Forums

Improving Positional Play at 1400

Sort:
RebelPrince86
2Late4Work wrote:

I mainly play on Lichess, but for the last month or so I have been testing out Knf3 as the first move. And after black respond I will decide if I will follow up with c4, d4 and etc. I feel the positions is WAAAAY more easy to shape to my taste/benefit. It will be more positional and more easy to shape the game to either kingsside, queenside, centerplay and etc. But it's not easy to play in blitz as a downside.

I like that approach. Another good idea.

najdorf96

Indeed. "Positional" Chess to me, is just common sense chess once you have attained that level of awareness through experience. Unlike tactical awareness, strategic principles are always present: pawn structure, King safety, minority vs majority, color dominance, line play (rank & file), long diags, center control, blocked positions, prophylactic tendencies etc. Experience & books help with this, personally-the caveat is of course if and when you become self•aware of this~either early on or later in life. As said before, common sense. You're always developing your own positional sense unconsciously or through osmosis. Recognizing that you need to improve in this area means you are on the precipice of becoming self•aware but I guarantee you it will take time to hone. Unlike endgame compositions or tactics trainers where the effect maybe immediate. Certain openings can and do promote learning basic concepts but like I mentioned; experience (playin's the thing) and some helpful books and the attitude to playing chess the "right" way; common sense chess takes time. Best wishes✌🏽

st0ckfish
RebelPrince86 wrote:

At my level, players still blunder quite a bit, and I can play to my feel for the game without thinking too much about it. That said, I'd like to add to my toolbox and develop a positional game through experience. I exclusively play the Italian Game as white and wonder if I should add a new opening (the london system, Ruy Lopez, etc.) and/or spend my time in games looking at strategic pawn breaks, targeting weak pawns, etc. What do you think would be most helpful? All comments appreciated.

Can't relate to anything.........but the blundering bit (Strategy -- never heard of it!)