Forums

Men VS Women!

Sort:
Conflagration_Planet
zborg wrote:

@Planet, bacteria are many, many, times smaller than your body's cells, and most of them are in your gut.  That's the chief reason they "outnumber" your cells.

But bacteria are definitely the dominate biological mass on this planet, even more so than cockroaches and termites.  

I know this, and the point was already made. :)

zborg

Just saw your Blue Edits now.  I got it.

You're typing faster than I can read.  Laughing

Conflagration_Planet
zborg wrote:

Just saw you Blue Edits now.  I got it.  

Tks.

netzach
joeydvivre wrote:

@Lebna - What's the deal with chess in Somalia?  In fact, what's the deal with anything in Somalia?  Frankly, I've been thinking we need to go bomb the Somali pirates into oblivion because there is no civilization in Somalia but then I see that there is a guy from Somalia with an Internet connection and a decent ability to play chess and I am confused.  Is there Internet in Somalia?  Are you in Somalia?  Are you a pirate?

Strewth joeydvivre  what a terrible comment !

Your very grouchy (picking fights etc) maybe should get some alcohol ?

zborg
joeydvivre wrote:

@Lebna - What's the deal with chess in Somalia?  In fact, what's the deal with anything in Somalia?  Frankly, I've been thinking we need to go bomb the Somali pirates into oblivion because there is no civilization in Somalia but then I see that there is a guy from Somalia with an Internet connection and a decent ability to play chess and I am confused.  Is there Internet in Somalia?  Are you in Somalia?  Are you a pirate?

Surely you are joking, Mr. Feynman.  Laughing

A Somalian, Internet Pirate?  Probably hacking into the Pentagon?

netzach

But those days (reds under the beds & paranoia) ancient-history & belong in 60's. Wouldn't wish to revive it surely ?

netzach

wdaly

It is purely a matter of numbers. If there were something close to the number of women players as men, there wouldn't need to be special rankings to honor the best women masters. Look at duplicate bridge as an example. The best women bridge players are equal (or better)compared to the best men because bridge is as popular with women as with men.

netzach
joeydvivre wrote:

Don't give me this nonsense.  We sent good people there to feed hungry starving people and they got killed for it.  We were trying to give those people not so much as a good life, but at least a life.  Now Somalia has droped out of the world.  I'd like to know what's going on there.  

If you think that responding like that is the way back into the world, that is very sad for your country.  The rest of the world wants to welcome you back into the fold, but there is a process like, for example, keeping out of the news as a country supported only by piracy and harboring Al Quaeda leaders necessitating predator strikes.

You are way out of order here (yet do not think are uneducated person so cannot explain ?)

Perhaps for some reason you try to provoke locking this thread by nature of your posts ??

Self-righteous behavior is dangerous-ground & whilst I could respond to you I will not as '' politics '' is deemed innapropriate in these forums.

atarw

Some are good, but generally, men are better. Just look at the rating lists.

Kingpatzer
DaBigOne wrote:

Some are good, but generally, men are better. Just look at the rating lists.

DaBigOne people have, and if you look at the number of men versus the number of women players, the outliers (those at the far end of the performance spectrum) are explained almost entirely by the simple disparity of numbers. Plenty of people who don't understand statistics think the rating list proves men are better. But it doesn't.

netzach
joeydvivre wrote:

I want to know about chess in Somalia and I am out of order?  What the heck is that about?  I asked a simple question and got multiple retorts filled with insults and I am out of order?  Say what?

I was surprised but happy to see someone here from Somalia.  If someone had asked me if there was interent serviec anywhere in the country I would have said no.  Is there a finctioning telephone company in Somalia?  Is there functioning cable?  There wasn't in any significant way when Americans were last there.

The absolute best thing I could advise you to do is get out of your armchair (or whatever) , travel & get these questions answered by first hand knowledge not bigoted, media-fed disinformation ?

Curious about chess in Somalia ? Then go there, play chess, meet the people, before posting opinions on internet.

robotjazz
[COMMENT DELETED]
corrijean

Dude, you need the context.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-players/chess-player-of-the-month-may-2012?page=36

robotjazz

OK, mabye he did get weird, I missed all of that stuff. He even went and deleted all of his comments. Any way you look at it, this entire thread got crazy. There were a few pages I missed and I'll go back and read them through.

But I'll say this- more men play chess than women so the talent pool is in our favor, and also when my girlfriend read the post on the first page about spatial awareness and pattern recognition she actually agreed that more men would excel at chess then women, but that it didn't mean a woman will never be champ of the world.

netzach
robotjazz wrote:

This is isane! I started this thread to find answers and discussions about why is there a men's and women's champ title and look where it has gone. Not to say I didn't get a few laughs when reviewing this, in fact, the issue was resolved about 8 comments into the thread. I've seen posts about politics, sexists' posts, and some recent posts about a serious guy that everyone thinks is a stalker. some women try to tease guys and when the guy doesn't go for it they act like you're harrassing them. That's how women are more manipulative socially than men are and that's one thing about chess is that they can't bring that drama to the table. The moves speak for themselves.  

With all due respect robotjazz I did not divert your thread but neither will I let such comments as I responded to go unanswered.

Men VS Women!

This is the thread you started ? Do you seriously consider that to remain on-topic ??

corrijean

Netzach is right. Your topic title will probably attract controversy.

I know more about the business world than the chess world, so I'll give you some points I've gleaned from that (I haven't yet arrived at conclusitons).

14% of Fortune 500 CEO's are women. 17% of the people in my MBA cohort were women. Roughly 10% (just me) of the managers in my company are female.

Women are stereotypically better at emotional intelligence than men. Yet men still make better use of mentoring, aka The Good Ol' Boy network. Is it a numbers game? It seems likely this would have an effect.

But I don't pretend to know the reasons behind it because I don't. It is a complex environment with many factors affecting the outcome.

robotjazz

No, It's cool, I'm just having fun reading what everybody said. My girlfriend and I read this once a night because we started it together. Have fun saying whatever you want, it doesn't really bother me at all. On my previous post, I really think that guy is a creep after I went back and read all of his sick deleted comments, -he couldn't delete the ones people qouted. I hope he gets arrested.

robotjazz
I wanted contoversy so people would read the post. So you are saying there isn't nearly as many men that are mentoring women as there are men mentoring men? I'm low income and work in a warehouse, so I wouldn't know what the buisness world is like, but that seems like it is true but shouldn't be. mabye it's the perception of a man and woman working together, that is a strain on their personal lives at home. ex. jealous or overprotective spouse?
Conflagration_Planet

I skimed through article in some science mag a while back that said that if girls were encouraged to play ball sports as young kids the way boys are, it would help develop their spacial abilities.

This forum topic has been locked