Forums

Reaching 2000 in CC without OTB Experience

Sort:
Deranged

I'm above 1700 in blitz/bullet/daily/rapid on this site, and only played my first OTB tournament just 1 month ago... I lost multiple games to kids as low as 1100 rating there and as young as 10 years old.

OTB tournaments are just another beast imo.

Michael-Holm
little_guinea_pig wrote:
Vicariously-I wrote:
DeirdreSkye wrote:
Vicariously-I wrote:
DeirdreSkye wrote:
Vicariously-I wrote:
DeirdreSkye wrote:

We had a guy that was 2320 on line in blitz 2 years ago and came to the chess club believing that he will need 6 months to get NM and then he would try for FM and IM.

In his first tournament he couldn't beat 1000 rated players , his second was better and his 3rd dissapointing. 6 months later he abandoned his ambitious project and we never saw him again.His last rating was 1375.

Another guy came with on line rating around 1800 and he is now at 2000 OTB but he too had a lot of trouble adjusting. His first tournaments were disheartening but he was stubborn and eventually did it.

It's impossible to find correlation between on line and OTB , they are 2 very different numbers gained with very different way(different opponents , different conditions of play).

Yeah I know that I likely wouldn't be 2200 OTB but I think that with enough time to adjust I could reach at least 2000. It's not like my chess understanding is immediately going to disappear if I start playing OTB.

OTB chess is not about understanding only. It's many many more things. If you haven't learned to stay focused for 4 to 6 hours , adapting is not going to be easy.Add to this that you often have to play 2 games a day , or 3-4 games in a weekend and you will realise that there many more non chess related skills that decide the result.

But it also depends where you will play.Since rating is actually  a  number that depends on your opponent's skills it's easier to be 2000 in some places than it is in others. If you played in India  or Russia I would tell you that you would probably never be 2000 maybe not even close.

Some good points.  I'm pretty good at staying focused for long periods of time but I would definitely need to work on other things like OTB visualization and calculation (I'm so used to looking at a screen). There's also just the fact that I would be out of my comfort zone. Playing someone face to face is different than playing someone online from the comfort of my home. 

Remember that on line you play someone that might do many things at the same time. Small things capable though  break concentration(answer a phone call or a door bell).In OTB you play against a guy that will do nothing else except playing chess and trying to beat you. Some of your opponents might prepare for this tournament 6 months or more and they want to prove something to themselves.There are certainly many differences between on line chess and OTB chess. I don't doubt that you can adapt but you will need  a lot of patience and determination to get over some bad results against some 1000-1200 rated players.On line players usually give up after losing against 1000 rated Chinese kids over and over again(I use "Chinese" because they are the nemesis of a friend , it might be any kid).

Chess has become increasingly difficult for those that haven't start it as kids. 

Yes I realize that many players don't take online games very seriously and are much stronger when you play them OTB, especially titled players. For example I played GM @DJ_Haubi in 4 daily games (2 standard, 2 chess 960). I won 2 and drew 2 which sounds impressive until you realize that he was playing like it was rapid or even blitz while I was taking a really long time on my moves. So he was basically playing with a severe time handicap and still giving me a hard time. Some of his moves I didn't see coming at all. I know that I wouldn't stand a chance against him in a serious OTB tournament game. Most of my 2100+ daily opponents do take their games very seriously though. I often play against these guys for months because we are both taking our time on every single move. They have a fierce determination to win, or at the very least to not lose.

And yet, whenever I play you, I am lost within 10 moves (compared to playing Stockfish which I am only lost at around move 20-25).

Just bad luck I guess. Also most of our games were played a while back. You've gotten much better since then so you now have a much higher chance of holding your own or even beating me. happy.png

little_guinea_pig
Deranged wrote:

I'm almost 1800 in blitz/bullet/daily/rapid on this site, and only played my first OTB tournament just 1 month ago... I lost multiple games to kids as low as 1100 rating there and as young as 10 years old.

I haven't even tried playing a tournament, because my OTB  play is shameful..... My brother is rated 1000 on chess.com and I have a 17-0 record against him online, but he always beats me on a actual board because I make all sorts of disgusting blunders.....like a 500 player, really!

bong711

If you set Stockfish or Fritz at friendly mode, it woould not beat you within 20 move. Same when playing CC computer at lower level.

SeniorPatzer
Deranged wrote:

I'm above 1700 in blitz/bullet/daily/rapid on this site, and only played my first OTB tournament just 1 month ago... I lost multiple games to kids as low as 1100 rating there and as young as 10 years old.

