Forums

Online Chess - Conditional Moves & Openings.

Sort:
falgocharm

1.Regarding the "Conditional Moves" functionarlity in Online Chess.

Online Chess provides the ability to make conditional moves in games.  It has limited functionality and there is no way to program a set move regardless of your oponent's move.  I would like to see this implemented.  In certain tactical scenarios your oponents move will be irrelevant to your planned move.  This would help to speed up and streamline "Conditional Moves". 

Conditional moves usually become useful during the endgame where specific tactical devices/sequences are often apparent.  Therefore; a button ["oponent moves"] needs to be included in the conditional moves interface.

2. Another Great Idea - The Opening Repertoire.

My first years membership of Chess.com draws to an end~~ I have played nearly 700 games of online chess~~ I've developed some favorate openings as white and black. 

A great function to have an Openings Repertoire ~~

The openings repertoire could be set to RUN (or not) as a new game of Online Chess is begun.  & By "opening repertoire" I am referring to a function which could be set to play a number of "set moves" INCLUDING your favored openings until play deviates from the line. There might be a limit of say 6 - 10 moves to prevent abuse.

a)  You guys at chess.com might implement a function to "Save Repertoire" with a name at any point up to move 10 in any game of Online Chess.

b) This would just save work essentially for members who know their openings and want to provide a prompt response to the opening manoevres chosen by the oponent when they may be AFK( away from keyboard).

c)  If this function ([Openings Repertoires]) became available to diamond members I'm sure many people would like to upgrade their accounts to take advantage of it.

Your thoughts,

windownight - Avid Chess.com enthusiast.

psss. this has been ANOTHER GREAT IDEA.

falgocharm
ajedrecito wrote:

I think the one where your reply does not take your opponent's move into account has some problems with it, but having a preset of conditionals you could paste into a text box or something would be pretty cool (like your opening repertoire idea).

Yeah, we need opening repertoires.  Anyone with a rating this high should be believed, even if he is only using a chess engine to make his moves.

artfizz

These earlier discussions may interest you ...

1. conditional-move---dont-care-option;    should-you-ever-resign?page=5

2. standing-conditional-moves

falgocharm

Fezzik - "You do realise that publicly accusing another player of cheating is against the site rules, don't you?"

No I do, but the point is that having an openings repertoire is essentially the use of a chess engine which is what I am advocating.

Fezzik - "I don't see a compelling reason for chess.com to add a "repertoire option" for paying members."

Yeah, point tekan.  But I don't believe playing through the first five moves of the Evans Gambit continuously really adds much capital to my playing experience.

Afteritall there does come a point where you want to say "I know this and lets get into the play already!?"

Martin_Stahl
windownight wrote:

No I do, but the point is that having an openings repertoire is essentially the use of a chess engine which is what I am advocating.

No, it isn't. An engine thinks/calculates for itself. Your idea, doesn't do any thinking/calculating on its own, thus isn't an engine.  It really isn't much different than the conditional move system but where you get to have saved sets of conditionals in the opening.

falgocharm

Harrumph that.  Chess.com is a chess engine if you aks me.

Besides, thinking about how many games I could win simply by programming all known traps into my openings repertoire really gets the tonsils salivating.

I guess this is problematic.

Perhaps a repertoire could be limited to 10 or 20 lines.

falgocharm

Flamma_Aquila - addressed standing conditional moves here ~

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/suggestions/standing-conditional-moves?quote_id=4428773#last_comment

Cystem_Phailure
windownight wrote:  Chess.com is a chess engine if you aks me.

??????

You're clearly clueless as to what a chess engine is.

falgocharm
Cystem_Phailure wrote:
windownight wrote:  Chess.com is a chess engine if you aks me.

??????

You're clearly clueless as to what a chess engine is.

someone who knows what a chess engine is has mania and doesn't stick to teh topic.

falgocharm
ajedrecito wrote:

I think the one where your reply does not take your opponent's move into account has some problems with it, but having a preset of conditionals you could paste into a text box or something would be pretty cool (like your opening repertoire idea).

Well I suppose there could be interference making a programmed move impossible... But chess.com should be able to figure that out then give me my move.