Forums

Draws

Sort:
Daniel3

How come when I offer a draw it says I have a pending draw offer but it also says it's still my move? How do you offer a draw?

Scarblac

Exactly how you did it.

After you offered a draw, it's still your move. Your opponent can think about your offer until he completes his next move.

Daniel3

So I have to offer draws on my opponent's turn?

rooperi

You should only offer a draw after making your move and starting the opponent's clock.

einstein_69101

You can offer the draw but if it is your turn then you still have to make a move since your opponent may decide to decline the offer.  :)  If offering a draw counts as a move then it can be easy for people to delay games when they have a lost position.  :)

artfizz
Daniel3 wrote: How come when I offer a draw it says I have a pending draw offer but it also says it's still my move? How do you offer a draw?

According to the letter of the (FIDE) law, you have to make your move before your opponent needs to consider your draw offer. It used to be the case on chess.com that your draw offer was not sent UNTIL you had committed your move. The functionality was changed recently (http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/offering-a-draw-on-chesscom) so that the draw offer gets sent immediately you make it. The message "you have a pending draw offer" is to remind you that you have offered a draw.

Daniel3

Ok, thanks guys! I fixed the problem.

Scarblac
rooperi wrote:

You should only offer a draw after making your move and starting the opponent's clock.

In OTB chess, you must make the draw offer after making your move, but _before_ starting the opponent's clock.