That surprised me.  I know that OTB is harder, but I didn't know it would be THAT much harder.

Deranged
SeniorPatzer wrote:
Deranged wrote:

That surprised me.  I know that OTB is harder, but I didn't know it would be THAT much harder.

Yeah it surprised me too. I was extremely disappointed with my results. They assigned me a FIDE rating of 1138 after the tournament LOL.

At least I might be able to win a rating prize next time...

Titled_Patzer

Or next time lose 5 out of 6 with a rating of <1000, that is, unless you forget about expectation/rating points and just play the game.

"Might be able to win a rating prize" ...

Foolishness. Why are you playing? Just to win a prize? Feel you have something to prove - like being "smarter" ?

Ghost_Horse0
AntiNetwork wrote:
2000 FIDE isn’t that hard imo. You just need to stop blundering pawns and pieces in longer games, and have some basic positional understanding (outpost, open lines, advanced pawn).

That gets you to maybe 1300, not 2000 lol.

2000 is "easy" (as easy as something can be when only a small % of people get there) as long as you start at a reasonable age, play for years, and work to develop every part of your game (sure the Kasparovs of the world may have gotten to 2000 with practically no effort). In other words if "regular" people put in the time and effort it's certainly possible.

Ghost_Horse0
bong711 wrote:

Is it possible for online chess players to reach 2000 in daily, rapid, blitz or bullet without playing in OTB tournaments? 

It's possible to reach GM strength without going to an OTB tournament. How do you think people in the old days did it? They mostly played in clubs and analyzed games at home. They didn't even have puzzles! tongue.png (at least nothing like what we have access to these days).

drmrboss

People always forget that 2000+  blitz/ bullet/ OTB are top 5% of players.

Have you ever achieved top 5% in anything in your life?

You need considerable amount of hardwork, dedication, tip and trick.

Try running to be top 5% ?

Try shooting in battle royale to be top 5%?

Try to be top 5% in academic achievements?

I mean, it is always a hard job to be > 95% in any popular competition.

DaniilKalabukhov

People nowadays are facing a lot of GM's games, watch GM's streams and sometimes have really doubtful expectations. They believe they can achieve 2200 easily so they just need to stop blundering pieces. But they don't see how many hours regular strong GM spent putting his nose in the book.

Ghost_Horse0

It's all perception. If you get to 2300 then 2300s will be weak and the "real" chess players who "actually know what they're doing" will be >2500.

Lots of chess players talk like this.

Saw some GM lecture where he said you can get to 2500 with just tactics, but if you want to be actually good (like him, a 2600 GM) you have to learn some strategy too.

It's all nonsense. From (almost) the beginning players have to learn a little bit of everything.

bong711
drmrboss wrote:

People always forget that 2000+  blitz/ bullet/ OTB are top 5% of players.

Have you ever achieved top 5% in anything in your life?

You need considerable amount of hardwork, dedication, tip and trick.

Try running to be top 5% ?

Try shooting in battle royale to be top 5%?

Try to be top 5% in academic achievements?

I mean, it is always a hard job to be > 95% in any popular competition.

Great attitude. I'm happy to be within top 10% of any category.

Lordananas

interesting

agelessads

I've never played OTB tournaments and am a 2400+ online. Have limited experience playing OTB in general. The few times I have played OTB, it took a bit of getting used to playing with 3D pieces. Online everything is 2D so you get used to looking at the board that way happy.png.

Also, time management was a bit difficult for me cause I'm so used to bullet/blitz that I was playing at a similar pace in a 20 min game. That works fine when you're playing <2000s but when you have 2000+ players, you have to get a bit more involved with the game.

bong711
agelessads wrote:

I've never played OTB tournaments and am a 2400+ online. Have limited experience playing OTB in general. The few times I have played OTB, it took a bit of getting used to playing with 3D pieces. Online everything is 2D so you get used to looking at the board that way .

Also, time management was a bit difficult for me cause I'm so used to bullet/blitz that I was playing at a similar pace in a 20 min game. That works fine when you're playing <2000s but when you have 2000+ players, you have to get a bit more involved with the game.

Online bullet players play with Mouse. Moving a physical piece and punching the clock is different.

Chess_Night5030
bong711 wrote:
Vicariously-I wrote:

I'm 2200 online and I've never played in an OTB tournament.

Have you thought of trying OTB tournament? It would be interesting to see if your online performance can be duplicated in OTB.

What is a OTB tournament?