Forums

Bulldog Challenge Game (Martin0 - captaintugwash)

Sort:
vickalan

null

This is a Bulldog chess with Witch challenge game between @Martin0 (White) and @captaintugwash (Black). Tug earned the right to challenge Martin0 by winning candidate game "Tug vs. Tomato".  The players in the candidate game were selected by the bulldog chess federation by a combination of ELO score and history of former opponents.

Game rules:
Board: 10 x 8 (see image below).

The pieces:
Guard (G) - Moves and captures like a king.

null

Witch (W) - The witch is transparent to friendly pieces, and she also makes all adjacent pieces (friend and foe) transparent to friendly pieces (but pieces are not transparent for the witch). The witch does not capture other pieces, but she can be captured. Although pieces are not transparent to the witch, she is very agile; she combines the movement of queen, knight, and can jump orthogonally and diagonally two squares. Transparency of a piece means that other pieces can move, attack, and capture right through the piece.

null

Board Setup:

null

Note the position of Black's king and queen are switched compared to classical chess. This is so the guard and witch are equal distance to each player's king and queen.

Castling:
The rules of castling are similar as in classical chess, however, with the board 10 squares wide, the king travels three squares rather than two. The rook finishes adjacent to the king. All squares between the king and the involved rook must be unoccupied, with the exception of the witch and pieces made transparent by the witch.

Misc: Pawns play the same as in classical chess. Pawns can promote to queen, rook, bishop, knight in addition to guard and witch. Promotions are unlimited (not restricted to pieces that have been captured).

Other rules of this game are identical with rules of classical chess.

Martin0 plays White. Good luck to both players!happy.png

Martin0

It is finally happening! Good luck!

1.e4

null

captaintugwash

Here we go!

Watching the Champions League Final, I'll move later.

hitthepin

Good luck!

hitthepin
If we take a straight-out comparison of rating between the two, Martin0 has 1.114-to-1 odds of success, or 52%. However, Martin0’s system uses a base of 1200, and subtracting 1200 from both player’s scores, Martin0’s chances jump to 1.7-to-1, or 62.9%! Both players have a 100% win rate, which now suggests that the odds are 50-50. Also, neither player has ever played each other, also supporting a 50-50 belief.

Please note that this information is coming from an eight grader who is bored and has nothing to do. Read this information at your own risk! 🙂
JamesAgadir

I am betting on Martin, he has experience and a higher rating in normal chess (both being unbeaten it seems unfair to compare bull dog ratings, also chess and bull dog levels are connected).

Jakker4

Martin0 has won 12 games and lost none, which, if his opponents had skills equal to him, had about a 1 in 531441 chance of happening (assuming equal chance of win, loss, and draw). Martin0 would have to have about a 94% chance of winning against any given opponent for this to occur even half the time. captaintugwash, however, has won 5 games and lost none. If his opponents have the same skill level as he, that would occur about 1 time in 243. He would only need an 85% chance of winning against any given opponent for this to happen half the time. Therefore, I give Martin0 a 70.1% chance of winning, a 25.3% chance of losing, and a 4.6% chance of drawing.

Again, just an eighth grader posting stats. Trust them or don't, whether you trust mine or hitthepin's is up to you.

JamesAgadir

Are 50 percent of Bulldog chess players 8th graders ?

Waredude
I would not be surprised.
captaintugwash

Good luck martin!

1... g5

Waredude
Hmmmmmmm......all of the above.
vickalan

This is the biggest spectator reaction I've ever seen for a bulldog game! Thirteen comments before the second move has been played!

Remember to all: Any comments about game position and possible moves are not allowed.

null

captaintugwash

I edited my move post to bold my move, I'll bold all my moves so they stand out from the talk,

Martin0

@hitthepin, the way you compare ratings is not how elo ratings work. The only thing that matters when comparing ratings is the rating difference. A 2200 rated player has the same odds of beating a 2000 rated player as a 1200 rated player has of beating a 1000 rated player.

My bulldog rating is currently 164 rating points higher than captaintugwash. That corresponds to my expected winrate (including draws) to be 72 %. So the odds would be about 2.6 to 1. I do agree with @JamesAgadir though that comparing ratings of players with 100 % wins is not completely fair.

Martin0

2.d4

null

hitthepin
I know Martin. I was just bored.
Waredude
Yep. When I face him.(hoping to in a few months.) then I will win.😈👹👺grrrrrrrrrr
captaintugwash

2... Wg7

vickalan
rychessmaster1 wrote:
...a new age is coming...

Agree! I've posted this before but now is maybe a good time again. Bulldog is starting to have its own history.happy.png

Martin0

3.Nd3

null