Forums

I just started playing this year at the age of 30, is it too late to get good?

Sort:
sinnuz

I am 29 ...I was very upset about my age ...I have decided to beat odds and to improve .

There are 2 ways to improve after 30s  .

1 If you have lot of money and your life is set - You just need a great coach and just follow him blindless . Achieving  GM will not a issues .

2 If you don't have money and life is not set - For GM You need to met rear condition ...you have to become great coach  you're Self  , Like in game you don't play for win , just play for Good moves and stopping opponents activities ...and let win follow you .

same If you want to become GM, then don't aim for GM ... Just Aim for building strong foundation and Coach yourself  like hell best . 

Sred

@potentexd: Of course you won't become a GM. It depends what you consider "good" and it also depends on your individual talent.

azbobcat
Potentexd wrote:

I am starting chess seriously at the age of 30. I learned chess "the basics" at 10 years old. I am captivated by the game. It is going to be hard for me since I work as a nurse, I am studying my masters and I am a full-time dad. My plan is to study 2-3 book theory openings for each color, play tactics and a lot of endgames for the next year and a half. Once I am done with my masters I will dedicate 15-20 hours a week to the training I just want to see how far I can get in ELO rating, maybe one day I ll achieve a title. I want to visit STLMO chess club I'm learning with Akobian online with his YT videos so I will plan a vacation to go and meet the club.

????

Before doing anything else may I suggest that you invest in seeing an excellent psychotherapist: 1) You say you are a Full Time dad 2) You say you are working on you Masters in Nursing 3) You say once you get your MASTERS DEGREE you then plan to spend investing 15 - 20 hours a week -- the equivalent of a full part time job -- to pursue a worthless -- relatively speaking -- chess title which is definitely a road to poverty.

Here is the likely outcome while you are pursuing this "title" fantasy:  1) Your child is going to be neglected 2) Instead of putting your Masters Degree to good use and making a good living, it will it will gather dust and unused, making it a lot of wasted time you could have spent with your child. What do you think a "chess title" will do for you?!? Don't expect that it will lead to a decent living, it will not, but will lead you into poverty.

Truthfully you need to GROW UP -- Life is about setting PRIORITIES: Your Child should be your FIRST PRIORITY  and for providing a quality life for them, that means EARNING A LIVING that pays REAL MONEY. Once you get your Masters Degree invest your extra time into your child not on a GAME.

IF the game of CHESS should have taught you anything at all, sometimes it is necessary to make SACRIFICES to get to a favorable outcome, and yes I speak from EXPERIENCE: I joined the USCF at the age of 18, while I was in Germany during the the Viet Nam era and the Cold War. When I got out I put aside Chess to earn my B.A. in Marine and Environmental Science. I picked the game back up in my spare time after I finished that degree. I achieved a USCF Rating of 1664. After a few years I put chess aside again to pursue my M.Sc. in Environmental Science and Microbiology, but my next job was a Laboratory Research Director and I spent 16 hour days in a lab, and what little time I had I worked in theatre -- both on the tech side and as an actor. I squeezed in a few skittles games of chess every now and then. After almost 8 years I was persuaded I needed to pursue my Ph.D. as I was conducting Ph.D. quality research... holding only a M.Sc. that allowed another person to take credit for research they did not do, did have a clue about the work, or was even be able to explain it. I was 41 years old. The day of of Dissertation Defense came two days short of 3 years in a program of study in Water Resource Management with a minor Microbiology and Immunology where the average time was the 5-1/2 years. I was 44 years old. Two months before I received the degree I got diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease effectively ending a 30 year career.

My checkerboard career came at a great cost: I never married. There is NO ONE who can call for help if I have a Seizure at the wrong place at the wrong time, or help me should I Fall, or any of a number of other disasters I am prone to. I am entirely responsible for myself -- there is no safety net. The upside is my Time is MY OWN, which is NOT a luxury you have. Your CHILD MUST be your FIRST PRIORITY. Trust me, the time you spend with them is infinitely more rewarding than any Chess Rating -- a NUMBER -- or a "Title" -- whoopy doo you mat achieve. 

In 2005 at the age of 53 I returned to my first love, chess. Surprisingly even after 25 years, after knocking off some rust, I had not lost my skills, but my medical conditions (I'm also an Epileptic) precluded tournament games, though I made a serious effort at a comeback by entering into a series of unrated matches -- out of 4 tournaments I finished 1st or tied for 1st in 3, and 2nd in the 4th.

Today I play a lot of skittle games with a fast time control  (G/45) simply for the love of the game. I "coach" usually older adults usually for a cup of coffee and a pastry. Any one who sees my 1664  Class B rating may not be impressed, until that is they play me, because I play much much stronger than my rating, as I routinely take down Class A players.  

Today I am 68 and having been involuntarily "retired" at the age of 48 ( I use to work with deadly pathogens  which does not mix with Parkinson's ). But I am still respected as a SCIENTIST by my peers, and people are still sent my way because of my unique background in water, and waterborne diseases. For "FUN" I track new and emerging diseases around the world, I was well aware of the emergence of what has become known as CoViD19 (aka SARS-CoV-2) when it was still known as the the Wuhan Corona Virus.

