Forums

how to improve?

Sort:
Sea_TurtIe

ive been dropping in quality over the past month tremendously i  hesitated on asking this question because the chess.com community are like poisonous vipers, but im going to give it a try

how do i improve past my level? ive been thinking its because i get bored and drop in quality strait out of the opening, or i just dont see tactics well anymore, or theres some other problem

if youre going to comment something bad solely to troll and harass me you should not comment 

beaverchess45
I might be able to help you. I have a list of recommendations. 1. Analyze your games that you lose, and at the bottom, it will show you lessons and puzzles that could help you improve. Do those lessons and puzzles. 2. Spend a lot of time thinking about chess (this never has to be on your computer) and read chess books that involve tactics and other helpful things. 3. Find your strengths and weaknesses (openings, endgames, forks, skewers, reading the board, etc.) and once you find them, do lessons and puzzles that involve them. 4. Play bots a little above your rating. Playing bots way too low, and way too high, won’t help you with anything because your “fooling around”. If you play bots a little better than you, you can become as good as them, and you can study the moves they make so you can play like them. 5. Don’t feel stressed out or anything like that when you’re playing chess. It can decrease your focus, and always remember that chess is for fun. These recommendations are what I think you should do to improve your rating. If you’ve already done this, I can’t help you. Please get back to me.
Sea_TurtIe

thank you

MaetsNori

Looking at your past few losses, I see two apparent issues:

1) Tactics. You're missing short-term tactics. I recommend doing some Puzzle Rush Survival, every day, and trying to get as high as you can. Focus less on speed and more on trying to see the solution, all the way through, before you attempt the first move for each solution. Really work your brain with these puzzles, and try not to rely on intuition at all.

2) Not considering your opponent's best plans. Sometimes it looks like you're trying to find good moves for yourself ... without fully considering the good moves that your opponent has at his disposal.

When I'm pondering my move, one of the first things I consider is: "What is my opponent's strongest plan here?" Then I start to consider their candidate moves. Not my candidate moves ... but theirs.

What's their best-placed piece? Their worst? Any immediate tactics to worry about? Any potential tactics that might arise in the next few moves? This kind of thinking can often help you find your own candidate moves.

If time allows, don't make a move until you've considered all of your opponent's strongest possible responses. Your goal should be: to never be surprised by a move. This doesn't mean you'll become invulnerable - sometimes moves that you expected will have more venom in them than you initially thought. But these moves should never come as a surprise to you. Especially if they're simple one-move tactics.

Hope any of that helps.

Sea_TurtIe

wow, why has nobody ever said that to me

thanks alot

i never knew to do that, when i asked they would never mention that, now that i know i can probally actually improve now

Sea_TurtIe
IronSteam1 wrote:

Looking at your past few losses, I see two apparent issues:

1) Tactics. You're missing short-term tactics. I recommend doing some Puzzle Rush Survival, every day, and trying to get as high as you can. Focus less on speed and more on trying to see the solution, all the way through, before you attempt the first move for each solution. Really work your brain with these puzzles, and try not to rely on intuition at all.

2) Not considering your opponent's best plans. Sometimes it looks like you're trying to find good moves for yourself ... without fully considering the good moves that your opponent has at his disposal.

When I'm pondering my move, one of the first things I consider is: "What is my opponent's strongest plan here?" Then I start to consider their candidate moves. Not my candidate moves ... but theirs.

What's their best-placed piece? Their worst? Any immediate tactics to worry about? Any potential tactics that might arise in the next few moves? This kind of thinking can often help you find your own candidate moves.

If time allows, don't make a move until you've considered all of your opponent's strongest possible responses. Your goal should be: to never be surprised by a move. This doesn't mean you'll become invulnerable - sometimes moves that you expected will have more venom in them than you initially thought. But these moves should never come as a surprise to you. Especially if they're simple one-move tactics.

Hope any of that helps.

in chess games, usually i cant think for very long every move or else my time completely drops

and if i try anything more than 10|0 it will be filled with cheaters (ive tried going for longer and everyone just plays 95% accuracy or more

MaetsNori

The thinking process should come quicker and easier with time and experience.

The key is to start training yourself to look harder at your opponent's potential plans. Considering your opponent's possible ideas is one way to help you better find your own - and also a way to help minimize blunders. thumbup

Sea_TurtIe
IronSteam1 wrote:

The thinking process should come quicker and easier with time and experience.

The key is to start training yourself to look harder at your opponent's potential plans. Considering your opponent's possible ideas is one way to help you better find your own - and also a way to help minimize blunders.

if i have a person who just plays discusting, bad pricipled, messy chess (like the game below) what should i do?

Sea_TurtIe

sometimes i win agianst these people, sometimes i dont

Chuck639
Sea_TurtIe wrote:

You can’t win them all.

I would just accept that reality and play on.

Sea_TurtIe
Chuck639 wrote:
Sea_TurtIe wrote:

You can’t win them all.

how do you play agianst these people, who endlessly move their queen around the threaten M1 and dont develop any pieces untill their queen has been kicked around so much that theres nothing left for their queen to do?

Chuck639
Sea_TurtIe wrote:
Chuck639 wrote:
Sea_TurtIe wrote:

You can’t win them all.

how do you play agianst these people, who endlessly move their queen around the threaten M1 and dont develop any pieces untill their queen has been kicked around so much that theres nothing left for their queen to do?

Enjoy the lead in development.

Could be worse, can be playing a London or Alapin Game.

eric0022
Sea_TurtIe wrote:

You have to realise that having superior knowledge and position does not equate to an "automatic win".

You cannot expect a player who follows standard principles more than his opponent to "always win".

This only allows a player to gain an upper advantage over the other.

Sea_TurtIe

yeah, i was shooting up to 2000 but then i got lazy and in the end my skill dropped and i got mad and tilted so i droped to 1700

ChessMasteryOfficial

I can teach you EXACTLY how to think during the game (opening, middlegame and endgame). Your chess understanding will never be the same and you will improve a lot. I charge €35/h, but if you can’t afford too many lessons, don’t worry. I can teach you a lot in an hour. Here to help if you are interested.

If you want to study by yourself, read ‘Logical Chess’. It is really instructive book. You have it on youtube as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eTB7oHeRgM&list=PLUrgfsyInqNa1S4i8DsGJwzx1Uhn2AqlT