Forums

Waterloo

Sort:
LXIVC

whenever you want

huanglz
I'm playing
IvanKosintsev

Registration for the championship of Waterloo 2017 is over.

This is a unique championship.

I can offer for other players only to play a chess variant Galaxy.

IvanKosintsev

Do you think that archaical FIDE is about to meet own Waterloo? It's time to find a new chess capital.

vickalan

Yes, especially online chess. The chess community might slowly lose interest in online FIDE chess because it will be taken over by artificial intelligence. New variants will rise up and take its place. Waterloo (the variant) might even be one of the great spires of the new paradigm.happy.png What do you think?

LXIVC

I think 8x8 is too small, but I doubt most chess players will ever be willing to play better forms of chess. The obvious step is to go to 10x10, but most (or all) of the games on that board lack the elegance of the modern 8x8 piece set. Even could a perfect larger chess be discovered, it would still not be easy to find people willing to play it.

I don't think Waterloo is good enough to replace modern european chess because of its piece selection. There is too much overlap in the movements of various pieces.

IvanKosintsev

Waterloo is only an old  bridge on our way to a new 8x8 and 10x10 chess and we like pioneers must go over the own misunderstanding. Historically China (Korea) and Russia have more chances and abilities but unfortunately they don't go and haven't any desire to help.

IvanKosintsev
LXIVC wrote:

Even could a perfect larger chess be discovered, it would still not be easy to find people willing to play it.

I like hopeless adventures without any chance. It's my weakness.

vickalan
IvanKosintsev wrote:

...I like hopeless adventures without any chance...

Me too.  It's like climbing a mountain. There's no purpose to do it. Except "because it is there".

null

IvanKosintsev

Of course a transposition of pictures in Waterloo is also possible. But Waterloo is rather Fisher's chess in a sense of Fisher's style of a play. You can play Waterloo only if you play like unforgettable Bobby.

IvanKosintsev

List of Waterloo 2017 players:

1. BattleChessGN18  (is out)

2. Vickalan  (round 2)  game(1,(1,2),2)

3. IvanKosintsev  (round 2)  game(1,(3,4),3)

4. LXIVC (is out)

WATERLOO 2017

Final

Vickalan vs. IvanKosintsev

Veterans Cup

LXIVC vs. BattleChessGN18

Welcome!

vickalan

Hi IvanKosintsev,
Congratulations on your win. I can start our game anytime. I might play a little slow at first, while I get familiar with the rules again.

One question: Is there a limit on the number of spies, jokers, and wisemen that can be added to the board? I see there are two of each color at the side. Is this the limit, or in the rare chance, can others be added to the board also?

Anytime is OK to start our game. Will you start a thread for it?

IvanKosintsev

Salute Vickalan!

I'm glad to hear you. You play as white, so you start the thread. To publish or not to publish the diagrams is your choice. If you are busy, we can increase time control.
All 72 possible pieces are present in the initial position. This is a reasonable limitation, convenient for a game alive.
I have slight but significant improvements in the rules and need a few days to publish it.
We can start on 4 or 5 August.

Good Luck!

vickalan

Ok, sounds great. Three day time control is fine with me. I hope to usually play a move in 1-2 days.

I will keep a board diagram for my own use, and might use a style like below. I will post it occasionally for a visual record of the game.

null

I look forward to your updates to the rules. It is good that you continually refine and improve the game.happy.png

IvanKosintsev

It is my duty to say that your board diagram has a clear disharmony.

It's better to exchange images Q and A. Your version is a sedition for chess players. Don't repeat my old mistake!

N can't prevail in the images for C and M.

vickalan

That's fine, if you don't like this version of graphics then I won't show it on threads for this game. I don't want to ruin the style that you prefer.

IvanKosintsev

The open intercontinental and international World Championship by knockout system

WATERLOO 2017

Rules of the game:

http://chess-checkers-go.blogspot.com/2016/12/waterloo-5th-edition.html

Final

Vickalan vs. IvanKosintsev

IvanKosintsev

En garde!

vickalan

Hi IvanKosintsev, before we start, I was wondering if you would explain some small things:

The rules say "The wiseman moves by JO or JD modes".

a) Can it jump over friendly and enemy pieces?
b) Can it jump without going over a piece?
c) What piece does it capture (the square it lands on, or the hurdle)?

Also:

What is the purpose of the new rule, "The achievement of the eighth promotional row by third pawn brings the victory"? (just curious, but this is a big difference compared to normal chess)

I noticed a new rule is, "When a guard captures a knight, he turns into a joker (if this possible)". This is much stronger than the previous guard, because it both captures, and becomes stronger in one turn. Also I see a new rule added is "The checking adviser turns immediately into a wiseman (if this possible)".

Why did you decide to add even stronger pieces to this game? (I am mostly just curious)

Thanks for your kind patience, in helping me to understand this somewhat-complicated, but excellently-designed game.happy.png

josephyossi

a lot of comments for 3 yrs i got a forum that has 600+ comments in 5 days