Dgt Board and Dgt3000 computer

PapaGeorgie

Does anyone use these electronics?  If so, are they worth the considerable investment.

Also, how do you use them?

AlkinKing
It really all depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to give lessons, broadcast top games in tournaments or something of that nature, I’d say it’s absolutely worth it.
brother7

I own the DGT Smart Board and purchased the DGT Projects Enabled Electronic Chess Pieces - Reykjavik Series - 3.75" King separately from House of Staunton.

To be honest, I haven't used them yet. chess.com is beta testing DGT support right now. When DGT boards become officially supported, I plan to use mine to play slow time controls (90 30 and 45 45) in the Slow Chess League against other Dan Heisman Learning Center members.

mgx9600

I've owned the DGT bluetooth e-board for about 2 years now. It works well for recording OTB games; I've not used it for anything else.  It can also be hooked it up to Fritz for real-time game analysis.

The DGT e-board is really pretty nice; I've forgotten how nice it is.  I've been using my own e-boards for the past year or so; and only recently decided to setup the DGT e-board again.  The board is laminated wood over MDF wood (so it is much heavier than you'd expect), but the laminate is smooth and pieces slides easily. My son is pretty rough with chess pieces and likes to slam them on the board, on each other, and on the clock buttons; the DGT is still working. The main advantage of the DGT is real-time analysis via Fritz; my son never care to analyze his games so having the analysis right there helps.

If you buy one, be sure to get the bluetooth version as that version has a built-in battery; otherwise, you'll have to plug in your board.

Worth the money? That'll depend on you.

PapaGeorgie

Thanks for the info.

AlkinKing
If you are using it to be lazy and not record your games by hand and set up analysis the old way I’d say you’re doing yourself a disservice.
mgx9600
AlkinKing wrote:
If you are using it to be lazy and not record your games by hand and set up analysis the old way I’d say you’re doing yourself a disservice.

Why?

After playing on the e-board, you can download the PGN (and analyze anyway you want), which is a lot more accurate than any hand notation. Also, most people don't notate every single game (e.g. casual games), and sometimes interesting positions happen. With the DGT (or any) e-board, you'll always have the PGN.

In fact, you are doing yourself a disservice by not playing on an e-board whenever possible.

chessroboto

If you've ever had the pleasure of getting coached using the traditional over-the-board style, you can easily see the value of studying on your own using the DGT while connected to a chess analysis engine/software such as Fat Fritz.

Warbler

Don't the pros use DGT boards and sets?

chessroboto

Used in major tournaments as well. Have you seen the DGT Revelation II? Used by enthusiasts.