Forums

Ratings Difference

Sort:
Holysword
alexlaw wrote:

be careful when you say e4 qh5 is bad

it's nowhere as bad as it looks. it's not like you have a crazy advantage or anything. All you have is an edge if you play perfectly in the opening (assuming your opponent does too, which isn't likely).

If I am not going insane, I remember a Chess Mentor Lesson saying that this opening is bad (you play black against this opening) and it explains why it often is bad.

I can't find it though, so maybe I was dreaming or something. You can check the openings explorer though, and you will see that normally white either draws or lose, except for one blunder game.

TerribleToll
[COMMENT DELETED]
JubilationTCornpone

Granting ratings won't match, there is certainly no reason for them not to correlate, and given a sufficient sample of players who have played a sufficient sample of games under both systems correlation would be very much expected.  For there to be no correlation, one or both of the systems would have to be meaningless, which is almost certainly not the case.  it is even possible to show (has been shown) a correlation between for example the British Chess Federation system and FIDE/USCF, even though BCF uses a three digit number instead of a four digit number.  For example:    ECF x 8 + 650 = FIDE and   (FIDE - 650) / 8 = ECF.  Now, will that be exact?  Of course not.  But predictive correlation is not the same thing as exact matching.

Holysword

I just read an article here in chess.com written by IM Silman, and then I remembered this old old thread.

He wrote:

"Though your Chess.com rating is in the 1400s, your tournament rating would be closer to 1100 or 1200. Online ratings are often higher than tournament ratings."

which is quite relevant in here.

Source: https://www.chess.com/article/view/can-anyone-be-an-im-or-gm

mariosuperlative

The best you can do, short of entering a rated OTB tournament, is try to find data on percentiles, but this still isn't that great because the different pools may be of different strengths. I'm 81st percentile in blitz and 96th percentile in daily, but that's probably because the daily pool is weaker. I feel like my OTB would probably be somewhere around my rapid, but that's just a semi-random guess based on a flawed sense of what different OTB levels represent.