Forums

TACTIC BOOK for 1700 player

Sort:
timothysmall56

Hi, i play on icc , and my standard rating there is 1779. So i guess my USCF rating is 1630-1700. Can you help me find 3 good tactic books for my level range? Thanks

chessmaster102

hmmm 

Lazlo Polgar 5001 book is good for anybody.

Have you tried compiling a notebook of chess tactics that occured from your past games ?

1001 winning chess sacrifices is good.

timothysmall56

Dont want to bother with compililing. I prefer a cool, light book to carry with me. I also prefer algebric notation. So far i have done Bain's tactic book and Winning Chess tactics for juniors. It says not to do Combination Challenge until 1750 or 1800 uscf.

timothysmall56

Well  I wont get into useless discussions about ratings. Im just looking for genuine help on the most effecient way to train tactics. I am a member on chess tempo, but i didnt train there because i read De La Maza book called rapid chess improvement, and i do my books with the 7 circles method. I would love to switch back to chess tempo because they have unlimited problems. But that also means that i cant do the 7 circle method. So should I do set problems or standard problems on tempo. And how will i know if im getting better with training on tempo?

micaman994

If you solve puzzles on chess.com everyday and practice with tactics trainer on this site your tactics will improve.A good book is Art of attack in chess!

Andre_Harding

Chess School 1b by Sergey Ivaschenko.

Quasimorphy

The Yusupov books are:

Build Up Your Chess

1. Fundamentals

2. Beyond the Basics

3. Mastery

Boost Your Chess(3 books)

Chess Evolution(3 books)

The book titles are the same within each trilogy and I think the recommended order of study is the three Fundamentals books(starting with Build then Boost then Evolution) then the three Beyond the Basics books then the three Mastery books.

I've ordered Build Up Your Chess: Fundamentals but it hasn't arrived yet.

Another book you might want to consider is Forcing Chess Moves by Charles Hertan.

Ziryab

Alburt, Chess Training Pocket Book II

Gaprishdashvili, Imagination in Chess

Reinfield, 1001 Chess Combinations and Sacrifices

Quasimorphy

Ziryab wrote:

I've stood staring at positions in that book in the bookstore so long that the clerks probably thought I was catatonic. Seemed like a good book if someone is up to the challenge.

shrewDynamite

''improve your chess Tactics: 700 Practical Lessons & Exercises'' by Neishtadt is good, and it's ordered by theme. Doing the excercises without a board will raise your tactical strenght more efficiently. This book kept me busy on my most recent flight.

Gaprindashvili is great, but it's ordered by techniques of thinking and not by tactical themes. So you should be familiar with the themes before starting this book.

Another great book, but takes hard labour to work it trough is Averbach's tactics for the advanced player.

timothysmall56

Tacticasymphony was right about doing tactics on a server. They do have an unlimited supply.

TheGreatOogieBoogie

I'd suggests David LeMoire'sHow to be a Deadly Chess Tactician.  Sure, the volume of problems is nowhere near Chesstempo, but it goes over the principles of tactics and explains various motifs.  As for volume of tactics, I gave you a good recommendation because chesstempo caters tactical puzzles to your current skill level, so if you're 1700 you will receive 1500-1900 difficulty tactics. 

enprise1234

I think that Dan Heisman has said the ICC Standard is 150-200 higher than USCF.  I have a 1460 USCF with a 1800 ICC Standard.

Mac42

"Chessercizes" by Bruce Pandolfini. Handy, portable and challenging. Problems are taken from actual GM games, so they're not theoretical in nature. I study mine regularly and you will find that recording your solutions is a good measure of progress as well as a method of highlighting your weaknesses.

Ziryab
Quasimorphy wrote:

Ziryab wrote:

I've stood staring at positions in that book in the bookstore so long that the clerks probably thought I was catatonic. Seemed like a good book if someone is up to the challenge.

I find it quite challenging, but in conjunction with the other two I named should offer plenty for the 1700 player.

timothysmall56

i doubt that idimayuga has a 1800 icc record with a 1460 uscf record. Little did you know, that dan Heisman is my coach and he does say that icc ratings are 150 higher than uscf ratings. So Idimayuga, you should be 1600-1650 on icc. I play there several times a week with 45/45 and 90/30 games. I bought dans book called the Improving chees Thinker, and it says that players with a rating of 1400-1600 uscf are equal to 1550-1750 icc standard.  You are a Class C player, so that means that your main problem is blundering pieces. And 1800 icc standard players blunders are few.

enprise1234

I don't play OTB often so my 1400 was also my first rating when I started 19 years ago.  I've had a >1800 ICC Standard for the last 2 years as my coach GM Villamayor can confirm.  I was just making the point that the gap is not A player ICC Standard = E player USCF.  That's definitely way off. 

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Internet ratings aren't real anyway.  If you cite a rating for credibility it must either be FIDE, USCF, or any national official ratings for those outside America.  On the Internet someone's (real life) master uncle or whatever can give them hints. 

enprise1234

I think we got off topic however you might want to consider "Winning Chess Tactics for Juniors".  It's $10 on Amazon.

enprise1234

Because some people like books.  Before I go to bed I look at a tactics book rather than have a laptop on doing CT-Art, etc...