Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
gary5daniels

Yes, that is part of the way lower rated players move up to higher ratings.

magbro69
I started with 1000:-(
DragonWizard101

Just played in rating tournament and confuzled. HOW DO TIEBREAKER POINTS WORK?

gary5daniels

DW101,

I assume you mean "How are they calculated?" and not "How they are used?"; is that correct?

Martin_Stahl
DragonWizard101 wrote:

https://support.chess.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1444840-what-happens-when-there-is-a-tied-score-and-what-is-the-tie-break-

Chess360
DragonWizard101 wrote:

http://content.screencast.com/users/naomilanasa/folders/Jing/media/789a8171-4a99-43d3-8f3e-35ec9ecd455c/2015-01-09_0200.png

SmyslovFan

Tie breaks are determined by something called the Sonneborn-Berger system.

It's a bit complicated, but essentially it counts up the results of your opponents. The better your opponents did, the better the tie-breaks. In a round robin, the better your opponents that you beat did, the better for your tie breaks.

Here's a link to the wiki page which gives more complete details. Also, if you have the USCF rule book, there's a good explanation there too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonneborn–Berger_score

graysandwich
[COMMENT DELETED]
ThePEPSIChallenge
Hunadora wrote:
Ratings just really give you a idea of how strong of a players you are over a period of games,  But i think we have all have games where we played much weaker players and blew the game by not thinking as well as we should.

I've in the past decided to see how low I could make my rating for more than one reason and went to 800 and found out many have done that too, the more unorthodox kind of opponent and gained great experience, was extremely grateful I decided to because I became a stronger chess player.

I have played opponents that low rated and were if to be 1600 or higher ability. Sure, I might have showed 50 lost games recorded but that mattered not, especially when I again started playing the game, instead of 3rd move Queen check, with many wins. lol

universityofpawns
ThePEPSIChallenge wrote:
Hunadora wrote:
Ratings just really give you a idea of how strong of a players you are over a period of games,  But i think we have all have games where we played much weaker players and blew the game by not thinking as well as we should.

I've in the past decided to see how low I could make my rating for more than one reason and went to 800 and found out many have done that too, the more unorthodox kind of opponent and gained great experience, was extremely grateful I decided to because I became a stronger chess player.

I have played opponents that low rated and were if to be 1600 or higher ability. Sure, I might have showed 50 lost games recorded but that mattered not, especially when I again started playing the game, instead of 3rd move Queen check, with many wins. lol

making your rating intentionally low so you can win money in rated tournaments is called sandbagging and it is immoral...

ThePEPSIChallenge

lol as if I care to win $...

You think if I knew there was some lame@ idea as such I'd lol post as I had, yo?

Points have always been pointLESS to me and A L W A Y S will BE.

To 'me' points HAVE NOTHING TO DO with what Chess is.

I challenge you to find one tourney that I to do as you expressed.

ThePEPSIChallenge

Prime example how I've benefitted dropping my pointless rating, this game here and what a difference from games more orthodox'd, was a fun game! 

This is my good friend's

He gave me the advice to try it out, and haven't been unsatisfied for doing so.

https://www.chess.com/live/game/2142115244?username=216751

without upgrading I am not able to post the board format evidently.

bluejonz

1800 is a good rating

SmyslovFan
bluejonz wrote:

1800 is a good rating

Not to a player whose rating begins with a 2. 

"Good" is relative. 1800 is a reasonable lifetime goal for most amateurs. That would put them in the top 80%ile of all tnmt players iirc (I'd have to double check that).

But for the talented few, 1800 is a starting point. 

The one rating that works as "good" for everyone is 

200 points above your best.

If you're already +2700, then you know everyone who is better than you. But even then, engines will remind even the best humans how far away from perfection we are.

Martin_Stahl

When creating a new account you get to choose your skill level. One of those equates to 1800; but without any games to back that up, it is obvious it is just a default.

adavisi

I have played over 15,000 blitz games.  I don't believe my chess rating should change 200 points over a period of time, but it does.  I seem to go on streaks of winning for 2 months and my rating goes up, easily beating players 1200 to 1300.  Then I go on streaks of losing, losing to players 1100 to 1200 (and they beat me quite easily).  There seems to be a dramatic inconsistency in all of this.  Anybody else experience any of this?   

redcodyF
mznor wrote:

In playing my first game on Chess.com, I received a rating of 1200, before I played. Why, and how was that arrived at?

lfPatriotGames
adavisi wrote:

I have played over 15,000 blitz games.  I don't believe my chess rating should change 200 points over a period of time, but it does.  I seem to go on streaks of winning for 2 months and my rating goes up, easily beating players 1200 to 1300.  Then I go on streaks of losing, losing to players 1100 to 1200 (and they beat me quite easily).  There seems to be a dramatic inconsistency in all of this.  Anybody else experience any of this?   

Why dont you believe the rating should change 200 points? If you go on a streak of winning or losing, that seems like a perfectly  normal thing to happen. If the rating changed a thousand or so, then that might seem drastic, but only 200 seems pretty normal to me. I've lost many games to lower rated players, and so I expected my rating to drop. Instead of losing to low rated good players, and winning against higher rated poor players, you could just play people the same rating as you, and win/lose the same amount of games. Then your rating would not fluctuate as much.

redcodyF

This looks like the right place for me to whine a little bit about people who lose the game on time because they are about to be mated in two.  I get less points (whine).  Does this happen often?

Nathanhof
redcodyF wrote:

This looks like the right place for me to whine a little bit about people who lose the game on time because they are about to be mated in two.  I get less points (whine).  Does this happen often?

You don't get less points. Beforehand you get a set amount of points if you win, draw or lose (established when the game starts).