Forums

Where to move the queen?

Sort:
ClavierCavalier

If you were white, where would you move the queen?  I'm thinking Qd1 so the bishop can move, but Qd3 looks plausible since it means all of the queen moves prior were not a complete waste.  So the question is, how can white try to salvage this game?

If your curious as to the move order, this follows 1. e4 e5 2. d3 Nc6 3. a3 Nf6 4. h3 d5 5. Qe2 Nd4 6. Qd2.

Oops, forgot to add the diagram!

AndyClifton

Regardless of what he does, White's queen moves were still a complete waste of time. Wink  And Qd3 Bf5 looks like it could prove rather frightening.

eddysallin

there are no good Q. moves....e.g, nxp +, bf5 and nxf2 or Q.f6 after nxfp.

DrSpudnik

The real waste of time, Andy, is 2.d3. Queen moves here don't make a lot of sense. Such passive play as white in a double K-Pawn opening just about makes me Cry

ClavierCavalier

Surely there is some sort of a plan for white.  What harm is there with Qd1?  Maybe bring the bishop next, and Nf3.

DrSpudnik

Undeveloping the Queen to get it out of the way of the Bishops is not in itself a bad idea, but White is dithering around with moving pieces more than once and not really doing any threatening or aggressive moves. It's like a colors reversed game. 

ClavierCavalier

So it looks like things are not too bright for white.  Still, what does Qd1 followed by Bd3 accomplish and then Nf3?  How about Qd1 followed by c3 and then Nf3?  I was hoping white might be able to get some development out, althought sluggish.

This looks like another dangerous idea for black:

g3 followed by Nxg3 gives me the feeling black will win more material, so I assume Be3 is better.  I'm not sure, of course.  Either way, material should be even and white will have a terrible position.

Perhaps white is simply out of the game.

waffllemaster

"Perhaps white is simply out of the game"

A pawn down, black has the center and development.  Yes, white is technically losing.  No need to find anything special for black, his advantage isn't going anywhere.  Qh4 and Bg4 is aggressive, but Black's next two moves might as well be Be7 and 0-0, he'll still be winning comfortably.

ClavierCavalier
Bonesy1116 wrote:

As others have already said, you are wrecked here.  Those knights eat up way too much of your real estate.  My question is why h3 and a3?  Those moves are awful and just waste time allowing black to take a lead in development which leads to positions like these.

People keep thinking I was white.  I wasn't trying to take sides.  I was curious about the position and wondered if one can make a come back after several turns of complete passivity.  It arose in this game:

So, I was black.  I had no questions about 8. c3??, the previous passive play, or black's wonderful moves.  Alright, that last part is a bit conceited...  :-p  Any ways, I can't answer questions as to why white would ever play those passive moves.  I wouldn't play them.

I think I'm correct in that black gets a free queen since  taking the knight results in even  more material loss.

AndyClifton
DrSpudnik wrote:

The real waste of time, Andy, is 2.d3.

I used to play that against my computer to get it out of book.  Of course, that's where my similarity to the given game ended.

AndyClifton
ClavierCavalier wrote:
People keep thinking I was white.

Perhaps that's because you said, "I was hoping white might be able to get some development..."  Certainly a strange way for Black to be talking.

ponz111

I think  Qa4+ would be a good place for that queen.

Robbie960

how about this?

OldHastonian
ponz111 wrote:

I think  Qa4+ would be a good place for that queen.

I'm sure it would, if it were a legal move.Surprised

ClavierCavalier
hrobert5 wrote:

how about this?

Interesting idea, except that Qg5 is illegal since it's black's move.  Pretending that it's white's move, I still don't see the value, to be honest.  None of those black moves you made seem to make sense.I can think of a few moves that stops this attack.  Nxc2+ is a big one.

4. exd5 may not be best, but I'm just saying that black's pawn isn't hanging.  Well, actually, I guess the c-pawn is if the queen takes.  I think 4... O-O lets black castle safely and take back the pawn, though.

ClavierCavalier
AndyClifton wrote:
ClavierCavalier wrote:
People keep thinking I was white.

Perhaps that's because you said, "I was hoping white might be able to get some development..."  Certainly a strange way for Black to be talking.

True.

Robbie960

didn't catch that its blacks move..OP was "where should white move his queen"...

ClavierCavalier

It make sense.  One can easily assume such just by looking at the position quickly without going through the moves already present.  The question was about the end of the shown game, which continues with 1... dxe4 2. dxe4 Nxe4.  Got any ideas after that?