would you say that the different republics that were part of the USSR had their own style of chess pieces?

These are Latvian chess pieces, the knight kind of reminds me the ones of your chess set.

Good question, but I would have no idea. Thanks for sharing some pics of your gorgeous Latvian set. 

UpcountryRain

Wow! Another really nice set, goodknightmike. The eye cuts in these knight seem larger than those in cgrau's red knights. And that crown on the queen looks really refined.

I think I should post my 90s set for comparison. The older sets are so much more detailed. While the sets do share a lineage, the changes through the years are obvious. I wonder if the set manufacturers were just "cutting corners" as time went on (sorry), or if they thought that they were, in fact, streamlining and modernizing the set.

cgrau
UpcountryRain wrote:

Wow! Another really nice set, goodknightmike. The eye cuts in these knight seem larger than those in cgrau's red knights. And that crown on the queen looks really refined.

I think I should post my 90s set for comparison. The older sets are so much more detailed. While the sets do share a lineage, the changes through the years are obvious. I wonder if the set manufacturers were just "cutting corners" as time went on (sorry), or if they thought that they were, in fact, streamlining and modernizing the set.

Mine are meaner and therefore squint more.

goodknightmike
UpcountryRain wrote:

Thanks UpcountryRain, Yes, I'm looking forward to your 90s set pics

cgrau
UpcountryRain wrote:

Up, I'd say as time went on, the details were degraded to speed up production and decrease costs. I think it had nothing to do with streamlining or modernizing.

UpcountryRain
cgrau wrote:
UpcountryRain wrote:

Up, I'd say as time went on, the details were degraded to speed up production and decrease costs. I think it had nothing to do with streamlining or modernizing.

I would agree with you, cgrau, I would agree. While my set is a descendant of the Latvian line, it does not possess the beauty of its predecessors.

UpcountryRain

Here are a few pics of my Latvian set. The shopkeeper claims that it was manufactured in 1990. I would not know how to dispute it but I'm not sure I would. In comparison to all of the Latvian sets I have seen posted, this one is proves to be the simplest. (Please excuse my humble pics. I am using my wife's phone as I do not have one myself.)

The Family:

The Royals:

Note the simplicity of the Queen's crown.

The Bishop:

His mitre has also lost its traditional pointy top.

The Knight:

His carvings are there but very subtle. His eyes, not even cuts.

The Rook:

Without crenellations.

And the Pawn:

He, too, has changed.

The youngest - and possibly the last - in the line of Latvians has lost the elegance of the ancestors with their fine flourishes. Yet they still carry themselves and their legacy quite well on the board.

goodknightmike
UpcountryRain wrote:

Here are a few pics of my Latvian set. The shopkeeper claims that it was manufactured in 1990. I would not know how to dispute it but I'm not sure I would. In comparison to all of the Latvian sets I have seen posted, this one is proves to be the simplest. (Please excuse my humble pics. I am using my wife's phone as I do not have one myself.)

The Family:

The Royals:

Note the simplicity of the Queen's crown.

The Bishop:

His mitre has also lost its traditional pointy top.

The Knight:

His carvings are there but very subtle. His eyes, not even cuts.

The Rook:

Without crenellations.

And the Pawn:

He, too, has changed.

The youngest - and possibly the last - in the line of Latvians has lost the elegance of the ancestors with their fine flourishes. Yet they still carry themselves and their legacy quite well on the board.

Thanks for the pics UpcountryRain. A simple yet charming set. I love it! 

Ronbo710

I wish there was a definitive study of the all styles of Soviet sets (in book form). To me these tools of the trade are pure ART !! Were any of the vintage Soviet pro sets weighted? I love the mix of East and West in their forms. Thanks for these GREAT images guys Smile

UpcountryRain
goodknightmike wrote:

Thanks, goodknightmike. Yes, the set is charming and I love it. And I hope its simplicity helps you to appreciate even more the early sets of the Latvian line in your collection.

UpcountryRain
Ronbo710 wrote:

I wish there was a definitive study of the all styles of Soviet sets (in book form). To me these tools of the trade are pure ART !! Were any of the vintage Soviet pro sets weighted? I love the mix of East and West in their forms. Thanks for these GREAT images guys 

I agree with you Ronbo710; pure art. Until that book arrives, however, you're in the right place. Many of the sets in these forum pages are spectacular.

cgrau
Ronbo710 wrote:

I wish there was a definitive study of the all styles of Soviet sets (in book form). To me these tools of the trade are pure ART !! Were any of the vintage Soviet pro sets weighted? I love the mix of East and West in their forms. Thanks for these GREAT images guys 

I wholly agree, Ronbo. Some of my Soviet sets are weighted, but none heavily. Most rely on wide bases and narrow stems to create a low center of gravity. All of my Grossmeister sets, each over 11 cm, all are weighted. These 10 cm Latvian sets are unweighted, but I defy anyone to tip one of those pawns over even as light as they are. I have one interesting set, which I haven't posted pictures of yet, where the original owner added his own weights. As to the history, Ronbo, check out this blog and video by Arlindo Vieira, aka BurnAmos here. 

http://xadrezmemoria.blogspot.com/search/label/Soviet%20Chess%20Set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXTwxG4N62Y

cgrau
UpcountryRain wrote:
goodknightmike wrote:

Thanks, goodknightmike. Yes, the set is charming and I love it. And I hope its simplicity helps you to appreciate even more the early sets of the Latvian line in your collection.

I love your set, Up. And fantastic shots of it! When my pieces talk to me they tell me they like close-ups.