Forums

King & Queen vs. King

Sort:
AndyClifton

Well, I'm admittedly a bit unorthodox.  I use this:

(I don't catch a lot, but at least I get done real quick.)

couchpotatoe

Sealed

Bill_C

OK, let's say for the sake of argument that K,Q endings can be drawn with exact play. The following diagram will show the many drawing positions on the entire board for a K+Q vs. K

That being shown (and it is the same result no matter which corner the King is in) the burden of proving the win is on White. Now since White has to have been the last to move, there is no way that Black can claim exact play if White has the virtue of move and superior force. White draws this one and only position due to his own BLUNDER. Plain and simple, Black cannot force this situation under any cirucmstance. To illustrate, I will use the position from post #1 since that is where this discussion originates from. I also will show one of the many ways that White effects checkmate. If you can disprove this position, my hat is off to you and 15 years of studying endgames has been wasted by me.

Finally, the mate on exact play.
See the situation here? Black obtains the draw because White blunders the game in those first positions. Exact play means that each side plays the best moves possible to where the game takes its longest to play. Since White must err to draw here, this is not exact play. Therefore, the conclusion that K+Q vs. K are draws by exact play is erroneous and is refuted by the diagrams and games on the board.
Finally, there are only 8 material endgames that draw by exact play. Of the 8, 4 are pure draws 2 are conditional draws and the other 2 are winning ONLY by a blunder on one players part.
DRAWN ENDINGS
K VS K (Pure)
K+B VS K (Pure)
K+N VS K (Pure)
K+ 2N VS K (Pure)
K+R VS K+R (Winning ONLY if blunder)
K+Q VS K+Q (Winning ONLY if blunder)
K+ RP VS K (IF K IS IN FRONT OF PAWN)
K+ NP VS K (IF K REACHES 6TH RANK BEFORE SUPERIOR SIDE DOES)
OTHER POSSIBLE DRAWS
K+R,B VS K+R
K+R,N VS K+R
REMOTE DRAWING COMBINATIONS
K+R,N VS K+Q 
K+R,B VS K+Q
There are several other ones but after 5+ pieces on the board we leave the realm of endgame theory altogether.
For further study, I recommend the following books:
  • Winning Chess Endings by Yassir Seirawain
  • Chess Endings for the Practical Player by Ludek Pachmann

I sincerely hope this puts this issue in its proper perspective.

On a final note to the forum creator, it is bad form to post a game in progress asking for analysis and may even be a violation of the Fair Play Policy. My advice is post these games after the match is finished for analysis. Good luck in future games.

AndTheLittleOneSaid
vengence69 wrote:

OK, let's say for the sake of argument that K,Q endings can be drawn with exact play.

Sorted.

AndyClifton

ReasonableDoubt's contributions were a lot more fun.

RobertPaulson13

Haha i think this is hillarius cause you all take it for real its obviosly a joke....wow morons

HughMyron
Markle wrote:

anyone that can't win with K and Q vs. a lone K should probably give up chess for something else. Frankdawg is right  even if the player with the K is Kasparov the other side has a clear and easy win

Hehe, I actually forgot the K+Q v. K mating pattern once and stalemated.

Now, I just mate as if it were K+R v. K, since it's impossible to stale with that, and it's easier to understand Zugzwang and Opposition than it is to memorize K+Q mate patterns.

Justified08

************** ** ** *****!

AndyClifton

"overmoderation is no crime"?

Justified08

'ResonableDoubt is an idiot

ScarredEyes

Or is he? He has stimulated 5 pages of conversation on one smidge of a topic. The only thing that beats that is the daily puzzle, with it's daily intake of 3 pages of people saying "First!" and 10 more pages of "nice puzzle" or something to that effect...

Seeing as we are at an impasse, it's a draw Wink

Two interesting things are, though:

And this is a win:

ScarredEyes

Lol...That is what I said :) Although formatting with boards here is a little dodgy,since I've lost too many boards for some reason, so I minimised how much I edited my post. But yes, that's the won position. I once played a game, and thought I could salvage a draw with rook pawn + king vs king + queen. Now, after that game, I know there's only one relative position where this is possible - king on 8th and r-pawn on 7th ranks.

kalimbon

One question... I keep drawing games when the opponent's time runs out, and they have a king and a queen vs my sole king... why the heck is it a draw? is it because there was no chance i could win otherwise? then again, that's a stupid rule, it's not my fault they ran out of time and couldn't mate me.

Ben_Dubuque

If they run out of time and you don't have any way to checkmate it is a draw

callogician

pawnslayer: best strategy is to walk king to the 8th rank and hope he stalemates you