Forums

How to Offer a Draw if Playing OTB

Sort:
bobbyDK
shepi13 wrote:
happyfanatic wrote:
AdvLegitimate wrote:

If you offer a draw then decide you dont want it, just say 'actually ive decided to play on' when they put their hand out for the draw.

No as was already mentioned earlier, a draw offer cannot be rescinded and stands until your opponent agrees,refuses, or makes a move(which is a form of refusal).

I know a funny story about this - a GM offered a draw from a position where he had a winning tactic. Then he saw the tactic and played it. His opponent immediately resigned, forgetting that he could accept the draw offer.

Another story - I told this to my coach, an FM. He said that he's done the same thing - he actually resigned from a stalemated position once.

One question- In one of my games I offered my opponent a draw and he touched a piece. Anywhere he moved it he lost, so he accepted the draw. Even though he never completed his move, can he accept the offer after touching a piece? I'm not sure.

if he touched a piece he has to move the piece and he has therefore declined the draw.

bobbyDK
AnnaZafi wrote:

so wait, you cant offer draw at any time,

that is why a draw offer before the game is illegal. you have to make a move and then offer draw.

AnnaZC
bobbyDK wrote:
AnnaZafi wrote:

that is why a draw offer before the game is illegal. you have to make a move and then offer draw.

I have my doubts on this being illegal

woton
AnnaZafi wrote:
bobbyDK wrote:
AnnaZafi wrote:

This would probably be considered a prearranged draw and would be a violation of the rule concerning the conduct of players (FIDE 12.1 and USCF 20A)

blake78613

Do not offer your hand, that could be interpreted as a resignation.

bobbyDK
AnnaZafi wrote:
bobbyDK wrote:
AnnaZafi wrote:

in 1978 two players in denmark decided to agree to a draw on the phone instead of playing, this was ruled for forbidden as both players still could win the tournament. the tournament leader should NOT allow this.
this is a ruling by danish chess union. of course all who have played otb chess knows that even tournament leader makes draw offers over the phone. so that is another reason why I am no longer playing otb.

bobbyDK
paulgottlieb wrote:

You're not playing OTB because of the remote possibility that two other players could theoretically agree to a draw by phone? That's the silliest reason I've ever heard! Playing online you never know if you are playing the person you think you're playing. You can never even be sure that you're playing a human! And yet the fact that in 1978, two Danish players agreed to a draw has caused you to retire from OTB chess. Amazing!

no the fact that they did it in 1978 but that a lot of players are not playing to win in every game. why waste my time to play up to 4 hours being totally quiet for 7 games.28 hours. and yet some just play for a draw. if people are not all in - giving all they got in each game - I am just wasting my time. 

zborg
bobbyDK wrote:
paulgottlieb wrote:

You're not playing OTB because of the remote possibility that two other players could theoretically agree to a draw by phone?

no the fact that they did it in 1978 but that a lot of players are not playing to win in every game. why waste my time to play up to 4 hours being totally quiet for 7 games.28 hours. and yet some just play for a draw. if people are not all in - giving all they got in each game - I am just wasting my time. 

Whatever you are putting in your Kool-Aid.  You really need to stop.  Typing, that is, not playing chess.  Your decision to stop OTB, especially your "reasoning" behind it, is breathtakingly weird.  Yikes. 

bobbyDK
zborg wrote:
bobbyDK wrote:
paulgottlieb wrote:

You're not playing OTB because of the remote possibility that two other players could theoretically agree to a draw by phone? That's the silliest reason I've ever heard! Playing online you never know if you are playing the person you think you're playing. You can never even be sure that you're playing a human! And yet the fact that in 1978, two Danish players agreed to a draw has caused you to retire from OTB chess. Amazing!

Whatever you are putting in your Kool-Aid.  You really need to stop.

you are right and that is what I did.

blake78613
cookiemonster161140 wrote:

Speaking strictly of agreed draws...

OTB you are required to verbalize the draw offer.

Simply offering to shake hands has frequently been interpreted as you resigning.

The proper time to make this offer is immediately after you make your move and hit the clock. You cannot withdraw the offer until your opponent moves.

If after your offer, your opponent touches a piece with the intent to move it that´s the same as declining the draw and he is required to move. If he bumps a piece incidentally, touch move doesn´t apply same as at any other point in the game.

But my question for shepi13 is why would you offer a draw when every one of your opponents moves loses...I am confused.

Not everyone of his opponent's moves lost, but every move his opponent could make with the piece he touched (after the draw offer) lost.

madhacker

If your opponent offers a draw on his own move, don't ask him to make his move, just say nothing. He'll wait in vain for an answer whilst his clock runs down.... Innocent

piphilologist
ChessisGood wrote:

1. Write your move.

2. Make your move.

3. Say, "I offer a draw"

4. Hit the clock

Actually the FIDE rules changed about 7 years ago. It is forbidden to write the move before playing it, as this counts as taking notes.

shepi13

Not every one of my opponents moves lost, only every move with that piece did. He touched his queen and it only had one safe square from which it could defend his knight, the one it was on.

helltank

1)"Draw?"

2)"You want a draw?"

3)"I offer a draw."

--

1)"I decline."

2)"Nah."

3)"No thanks."

--

1)"Okay."

2)*shakes hand*

3)"I accept." 

TheOldReb
Shadowknight911 wrote:

the thing to remember is that of course you make the draw offer on your move, but the draw offer is binding regardless of whether you offered before your move or after your move.  Only if the opponent plays a move is then the draw offer withdrawn.  Same as online.

This is important to know because 2 months ago, I screwed up a draw offer in an OTB game against IM DeGuzman.  To be honest I was so thrilled to be in a drawn position going into the endgame with someone 500 points above me that I must have offered a draw about 4 times.  Well, on my last draw offer, I then made the move and then realized that after a certain number of moves he would be forced to give up his knight to stop my passed pawn and I would have a very favorable endgame.  But by then it was too late for me to withdraw the offer, even though I tried to.  IM DeGuzman accepted the offer.  Oh well...

Did you spell his name correctly ?  I cant find him on fide.com nor on uschess.org .    ?? 

rigamagician

At Moscow International in 1981, then-world champion Anatoly Karpov was playing against the 17-year-old Garry Kasparov already world #2 I believe.  After 20-odd moves of rather quiet play, Kasparov played his move, offered a draw, and pressed his clock.  Karpov immediately played his next move, tacitly declining the draw, but then said "Make a move" as if Kasparov had offered the draw after and not before Karpov moved.  Kasparov was a bit surprised, but anyway, he made his move.  Karpov then accepted the draw a turn late.  Kasparov later remarked that this is against the rules.  It might have been gamesmanship on Karpov's part, but more likely it was just the stress of the occasion.

ChessOfMalice0

The best way to draw is to make the same move over and over and if the other player catches on and decides he wants to draw he can make his same move over and over and after three repetitions the game is over and you shake hands.