Forums

Just hit 2100 on Rapid. Want to share a few tips

Sort:
ChrisZifo

I am sure there are many players on here for who 2100 is not an impressive rating, so feel free to have a little chuckle at me, but 10+ years and probably 20K games has been a LONG battle on here. I doubt I will get much higher than this, and my level will probably drop down.

So I want to share a few tips and insights from someone who has played a LOT of games on this site.

1. Learn a few key tactical and positional concepts: Learn some key ideas like the difference between an open / closed board, the idea of weak black/white squares, the idea of good/bad bishops, the idea of knight outposts. Pawn ideas: how to attack an isolated pawn, how to get a passed pawn, how to do a minority attack, how to storm pawns at the enemy king. King safety: how to stop an opponent from castling, how to attack their king early, what to do if they castle long, how to attack a king with a fiancetto defense.

There are also a few key tactical tricks that get used over and over again, like the Greek Gift, Fishing pole, Poison Pawn, Rooks on the 7th, etc.

2. Always do the after game analysis, if you want to get better. Look for the FIRST move where you were inaccurate and try to improve your opening. Look at the situation where the game was even and you became too aggressive or too passive.

3. Dont rematch instantly if you want to improve your Rapid/Blitz rating. The main reason not to rematch is because of point 2: you should do your after game analysis, so you can understand your opening better and understand exactly WHY you won or lost. Also, if you go into a 2nd game instantly, you will be more mentally tired and your opponent will be more motivated.

4.Build an opening repertoire if you want to do well on the rapid time control. (It can help on Blitz too, but not quite as much). Check out a Youtuber called "Miodrag Perunovic" to improve your openings. He is a pro coach and tells you WHY the main lines are what they are. That is a massive part of learning openings, knowing the "why" . The other you-tuber I highly recommend is the GM Daniel Naroditsky- he explains the process of choosing the "best" moves better than anyone.

This kind of stuff takes time but it really does make the game more enjoyable if you have learned how to get an edge at the very start. Once you have a small advantage at the very beginning, the other parts of the game usually become easier.

5. Decide if you want to be an aggressive player (gambits, fast development) or a more defensive player (never give away a pawn, be more patient and positional). In faster time controls, you can get a lot of success being aggressive, but you need to realise that there is also a greater chance of losing fast, and you need to look at all the tactical pros and cons.

6. Try the chess.com lessons. (no I am not working for this site, haha). These are great for players in the 800-1600 range, and plenty of good lessons for the 1600-2000 level as well. Good for all the basic endgame strategies and mating patterns. Having a good endgame or spotting checkmates definitely increases your rating by a few hundred points. Chessable is pretty good as well, but you have to pay for some of that.

7. Dont get angry about so called "unfair players". The VAST majority on here do indeed play fair. Chess.com also tend to be very good at refunding you your ratings points when it does happen.

Also, if post game analysis says your opponent was 90% or 95% it doesn't mean they were up to no good. It will often mean you played a terrible blunder or bad opening mistake, and following that they got their 90% because the best moves became obvious. One small error often leads to another bigger one.

Or, it could be that they learned a main line or a trap and you were just unlucky. This kind of stuff evens out.

My rule: Only when I play 40+ moves and the opponent is at 97-99% accuracy, is it time to press the "report" button.

If you believe that other players are using unfair methods, it will actually affect you mentally and make you believe you are more likely to lose. It can also prevent you from looking at your own game and where you are making errors.

8. (final tip). Be a good sportsman (or woman). If an opponent clearly does a mouse slip, give them a draw or let them have a piece back. If they play well and win, congratulate them. Personally, I like to talk about a game after I have played, but many people on here dont.

If you play as many games as I have, it just feels better to play with honor. There are a few bad apples on here, and there are plenty of people who are good people but just lose their temper. Better to try and spread positive energy.

Thanks for reading all this , please post your own tips and enjoy your chess!

King_Devzev

tnx bro but i dont agree with the last bit cuz i lost alot of games from missclicks so im getting "payed back " 4 themhappy

King_Devzev

1st thing a beginner should learn is who to checkmate with king and [queen/rook]

Los_Tenyos_Pica

What ?(not to #1 but the reply?

ChessMasteryOfficial

Good job and nice tips! happy.png