Stop wasting your time in pursuit of your Great White Whale; now is the time to invest in your CAREER, and providing for and raising your child. Trust me, times flies and all to soon they will have grown up and moved away -- it is time that will NEVER be recovered, so enjoy it while it lasts. Chess will still be there waiting for your return. If in your older years you achieve a Class C or Class B rating you will know it will have been hard won, just don't let chess divert your attention from the splendid banquet that Life spreads before you -- that would be a colossal waste and an affront to the host.   

Sawbonez

Also for anyone that stumbles across this thread... I haven't yet found a group specifically for adults that are working on improving their chess skills.  So I threw one together.  

If you are interested and would like to help group this group, come check us out.  We are a friendly group of adults who have discovered (or rediscovered) chess and are actively working towards improving our skills.  We are a supportive community of adult chess players who share resources, tips, tricks, and anything related to chess improvement!  

The link ---> The Vintage Patzers

33yadavallsiddhart

33yadavallsiddhart

ui3232yt3y24yt43yt4hfkdl;oir

33yadavallsiddhart

118180229 5555555555555 is a way to make a good one more hours than 

2 is our morning meeting a lot less people in this world 🌍 was the best day to be a good friend to the one you got in the morning I had 

You can not be happy with you I don’t know 🤔 is that time of the year for last time I had no idea how you are and how much I was thinking 🤔 was the day we had a good time to go to the movies with you guys I don’t like to say I have been to the meeting for last night to be sure to take a shower or something like that I don’t like to be able 

The only way I can look 👀 in my mind today and the 

33yadavallsiddhart

I had to get the girls and I don’t like to say anything to other people who have been the best and I had no clue what you were doing when we were in a room with you guys I love 💕 you like to join the club and the board to get it for all those things I don’t know about that I don’t care 🤷‍♂️ is our last day in our room and the other room is the only one ☝️ I was in my room for a while I had no problems with the other two people are the one ☝️ I love 💕 you have a lot more to make for you and you do the same thing and you have been in the process and I have to go to work and have a great time at work for a while but it is still a great 👍 than the other half is going on in a few days I think 🤔 is our first time to be happy and to be happy and to be the first to be a good customer customer care provider and the customers who support their customers to customers in the store and I don’t know 🤷‍♀️ is our last day for the day I have to be at my meeting at one or both in my face is a little bit of fun and the way I feel as if it were the best way I 

You can not be a girl but 

You can not be the best I don’t know what to do I think I can get a good deal of the things that you do 

KAVJ

Our ancestors are not online, may they come back for more help (kidding)

age doesn't matter, FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS and practice! make some time for yourself

KAVJ

@Sinnuz u know what, u don't need a coach, me and my friend improved without a coach, 

just learn how to move and what are they called, rest u can learn from yourself 

u don't need a coach, u need yourself 

Laskersnephew
platolag wrote:

What is age? What the mind can conceive the body can achieve! 

Try jumping off a building and flapping your arms real hard! See if your mind can achieve flight

openinggamemaster

its never late  to follow ur dreams i heard tis quote somwhere

Dashone

I just started a year ago and I am 33 now. I am 1300 in rapid and 1200 in blitz. My reason for starting chess is that I am quitting DotA and other games. I only want a game that will get me through my old age and that I hope Chess will get me through. I don't want to be competitive like a GM but I just want to be relevant when visiting friends like achieving 1600-1800 elo. I hope in my 50s-70s I will have something that I can share with my kids. My advice at least to get to 1300 is to start with what your style of play is and learn the chess principles like fight for the center, develop your pieces quickly, safety of the king, if you take a piece ask yourself are you improving your position or are you helping your opponent improve theirs?, Calculate forcing moves first in this order: Checks, captures and attacks. Then, ask yourself, do you feel pleased if you are tactical (attacker) or positional (putting your pieces into better squares while limiting your opponents')? So if you like to attack and demolish your opponent as well as yourself (sometimes), try gambits like Evan's gambit, Scotch and Viena as white while Sicilian or dutch defense as black. If you are positional, try the Queen's gambit (not actually a gambit), London opening, and English opening as white while French defense, Carro Kann, and Sicilian as black. Learn the first 10 moves and punish other players if they make a slightly weaker move. At the grand master level, they mostly play Sicilian, Italian opening, Ruy Lopez, Carro Kann, English opening and London and anything you are not familiar with because they prepare on your weakest opening. So if you want to get above 1300, you will have to learn about these openings. When you find that you cannot beat your opponents anymore despite having a 10-move preparation, you now have to practice end-game mating patterns for a queen, 2 rooks, 1 rook, 2 bishops, etc. Then you have to practice on middle game concepts, according to your opening of choice, then improve your opening preparation up to 20 moves. The practice on thematic mating patterns. Start on the time control that you are comfortable with. Then improve on your time without compromising game quality by playing rapid or blitz.

TLDR: to learn fast in chess, learn your play style, learn chess principles, learn a few openings you like, learn end-game mating patterns, learn the middle game concepts (putting rook on open file, doubling rooks on open file), learn more about your opening (attacking concepts/defensive concepts), learn thematic mating concepts. Then learn bits and pieces of other openings especially what the grand masters or super GMs use. Chess is fun if you win but sad if you lose but if you just focus on playing a beautiful game of Chess, you will have fun whether you win, lose or draw the game.