Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
DavidMertz1
jerrycrabill wrote:

Here is a problem as I see it.  One joins a site that starts him at 1200 - supposedly the average of all who start - at least that is what they say.  But,.............  you know you are around 1900 rating (when joining, there is no opportunity of informing admin that your rating is about 1900).  So,,,,,,, you begin your life on the new site by winning and winning and winnig (because they pair you with low ranked opponents).  OOPS, they send you a message that you are cheating and henceforth, big brother is watching - with the penalty being you get kicked off the site (and by the way, they keep ypur money).  therefore, one becomes paranloid about making that winning move (s) in other games thinking tht at any moment, the axe will fall.  Does not seem quite fait does it?

Jerry

I won my first 16 games on the site, bringing my rating to 1866, and wasn't accused of cheating.  It takes more than winning a few games to do that, and it has very little to do with the ratings system.

jerrycrabill

they must have changed the system since your beginning. The "speed/frequency by which games were won" was mentioned to me when I questioned the issue to one of the admin folks.  That is how the rating issue came into play. No matter, it is a good site and I've dropped a few games lately - that should make the powers feel better:):).  Now, if I could just improve my Live Chess perfprmance, all would be good:):)

JC

turtlebert

Totally! I agree 100% and add 10% more that makes 110%! Holy shi*! This is amazing! :D

Daniel55423

isnt queen worth 9 not 10?

jrgoy

i have differnet ratings in diffent games.i useually at around the 900 range but sometimes i am given a rateing of over 1000 witch is chess.com being nice. why? why do i have different ratings in my games?

oyyek

i dont know anything about rating...i just wanna play chess, it's fun

jerrycrabill

dogged if I know:):)

Daws74

You have a separate rating for each type of chess you play on the site.  So your regular online chess rating is separate from your Chess960 rating and your Live Bullet, Blitz and Standard ratings.

kshc027

Glicko ratings system is very interesting...

PJAJ4321

I really don't care much about my rating, though I like to see it go higher.Smile

PJAJ4321

I knew that

AndyClifton

I cared more about my rating when it was going up... Frown

blackrabbitto

I'm fairly new to this ... my rating is useful because it gives me an idea of whether I'm improving my game.

I seem to have become a victim of Hastings' Law ... no matter how many I win or lose I always return to 1066. Laughing

This might be due to the way I select whom to play against. It's currently set at -20 to +200. I can get +10 points for a good win and only lose a few if I lose. Playing better players is beneficial, of course.

CaptJackAubrey
travis1010 wrote:
So the reason Kasparov is better than me is because his rating is higher than mine?

Actually, the reason Kasparov is better than you is because he could beat your arse without even looking at the board! LOL!

Scottrf
joeschmo123 wrote:

ratings are garbage i keep my rating low to sneak attack higher ranked players, and when they lose it hurts there score even more. chess is a game of skillwith no luck involved before every game the board is equal so there is no pregame advantage other than if you get psyched out by the opponents score

Yeah if you ignore the fact that their rating is higher because they get better results in their chess games.

CaptJackAubrey
joeschmo123 wrote:

ratings are garbage i keep my rating low to sneak attack higher ranked players, and when they lose it hurts there score even more. chess is a game of skillwith no luck involved before every game the board is equal so there is no pregame advantage other than if you get psyched out by the opponents score

What a loser. People count on the rating system to keep them in a range of competitors in which they can be competitive. If you have any skill to speak of then why do you need "sneak attacks"? Why do you need to artificially represent your skill as being lower than it is? You're a liar.

ChazR

I regret to inform that you are all wrong.  There is a direct statistical correlation between ratings and anatomy.

Yamada1998Sone

Knight for me! I love it how I captured Queen when I checked the King lol <3 

ChazR

Apologies if I was irrelevant, hurtful, and mean.

verydead2

Maybe these questions are stupid but I dont care:

What is the approximate relation between chess.com rating and FIDE rating? 

What approximate chess.com rating should have a player with FIDE rating e.g. 1800?