Forums

How did Francis Anquandah get the IM title as a 1960 player?

Sort:
frozenwater

my point is that i am not a sorry player

my point is that if he was an IM that she would have played better

VLaurenT
zezpwn44 wrote:
Trash_Aesthetic wrote:

it is  unfair but fide is a business, they can do which they want

It seems like no one understands how FIDE works. So many people aren't happy with them and they're supposed to represent chess players, but no one knows how to change anything

It's a bit like any governing body when you think about it... Smile

TheRealGMBobbyFish
frozenwater wrote:

I don't understand how he could be an IM.  but on another chess website (ICC) he is listed as an IM. 

i just blew him away in two 3 0 games.  my 4 year old nephew knows it is not right to lie.  i don't understand how people get away with claiming to be an IM. 

He shows as an IM here too.  More importantly, FIDE shows him as an IM.  Get over it.

zezpwn44
TheRealGMBobbyFish wrote:
frozenwater wrote:

I don't understand how he could be an IM.  but on another chess website (ICC) he is listed as an IM. 

i just blew him away in two 3 0 games.  my 4 year old nephew knows it is not right to lie.  i don't understand how people get away with claiming to be an IM. 

He shows as an IM here too.  More importantly, FIDE shows him as an IM.  Get over it.

We're not complaining that he "literally" doesn't have the IM title - obviously he does. We're complaining that FIDE giving out such a coveted title to a player of expert strength seriously devalues the title, and undermines the thounsands of hours of work and effort that many Experts and Masters put it to try to earn it.

Novagames

You have the answer in your first post

FIDE definately work to promote chess in various countrys using many manners.

frozenwater

shall we move to american samoa to get an IM title

fishface2
pfren wrote:
Kenneth_Thomas wrote:

Yeah, I was annoyed a few years ago when I played an FM who didn't even have a FIDE rating! So beating him didn't help my own FIDE rating. He was, of course, a very young kid.

Nonsense. You cannot get a FIDE title (even a honorary one) without a FIDE rating.

In fact, you are mistaken. I played Tanuj Vasudeva in the 2010 National Open Under-2200 section in Las Vegas. As you can see from his FIDE profile (https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2035863), he earned the FM title in 2009, but you will see from his ratings progress chart that he did not have a FIDE rating until 2012.

frozenwater

yah yah

TheRealGMBobbyFish
zezpwn44 wrote:
TheRealGMBobbyFish wrote:
frozenwater wrote:

We're not complaining that he "literally" doesn't have the IM title - obviously he does. We're complaining that FIDE giving out such a coveted title to a player of expert strength seriously devalues the title, and undermines the thounsands of hours of work and effort that many Experts and Masters put it to try to earn it.

Did you read the post I replied to?

I seriously doubt it devalues the title.  Simply go to the FIDE rating lists and work out the average rating of IM's.  Then add one more player of any rating below 2400 and see how much that lowers the average rating of IM's. 

Anquanda plays in Africa.  It's not like there is anywhere in Africa where he can play regular FIDE or even quality tournaments to get anywhere in ratings let alone 'First Saturday' tournaments for norms.

Clearly promoting chess as a tournament player and an arbiter he he trying to justice to chess in Africa.  Give him a break, maybe chess in his region will catch up one day due to his and FIDE's efforts.  If not, it's not hurting you or any titled players anyway.  

kaspariano

I wouldn't feel mad at all about people getting fIDE titles with "low" requirements for them.  It is time for FIDE to get done away with the usual requirements for getting titles, in my opinion those requirements are made for psychos playing the game.  Come on now:  How many of the millions of people who play chess in the world get to be 2300 FIDE or so. 

fishface2

pfren, thanks for the info, I stand corrected.

zezpwn44
kaspariano wrote:

I wouldn't feel mad at all about people getting fIDE titles with "low" requirements for them.  It is time for FIDE to get done away with the usual requirements for getting titles, in my opinion those requirements are made for psychos playing the game.  Come on now:  How many of the millions of people who play chess in the world get to be 2300 FIDE or so. 

That's the whole point. The titles are meaningful because they're hard to get. If 50% of people had a phD in mathematics, the title would become meaningless. Same here.

The_Ghostess_Lola

....is this him ?

AquilaT

He didn't put the title on himself, did he? Or he waltzed into FIDE headquarters and got the "honorary" title, as someone described it in an earlier post.

He met the criteria! Like a colleague said on another platform, "If it were that easy, shouldn't we have a lot of IMs in Africa?"

In other sports, people qualify from their remote regions and burst onto the global scene because they met the minimum criteria. Nothing hinders any other person seeking laurels from translocating to such "poorly resourced" regions of all they want is to chalk laurels. 

We celebrate the few we have. We'll continue until the last chess piece disintegrates from the board. Let's get a fraction of the massive investment in chess out there and the world will be ours for the taking! 

fewlio

Africa!

MickinMD

One reason for awarding titles of rating floors is to keep good players from losing a lot of games on purpose so their rating drops by the time the next big-prize tournament comes along and they enter in a lower category and win.

wonlostdrew

I.M? I.M? I....aM not gonna work here anymore

Seriously though frontrunner for weakest IM in the world, unless he lets other people play on his account. There's gotta be a hand full of Ghanan experts in the states right now wondering if they left too soon.

Oliver_Prescott

https://bruvschessmedia.com/2020/07/09/up-close-and-personal-with-im-anquandah-francis-eric/

chessdrummer

It's amazing how there are more than 40 comments and NOBODY here understands how these things work. Each region is broken into zones and holds subzonal tournaments. If you get clear first in a subzonal, you are awarded the IM title, regardless of the strength of the field. It's as simple as that. All regions have the ability to submit winners of these tournaments to FIDE as candidates for the title. If you score 50% you earn an FM title. I am not in agreement with this policy, but nevertheless, this is a FIDE rule. It has nothing to do with "affirmative action" or trying to do something nefarious. It is a FIDE regulation.

Martin_Stahl
chessdrummer wrote:

It's amazing how there are more than 40 comments and NOBODY here understands how these things work. Each region is broken into zones and holds subzonal tournaments. If you get clear first in a subzonal, you are awarded the IM title, regardless of the strength of the field. It's as simple as that. All regions have the ability to submit winners of these tournaments to FIDE as candidates for the title. If you score 50% you earn an FM title. I am not in agreement with this policy, but nevertheless, this is a FIDE rule. It has nothing to do with "affirmative action" or trying to do something nefarious. It is a FIDE regulation.

That answer was provided in post 4.