Forums

Can I see a map of all the people I have played?

Sort:
alan412

Ok, so this isn't needed at all.  But it would be kinda cool.  Is there any way for me to see a map of all of the people I have played chess against on chess.com?

(Like the opponents, but showing all past opponents not just current ones.)

If there isn't, I hate to suggest it as a feature request because it really is just a "hey isn't this cool" thing.

--Alan 

DeepGreene
alan412 wrote:

If there isn't, I hate to suggest it as a feature request because it really is just a "hey isn't this cool" thing.

The whole map is just a "hey isn't this cool" thing.  What's wrong with that?  I think it's a GREAT idea.  :-)

neospooky
Agreed.  Very cool idea!
SonofPearl
Maps are available to premium members
lecycliste
it's a fun feature - but although my swiss flag is associated with my account - the map pts me in California - the horror!
DeepGreene
SonofPearl wrote: Maps are available to premium members

Right... but it doesn't include the view alan412 (a premium member) is describing. (?)

As an aside, I think the map is a strange thing to put on the premium features list, precisely because it's got a high cool factor but provides relatively little actual usefulness.  It seems to me that the map is more likely to attract new members than to be a frequent stopping point for site veterans, paying or otherwise.

(Mind you, implementing alan412's suggestion would definitely add a lot.  It would be interesting to see your 'tacks' increase and spread out as you finished games on the site.)  

DeepGreene
lecycliste wrote: it's a fun feature - but although my swiss flag is associated with my account - the map pts me in California - the horror!

:-)  Interesting!  Do your Profile Details include your correct postal code?

SonofPearl
DeepGreene wrote: SonofPearl wrote: Maps are available to premium members

Right... but it doesn't include the view alan412 (a premium member) is describing. (?)

(Mind you, implementing alan412's suggestion would definitely add a lot.  It would be interesting to see your 'tacks' increase and spread out as you finished games on the site.)  

I see. Maybe this could be done. So many cool ideas, so little time...Laughing Do the Chess.com programmers ever sleep I wonder?! Laughing

Actually, I think the map is a good example of a premium feature BECAUSE it is cool...Wink

SonofPearl
If I enter my postal code, the map places me in South America!  It would be good to know how it actually works.
DeepGreene
SonofPearl wrote: If I enter my postal code, the map places me in South America!  It would be good to know how it actually works.

Whoa..  that's one for the experts.  My 'tack' is scarily on target.  If I put the map on maximum magnification, center on the "Me" tack, and hit the "Satellite" button, I can literally see my house.  :-o

erik
great idea! i'll think about it.
Loomis
DeepGreene wrote: SonofPearl wrote: If I enter my postal code, the map places me in South America!  It would be good to know how it actually works.

Whoa..  that's one for the experts.  My 'tack' is scarily on target.  If I put the map on maximum magnification, center on the "Me" tack, and hit the "Satellite" button, I can literally see my house.  :-o

You think that's scary? In satellite mode I can see where my house isn't! If I look right where my house is supposed to be, nothing's there, I'm sitting in a pile of dirt! (the satellite images are old enough that this my house is still a construction site)

DeepGreene
Loomis wrote:

You think that's scary? In satellite mode I can see where my house isn't! If I look right where my house is supposed to be, nothing's there, I'm sitting in a pile of dirt! (the satellite images are old enough that this my house is still a construction site)

:-)  Nice.  Our house pre-dates satellites...  :-\

artfizz
Loomis wrote:

DeepGreene wrote: :-)  Nice.  Our house pre-dates satellites...  :-\

Sounds like that just may be a post-apocalyptic image from the future, Loomis.

dec_lan

I remember facebook having an app like this, with a "friends circle", showing all the people you're friends with, and then lines between your friends who are also friends with each other. I'm sure you could copy them.

Loomis
artfizz wrote:
Loomis wrote:

DeepGreene wrote: :-)  Nice.  Our house pre-dates satellites...  :-\

Sounds like that just may be a post-apocalyptic image from the future, Loomis.

Wow, you dragged up a thread from 2 years ago for this joke?

theoreticalboy

There is no "2 years ago" for artfizz; all threads exist during the same moment in collapsed time.

ilikeflags

maps are great.  flags are better though.

artfizz
theoreticalboy wrote: There is no "2 years ago" for artfizz; all threads exist during the same moment in collapsed time.

While that's certainly true, a hattip to DeepGreene for the revival: trying-to-play-someone-from-every-country - see post #20.

(See also: im-king-of-the-world).

artfizz
Loomis wrote: Wow, you dragged up a thread from 2 years ago for this joke?

No - for its relevance to why-is-it-still-possible-for-people-to-find-us-on-the-interactive-map.